Paddle shifting

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:06 pm
What exactly is "paddle shifting"? I gather it eliminates the clutch, but what's the difference between that and automatic shifting? Is this something that's coming on ordinary autos, or is it/will it be confined to sportsmodels? Is it "the next big thing"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,319 • Replies: 7
No top replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:09 pm
Its IRL racing technology that has trickled down to us common folk. Its pretty easy with today's electronically controlled transmissions. It comes optional on automatics and manuals. With automatics, most of the shifting is done electronically anyway, so the actual shift lever is easy to eliminate and replace with paddles. In the case of manuals, its a bit different. They use automatically-engaging clutches and servo-type rails to shift the tranny for you. Its a whole different thing that I'm just beginning to understand, but if you get the chance, go test drive a new BMW M3 with the paddle shift. If it doesn't make you scream in ecstasy then you just aren't ready for it yet Smile
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:06 am
Paddle shifting
That's ok as far as it goes, but where are the paddles? What do they look like? Do they require being used at certain speeds? And why do they make such a difference?
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 02:31 am
The paddles are located at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the steering wheel. Shift up by yanking the right paddle, down by yanking the left paddle. The benefit is complete 2-handed control of the wheel while shifting.

They don't require being used at any speed. Just like an electronic automatic, it won't let you shift into a "wrong" gear. The computer overrides. In the case of a manual with paddle shift, the computer prevents the engine from overrevving, and it also prevents shifting into too low of a gear... just like a regular manual with a stick on the floor.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 03:10 am
Paddle shifting
Seems to me that paddle-shifting is still pretty-much high end feature that's going to take a while before filtering down to the masses. It does look interesting, combining both manual and automatic worlds, and sounding like giving more control to the driver than the standard automatic shift system.

However, I'm not in the market for a Ferrari or a Lamborghini this morning...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 04:10 am
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2563000-2563999/2563772_8_full.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 04:56 am
Re: Paddle shifting
Tomkitten wrote:
Seems to me that paddle-shifting is still pretty-much high end feature that's going to take a while before filtering down to the masses. It does look interesting, combining both manual and automatic worlds, and sounding like giving more control to the driver than the standard automatic shift system.

However, I'm not in the market for a Ferrari or a Lamborghini this morning...

The wife just got a $25K Mini auto that's got paddle shifting. Not the a Hyundai, to be sure, but I wouldn't call it high-end, either.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 04:12 pm
For now, I call it a gimmick. Its just another way of shifting an automatic in most cases. True enthusiasts hate them because (just like any electronic automatic) the computer is too restrictive. It makes too many choices for you. Add to that the tendency for automakers to use soft, slow shifts and the paddles just get frustrating. If I smack the paddle, I want it to shift NOW, but most of them are slow and numb.

The BMW paddle shift is a true manual in a sorta sequential style. It still has too much computer input for me, but its one of the best iterations of it yet.
0 Replies