Any advice for adding on to a house?

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:26 am
I have a screened in deck at the moment, with a roof that isn't part of the house's actual roof line, and I want to change that into another real room, and then put a screaned in patio next to it.

Has anyone done anything similar and have any words of advice?

I know that sometimes things go wrong, and you think, "If I had only been warned, I could have avoided that problem." Any helpful words would be appreciated... Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:54 am
EmilyGreen -

Depending on your budget I would engage the services of a professional architectural service to avoid a "Rube Goldberg" mess which might cost you more in the long run.

Good luck
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:59 am
Well, we want to do it right, when the time comes. Its just one room added on, maybe that won't be too much of a fiasco. Thank you for the tip! Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:14 pm
Re: Any advice for adding on to a house?
EmilyGreen wrote:
I have a screened in deck at the moment, with a roof that isn't part of the house's actual roof line, and I want to change that into another real room, and then put a screaned in patio next to it.

Has anyone done anything similar and have any words of advice?

I know that sometimes things go wrong, and you think, "If I had only been warned, I could have avoided that problem." Any helpful words would be appreciated... Very Happy

It doesn't sound like you need Bob what's his face, Emily.

As long as the roof over the screened in porch is a good serviceable roof then why not just take out the screening and build walls in its place? You can then snake wires from the house, [basement] to add a few plugs/lights and drywall, panel, wood panel it.

Adding a new porch might be the greater problem as you could be running out of roof height. It's hard to tell without seeing it?
0 Replies