Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:17 pm
In New York State, effective November 30th, any residence (i.e. single family, multi-family, condo, co-op) that is sold must have carbon monoxide detector(s).

Note: I put the 's' in parentheses cause the State hasn't decided yet what kind and/or how many but you must have it/them.

I had been under the impression that they were needed mainly for homes with gas heaters/stoves, but apparently they are needed for everyone. Aside from running the car in the garage and having a fire in the fireplace with a clogged chimney, they suggest that cigarette smoking can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Seems to me it would take a lot of people smoking a lot of cigarettes in a very tightly closed room to create that much carbon monoxide, but guess I'm wrong.

Anyway, do any of you have these detectors yet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,128 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:55 pm
I've had them for going on 3 years now. Had the place prettty well smoked up too and they never went off from that.

Homes that have any type of combustion can benefit from having them. Oil burning furnaces create carbon monoxide too - very common around the northeast. (Most homes in the northeast use either natural gas or oil burning heating systems.)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:02 pm
It's certainly not a bad idea, fishin', though it would be nice if the state would decide how many we need to sell our house. And I'm still not sure I know enough people who still smoke to create a carbon monoxide hazard in my house.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:08 pm
It does seem a little silly that they would mandate that you have them but not say what the required coverage is! D'oh!

My guess would be one per floor per living unit (i.e. a 2 story single family home gets 2, a 2 story 2 family home gets 4, etc..) but they could pretty much come up with almost anything.
0 Replies

Datamill

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:27 am
Quote:
When placing the alarms in your home, follow recommendations of NFPA 720 and manufacturer's recommendations. CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.

Found the info above at:

http://www.att.com/ehs/safety/carbon_monoxide.html
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:58 pm
Thanks for the link, Datamill. Sounds fairly reasonable, but I would imagine that, as fishin' suggests, multi-storied homes would need another one in or around the furnace area. But then, I'm not the State of New York.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:56 pm
Regardless of state laws, these things are a good idea. I suspect that's especially true in homes with central heating furnaces. Not so much of a problem down here. I don't know anyone with central heating.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
I think it is a good idea for anyone to have at least one unit in their home <someday Ill take my own advice> but, just a bit of a story to let you know how important it can be to have them located in each childs bedroom.
My goddaughters bedroom, now we know very well is located above the heating units venting system, however, it was due to CO poisioning that this was found out. Goddaughter is also severe asthmatic, so the problem was recognizable to her before anyone else in the house, however, she dismissed it, as did everyone else as due to asthma or perhaps another oncoming illness. Not until the point at which it was lifethreatening and she was brought to the hospital was it ever imagined that Co poisioning could be involved. It was found that a problem was in the heating system and that it was concentrated in the system most greatly in the area below her bedroom. It is a certain silent killer.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:58 pm
Often I have worried about this problem. Especially when I owned a home with a furnace in it. That darned thing scared me to death and I had the monitors. Now that I live in an apartment and cannot see the furnace or hear it firing up I worry less but I am sure the danger is just as great. But you know how it is, out of sight out of mind!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:56 am
Remember, Daylight Savings ends this weekend--and it's time to change the batteries in all electronic watchmen.
0 Replies