History of Disbelief

noinipo

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:16 am
By chance I saw the first episode of Jonathan Miller's new series. He is the man I admire most and he always fascinates me. The time has come for atheists to realize that their group is growing rapidly.
We all agree that religions don't do much good in securing peace and justice on this planet. It is incredible that in today's world there are many politicians who have to hide their atheism for fear of punishment.
In this first ever television history of disbelief, Jonathan Miller goes on a journey exploring the origins of his own lack of belief and uncovering the hidden story of atheism.
Shadows of Doubt
BBC Two Monday 31 October 2005 7pm-8pm
Jonathan Miller visits the absent Twin Towers to consider the religious implications of 9/11 and meets Arthur Miller and the philosopher Colin McGinn. He searches for evidence of the first 'unbelievers' in Ancient Greece and examines some of the modern theories around why people have always tended to believe in mythology and magic.
Noughts and Crosses
BBC Two Monday 7 November 7pm-8pm
With the domination of Christianity from 500 AD, Jonathan Miller wonders how disbelief began to re-emerge in the 15th and 16th centuries. He discovers that division within the Church played a more powerful role than the scientific discoveries of the period. He also visits Paris, the home of the 18th century atheist, Baron D'Holbach, and shows how politically dangerous it was to undermine the religious faith of the masses.
The Final Hour
BBC Two Monday 14 November 7pm-8pm TBC
The history of disbelief continues with the ideas of self-taught philosopher Thomas Paine, the revolutionary studies of geology and the evolutionary theories of Darwin. Jonathan Miller looks at the Freudian view that religion is a 'thought disorder'. He also examines his motivation behind making the series touching on the issues of death and the religious fanaticism of the 21st century.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/atheism.shtml
http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/tvschedulessearch_results.html?station=WNED&keywordPBS=history+of+disbelief&channel=-1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2045941.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 946 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Lisa Simpson

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:56 am
Sound like a good program, but I'm guessing it's only showing on the regular BBC not BBC America?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:04 am
No, I'm in America, and I saw the program.

I'd comment, but I slept in this morning, and I'm still drowsy.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:21 pm
Sorry, mistake
0 Replies

justcallmeblue

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 06:47 am
interesting......
i'm not some sort of religious fanatic but i think in the cosmic sense of things, with the universe just being so vast, it is presumptous of us, as the human race, to think that nothing could have created us. that's not to say that's there's nessesarily a god...maybe aliens created us or something. being close minded as an athiest is just as dangerous as being close minded in a religion. you have to wonder about the big bang theory though: in the beginning, there was nothing.....then it exploded.

sounds like it will be a very intriguing show.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
It is entirely possible that in the beginning there was a 'Halliburton-in-the-sky' and someone paid for the construction of the universe.
Would make a great movie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
justcallmeblue wrote:
i'm not some sort of religious fanatic but i think in the cosmic sense of things, with the universe just being so vast, it is presumptous of us, as the human race, to think that nothing could have created us.

That claim is not logically founded. There is equally no reason to assue that the human race were created--and references to how relatively vast the universe is have nothing to do with the probability of having been "created."
0 Replies