Dishwasher Problems

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:02 am
No water is getting to my dishwasher. I checked the other stuff such as washing machine, shower, tap water, etc. All OK! Do you think it could be electrical? I ask this because when I got back from Virginia, my fridge was not working. I fixed that myself after discovering the outlets on the right side of my kitchen were not functioning properly.

Not certain whether to call a plumber or an electrician, or both.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 5
No top replies

justalurker

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:29 am
Re: Dishwasher Problems
Letty wrote:
No water is getting to my dishwasher. I checked the other stuff such as washing machine, shower, tap water, etc. All OK! Do you think it could be electrical? I ask this because when I got back from Virginia, my fridge was not working. I fixed that myself after discovering the outlets on the right side of my kitchen were not functioning properly.

Not certain whether to call a plumber or an electrician, or both.

Any help would be appreciated.

Check to see that the GFI (ground fault interrupter) in the kitchen is working properly.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:38 am
UhOh, justalurker. What's a ground fault interrupter?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:03 pm
It's basically a switch that trips off and has to be reset. It would be in plain site, probably over the counter. It has two buttons: test and reset. It is a safety feature.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:07 pm
Letty wrote:
UhOh, justalurker. What's a ground fault interrupter?

It's a special outlet usually installed in a kitchen and bathroom... where electricity and water are in proximity.

Look for and duplex outlet that has two buttons in the middle between the two outlets. If the GFI "pops" it cuts off the power in that circuit. If it can be reset by the reset button then you're OK if not then there's an electrical problem or the GFI outlet has failed and needs to be replaced. Consult an electrician... 110v kills.

http://www.electrical-supply.net/images/products/GFCI15IVa(2).jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:20 pm
Thanks, edgar and justalurker. I'm afraid that my outlets have no ground fault interrupter, but guess what?

I fixed the dishwasher ALL BY MYSELF. There was miniature debris stuck in the holes of the sprayer. I dug it out and now everything works. I'll check with my handyman on the other problem when he calls back.
0 Replies