can someone identify artist of described painting?

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 01:48 pm
I believe it is fairly well known. I believe it was a self portrait done by a woman artist. Not sure of when 1800's? Maybe earlier 1900's. Shows her seated at an easel and there is an almost eerie light on her face. I think she was blond (going by memory). She seems to be seated in a somewhat shadowed area, possibly in a building and there are people far off distant in the background where there is sunlight.

Can anyone please identify this? It's important to me. There was a framed print of it hanging in an apartment when I was a child (1960's).

Thanks!
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 512 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:27 pm
What is the woman wearing? Is she inside a room, by a window or outside?
During my college days I cataloged images for an art library and this does not seem familiar.

Is the style impressionistic, surrealism, realism, classical etc? What makes you pick 1800's or early 1900's as possible dates.

You might want to find this book and see if the painting is documented:

Mirror, Mirror: Self Portraits by Women
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:18 pm
Suggestion

http://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pages/artists/artists_a-k/anguissola/Anguissola_SelfPortraitOfTheArtistAtHerEasel.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:33 pm
Whether the suggestion is right or not, I like the painting.
0 Replies

lennieblue

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:38 am
self portrait of woman search
Hi Green Witch:

The woman is wearing a white gown (almost like a slip or nightgown.) I believe sleeveless. I don't remember a window nearby however, in the distance is what looks like an open area and you can see people far off. It seemed sunny. She is in a darker area near the front but you can see her just fine. I believe it was realism style. Why do I believe it was 1800's or 1900's? I watched a documentary about 10 years ago and was surprised to see that painting. (I believe they gave the year and i was surprised it was as modern as it was so might have been 1920's or 1930's) They even gave the name of painter and that it was a self portrait. I wrote it down but I lost it! Crying or Very sad The woman is seated sideways but facing the viewer and I think is either writing or painting?

Sorry to take so long to respond. I thought this would alert my email when a response came thru. I'll check back sooner this time. Thanks! And I'll look for that book. Oh, I could be off my rocker but the name Marie as last name or first seems familiar but I could be totally wrong too. I've checked online and library books and no luck.
0 Replies

lennieblue

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:43 am
Painting posted
Fresco:

My lady had blond loose hair and a different expression. Less clothes on. As a child I was afraid of the print. Her eyes seemed to glow or something.
Nice painting here tho. thanks!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
I assume this is not it, but it's the closest I come up with:

http://cda.morris.umn.edu/~dabbsj/women_files/image001.jpg

Her name is Marie-Denise Villers.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:21 pm
Well researched Green Witch !
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:17 pm
Thanks fresco, for some reason I can't remember the multiplication table, but I can probably recall every painting or art photo I've ever seen. Go figure.
0 Replies

lennieblue

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:05 am
blond lady in painting
Hi Green Witch:

I was unable to open the picture, however, I think I know which one you are referring to. I realized that I have confused the very similiar painting with one I am looking for. The one by Marie-Denise Villers (Young Woman Drawing from 1801) is extremely similiar. Could almost be the same artist. But in mine she is loose haired and in a more shadowy area and the expression is more... slightly pleasantly surprised I think.

Sorry, very good work tho. At first I thought it was the one but alas, it's close but not. Well, it gives an example of something close and the style. I may be wrong on the artist's name and if it is even a self-portrait. The background people look more modern than 1801.

Good work, Green Witch. I'll keep searching on...

Thank you!
0 Replies