Movie: Ordinary People

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:06 pm
This oscar winner from the past has always "spoken to me". I have
seen it many times, but never tire of it. Donald Sutherland as the Dad, and Mary Tyler Moore as the Mom, are priceless in their respective
roles. It does date itself by Mary being furious at the Dad for letting
one of their friends know that their son is seeing a psychiatrist. But,
no matter. The family had two sons, and one has recently drowned
in a boating accident, the son who survived is drowning in guilt, loss,
grief & he attempted suicide and really meant to do it. Jeremy (the
living son) seems lost, unable to connect with any of their old friends, unable to deal with the being the boy marked at school as "that is the
kid whose brother drowned". Finally, the boy does begin seeing a psychiatrist, whose performance was excellent ( though I can not remember who played that role). I think that one of the reasons this
was an Oscar winner in its year is that is has universal appeal. We
watch ordinary people coming to accept life on life's terms; or refusing
to. We see how an individuals desire for, ability to and fearlessness to seek outside help when the going gets way too hard. How many couples
who have lost a child ( be it to an accident, illness, or a violent crime )
end up getting divorced??? Never able to recover. Mary plays her role
so flawlessly, she is remarkable as the consciencious, picture perfect Mom, yet throughout the entire film - is devoid of emotion. Like a
doll, or a bug captured in tree sap and stuck there - rigid and immobile, for eternity. Donald Sutherland's performance is so very real. He is
genuinely terrified at the idea of losing their only remaining son, and
does his utmost to try to "be there for their son". Mary as Mom resents this attention totally. She expects everyone to play their part THE WAY
SHE DOES. Never let outsiders have any idea what is really going on
inside OUR closed doors. How many of us are like this. Expecting others
to deal with, or not deal with, some of lifetime's hardest things to cope with. As Donald's business buddy tries to tell him to let it go, the son
will grow up & go off to college, and then you will rarely ever see him again. But, as the concerned parent, Dad has to keep an eye on his
son. He senses that danger is still there, and it is. His keen awareness about his son, is so compelling - it may be THIS that so attracts me to
this movie. Growing up with an alcoholic, bipolar & generally insane mother AND a workaholic father; it does strike a chord in me..... about the caring never received. Just as the movie reaches its crisis point;
Dad watches as Mom rejects the son's embrace, the kid is REALLY trying so hard, but there was just nothing there in her. When Dad tries to talk
to Mom about his feelings, big surprise!! Mary just silently, swiftly, eloquently & completely devoid of any emotion- goes to the bedroom, packs her bags, calls a cab, and is gone. Truly chilling performance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,479 • Replies: 11
No top replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 06:47 am
Hi Babs

I'm a great admirer of Ordinary People, too. I hadn't seen it for years, then borrowed it from my video shop a few weeks ago.
Was delighted to see that it had remained as fresh & engaging as the first viewing. (Though I must admit that I found the very dramatic, chain- smoking psychiatrist a little funny & dated, this time around.)
But Mary Tyler Moore (sp?) was as brilliant as I remembered her to be. That was a terrific, very credible performance, I agree.
The agony of the father, having to choose between his son & wife, was just as convincing & moving.
A little gem of a film!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:39 pm
That is very true about the chain smoking psych, but - yes I adore it also, It is nice to meet you MSOLGA - you come from down under I see. Born there, or moved to it? That is one of the things I love about Able2Know and Abuzz, though Abuzz had its share of problems.... anyway - good to meet another newbie. Hope we pass by each other again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 04:55 pm
It took courage for Robert Redford to bite into this serious material and do it without flinching. It's a tough going but it worth it -- you have to be in the right mood for this one. I feel "Quiz Show" is Redford's best film and I really am gripped by the depth of the poignancy in "A River Runs Through It."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 03:59 am
And a pleasure to meet you, too, Babs!
How did I get to Oz? My family migrated here when I was one year old ... So I may as well have been born here. Best place on earth! (unbiased opinion!)

I'm sure we'll be bumping into each other on A2K ... Welcome to you, too!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:31 pm
Films Ordinary People etc
I was so amazed - stunned really, by A River Runs Through It
By its aching, wondrous, magnificent sadness, The scene where
his brother is fly fishing in the river and is at his finest, at his epitome
of skill and grace and pure poetry moving along in the river, a part of the river, a part of that day, chasing after that fish. I felt like, if only he could stop right there - right at that very moment in time- at that "finest" of moments perhaps. If only life could pause at our finest moment and be
a still monument to absolute perfection ( sigh )
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:34 pm
Film Ordinary People
Unbiased indeed msolga!! I am certain we shall "meet again on the avenue, tangled up in blue" Can u guess whose work that is?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:44 pm
Babs

The only "tangled up in blue" I know of is good old Bob D.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 09:52 pm
Films - ordinary people
Why dear msolga, we DO have some things in common now, don't we? I have always been a total Dylan fan, and no doubt always will be. You're a right smart sheila, isn't that so?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 04:28 am
Babs

"right exhausted" more like it at the moment. (Have just finished a lengthy job application & it's really hot & muggy here!)
I used to be a major, major Dylan addict, but think I over-exposed myself to his music .... it got so I new EVERY note, every breath, every word backwards, forwards & side-ways! ... Just nothing new left. Sad.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:55 pm
I agree that "Ordinary People" was an excellent and deserving academy award winner. It came at a time when three heart tuggers won in a short period of time, "Ordinary People", "Kramer vs Kramer", and "Terms of Endearment". I'll never forget the hospital scene where the older son can not bring himself to tell his mother that he forgives her. The scene that stays with me from "Kramer vs Kramer" is the one in which the son is testing his daddy to see just how far he can push him (the eating ice cream in the kitchen scene).

Judging from the poll results, I wish Able2know members had more effect on film makers.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 10:58 am
Hello again Flyboy, I seem to
remember you from another
discussion - thanks for your
intelligent & thoughtful post.
I had forgotten about all the
other tear jerkers that came
out in that particular year.
0 Replies