SNL - 101 Most Unforgettable SNL Moments

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 03:39 pm
The E! Entertainment Channel

101 Most Unforgettable SNL Moments will count down No. 20 to No. 1 on Sunday Oct 7 @ 6 pm EDT.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,694 • Replies: 10
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:42 pm
I have to say that I love when Gwynneth Paltrow hosts. I don't particularly enjoy her as an actress in her movies- but for whatever reason, on SNL she's had some stellar moments.

I like the one where she's eating dinner at her friend's house and the parents are Will Farrell and Ana Gasteyer and they're these very WASP-Y type people and apparently, and the character Gwynneth plays is from the same kind of background, but she's trying to portray herself as exactly the opposite- really ghetto- and they say to her, "Well, Amanda- (or whatever) I know your parents just returned from their summer hiatus in Europe. How did they enjoy it?"

And Gwynneth's character spouts, "I don't know! Why don't you AXE THEM" - as she grasps her fork in her fist and tries her hardest to hide her breeding.

Then on the opposite end of the spectrum- I like the one where she plays the racist society matron who shops at Talbot's, wears a twin-set and pearls and just spouts the most stereotypical hate speech about middle-easterners in front of her husband's co-worker who is himself, Lebanese.

I also really like any of the bohemian professor scenes with Will Farrell and the short little elf-like girl (I can't remember her name right now) in the hot tub, etc. Those guys are hysterical.

This actually makes me wish I had tv for the night!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:55 pm
I'm sure the Sinead O'Connor incident will be pretty high on the list, as will Norm MacDonald's infamous on-camera swearing.
0 Replies

Oleander

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:37 pm
SNL - 101 top 20 SNL Moments
aidan

Quote:
I have to say that I love when Gwynneth Paltrow hosts. I don't particularly enjoy her as an actress in her movies- but for whatever reason, on SNL she's had some stellar moments.

Please tell what is wrong with her in movies; I notice she has 30+ films. I liked her in her Oscar winning role in Shakespeare in Love, in 1998. Also, Sliding Doors, and Moonlight and Valentino to name a few.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:53 pm
What was the Sinead O'Connor incident?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:00 pm
She tore in half a picture of the Pope during her set.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:00 pm
ah, the Pope incident.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:01 pm
She tore up a picture of the Pope, while saying something like....the real evil...or something like that.

I laughed quite hard.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:12 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
while saying something like....the real evil...or something like that.

I believe it was "Fight the real enemy!" The producers of SNL say they had no idea she was going to do it; apparently during rehearsals she'd used a different photo.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:13 pm
yeah, i just saw it on YouTube. It was more uncomfortable and kinda painful than funny to me. She was an abused child, and seems that she was going through some serious shite at the time. But it was certainly memorable.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:57 am
Re: SNL - 101 top 20 SNL Moments
Oleander wrote:
aidan

Quote:

Please tell what is wrong with her in movies; I notice she has 30+ films. I liked her in her Oscar winning role in Shakespeare in Love, in 1998. Also, Sliding Doors, and Moonlight and Valentino to name a few.

I can't think of anything particularly wrong with her in her movies- I guess I should have said, "She's not my all-time favorite actress" or "She's not an actress that bowls me over or appeals to me in any particular way"- until she does her schtick on SNL- and then I love her. I actually look forward to seeing her.

I also really love when she plays a singer in the group, "Gemini's Twin" in which she again is this white girl whose real name is Bridget but she changed it to some much more ethnic sounding name because she says, "Bridget sounds MAD WHITE" and she talks on and on about loving to go on tour because she gets to ride the bus and eat at places like Bob Evans or Popeyes and have buiscuits and gravy.

I enjoy her comedic work more than I do her dramatic work. She should do more comedies- although I don't know how it would pan out in the mainstream away and apart from the writers and skit situation on SNL-they seem to be a perfect fit for her- at least in terms of my taste.
0 Replies