My husband has a gun

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:07 pm
Pbbbt! A few minutes on the grinding wheel to get rid of those serial number sand a 1911 would fetch at least $1200 down in Southie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:20 pm
This is tooooo weird, that you can't just turn it in to the police. I'm not sure I believe that, not to just dispute fishiin'.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:44 pm
ossobuco wrote:
This is tooooo weird, that you can't just turn it in to the police. I'm not sure I believe that, not to just dispute fishiin'.

Some PD's here in MA may take it and not do anything else. But you run the risk of being arrested if you don't have a lic. and the firearm isn't registered. People have been arrested for it before. The only time you are assured of not having any problems is when they run their little amnesty programs. The last one was in July 2006. It's kind of a crapshoot if your local PD likes being a PITA.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:22 pm
Who cares about a serial number. That gat's gonna go back pre 1964 anyway. And hey, who knows for sure it's not just a lump of rust in there.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:44 am
Cheezits just send it to me!!!!

My family "arsenal" currently includes four shotguns, five rifles in various calibers, two handguns, a pump pellet/BB gun, and numerous bows. It'll be part of the family!

I always chuckle when the media talks about "weapons caches" and will say something retarded like "over 500 rounds of ammuntion were found...". A standard .22LR "brick' contains 500 rounds and is one of the most common things sold in any store that sells ammo.

Note that there is no federal licensing requirements for long guns. If your state has them, they are violating your constitutional right to bear arms GUARANTEED to you by the 2A.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:21 am
Maybe just give it to a russian girl.

It isn't a big deal to travel with a gun in the car if you take the proper precautions.

I'm not sure if this is a law, or just a good practice, but Mr. Tea always triple bags his guns when traveling.

First it goes in a small closed gun case, then into a larger zippered bag, which then goes into the truck, or, in his case, the glove compartment.

Linkat, why don't you just take the case to a locksmith? They should be able to get it open.

Personally, I don't have a problem with firearms in the house, since they are all properly locked away or in a place where they can be used as protection from intruders.

Question linkat...What are your fears about having the gun in your home? Is it your children, feeling someone will break in and steal it? Use it against you? Or all of them plus others?

I don't argue with your wanting NOT to have it, but I'm always curious when responsible people say they don't. Sometimes I feel like they think this weapon is going to jump up by itself an shoot you.

I'm no expert, but I do like target shooting, and know I'm in control of the gun, not vice versa.....since you husband was an educator, would it make any difference if you were taught to shoot? Do you fear the gun because you don't know if it's in your control?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:40 pm
I bid 100.00 on the mystery box...as is.

----

I would call a gun dealer, and get his input on the legal aspect, and go from there. If you end up keeping it, whatever you do, do not drive with it thru Ill.

Edit: Don't even think about driving thru Ill with it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
Screw IL. What a 2A retarded state.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
Have you ever seen this page cj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:56 pm
No but I like it. Can I edit it? LOL!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
No but I like it. Can I edit it? LOL!

You really tried that Shocked
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:09 pm
No but I noticed some copyright infringement notices in there - Wikipedia is a strange beast indeed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:12 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
I bid 100.00 on the mystery box...as is.

----

I would call a gun dealer, and get his input on the legal aspect, and go from there. If you end up keeping it, whatever you do, do not drive with it thru Ill.

Edit: Don't even think about driving thru Ill with it.

I don't get it.

I've driven through Ill with a firearm, cased up, as described above....and Mr. Tea has damn sure driven through there.

What's supposed to be the big problem based on that link?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:19 pm
How to Transport your Gun Legally (Deadly Weapons Article 720 ILCS 5/24)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:24 pm
Quote:
How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:
- Unloaded,
- Enclosed in a case and,
- By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Quote:
I have a friend/relative who has a "conceal and carry" permit issued in the state in which they reside. Is the permit recognized in Illinois?
No. Non-residents are subject to Illinois law, restrictions, and penalties, and should be familiar with them if the non-resident plans to bring a firearm into the state of Illinois.

source: Illinois State Police
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:26 pm

ok.....?

I mean, there's a lot of text there, but if you're not doing anything illegal, or planning on it, and have your gun properly stowed....what's the problem?

Was there some purpose to that link?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:27 pm
Chai wrote:

Was there some purpose to that link?

Well, yes.

No, sorry for posting that information - I didn't notice that Mrs Chai and/ or Mr Tea had a valid Illinois FOID card.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:11 pm
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state;
or

(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

Walter, a FOID is a Firearm Owners ID Card....It doesn't say specific to Illinois, neither of us are Illinois residents...Our guns are broken down or not immediately accessible, and are unloaded when transported.

We have Firearm Owners ID Cards, or its equivilent, in Texas.

Gun owner does not mean gun crazy.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:34 pm
Section 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
other than the glove compartment or console.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/18/parts/i/chapters/44/sections/section_926a.html

----------

That's the actual statute...so legally you should be fine. BUT...that does not mean that you won't get raked over the coals. Some cities are very strict...mainly up north in the Chicago area....and although they can not supersede federal law...they can make your trip a bad one....if you run across any blogs or message boards where this is discussed, you will see the same advice I will give....stop at the border and lock the gun in a case, in the trunk. Of course you will also hear things such as...."The Peoples Republic of Illinois"....and words like...Fascist, Natzi and Commie are slung regularly.

For the record, yes I do this too....but I tend to avoid using the extreme right terminology, I confine my diatribe toward the commie angle...because I'm good at it....and I often throw in Yankee bastards for some flair.

I live near Cairo IL., which means I also live near KY, MO and KY laws are quite lax compared to those in IL, I don't know anyone that would recommend traveling into IL with a pistol, much less simply traveling into IL. At times I have to, because of work, and I always make sure all my lights are in working order, that I have nothing that could be used as a weapon in the truck...and I put on my stupid ass seat belt....MO, 10.00 fine...IL is 50.00 any others it jumps to 100.00.

I-57 is a major drug trafficking vein, the police are thick and unforgiving, I avoid it if possible.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:04 pm
heh, Mr. Tea's from Sandoval....for some reason he chose to take on a Kentucky accent in his youth, which as now morphed into Texas.

Cairo...have you read American Gods? Ancient gods still exist in America because people from other cultures brought them over....Mr. Ibis and Mr. Jackal run a funeral parlor in Cairo (pronounced Kay-row, right?) Very clever book.

I will warn Mr. Tea. I'll let you know his reply 2packs..(snort)

I have a feeling you two would get along really well.
0 Replies