help!! im doing a research paper

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:28 pm
hi,
my name is michelle and i am an aspiring actress. im doing a research paper for my college english 1 class and i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. i need to know if it would be better to get a degree in theatre and then try my hand at broadway, or if i should just go to NYC without college.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,155 • Replies: 14
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:31 pm
go to nyc, enroll in school and try out for theatre shows in between classes. If you get a great role in a great show (it can happen!) then go for it! School will always be there.

But if you're really mundane, forget about it. Smile
0 Replies

mundane chelle

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:40 pm
eoe wrote:
lol im not really mundane. but it is nice to try to act normal Smile

but really, i live in texas and im not sure i can afford school in NYC. though that was my original plan. i was wondering though, do you think a degree in theatre will help my chances at getting a role in a play on broadway?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:05 pm
Well, a degree will look good on your resume, that's for sure and school could offer you many contacts with people who may be able to help while you're in attendance and once you graduate as well but, isn't there regional theatre there, someplace to cut your teeth and develop your chops? You don't necessarily have to move to NYC to work.
0 Replies

mundane chelle

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:08 pm
yeah, im just worried about whats going to happen when i finally get there. i guess i havent fully learned who to wait yet.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:10 pm
Well, you'd better learn, kiddo. Patience is the backbone of acting, don't you know?
0 Replies

mundane chelle

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 05:11 pm
this is true.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:46 am
Professional Theater is just that--professional. There are thousands of aspiring actors in NYC and the ones who are most likely to succeed have college diplomas, acting training, experience academic and community theatre and a willingness to work very hard.

Your question is sincere. Your presentation of the question indicates that you're not willing to put a lot of work into presenting yourself as a competent and glamorous woman.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:46 am
You do both.

You audition for and gain entrance to The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

AADA

You work very hard[/i] for two years to learn the craft of acting and, at the same time, work towards your BA program (finishing at Hunter or elsewhere.)

You meet and develop relationships with people who can get you acting work.

You thank all of us at A2K in your Academy Awards acceptance speech for "believing in me for all these years."

Joe(get going. Now)Nation
0 Replies

mundane chelle

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:45 am
thank you all for your advice. it is really appreciated.
the only thing is i might have jumped the gun on this one. i don't think i made it clear that i'm still in high school and i wanted opinions on which would help me more... going straight to work trying to get a part or going to college first. though i did get answers that helped a lot i wasnt sure if you guys understood my situation. thank you very much for helping me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:44 am
Mundane chelle--

Break a leg.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 02:33 pm
Re: help!! im doing a research paper
mundane chelle wrote:
... if i should just go to NYC without college.

If you do go to NYCity, without a college degree, how do you plan on paying your rent and buying food?
0 Replies

mundane chelle

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 04:06 pm
true. you basically need a college degree to be a cashier in a souvenir shop now.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:10 pm
I have thought about this too. The thing is...if you are good, you won't need college. Acting is about experiencing. School can only teach you so much. What you really learn from is getting the roles and being that character. Thats what makes you grow. All school is going to teach you how to go about the "method" of acting and teach you about works that are out there. But if you are coming out of high school and have very little knowledge of acting, I suggest you go to some form of college or take acting classes. They will teach you how to go about getting inside the head of the character. Also, there are many books out there that can do the same thing. One benifit of going to college and joining up with the theatre department is the family that you become part of with all the kids trying to figure out what they want to be. If you have a real passion for acting, go to where the acting is. College will be there when you get back if you feel you need more training.
0 Replies

qgishere

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:07 am
kitkat_bar wrote:
I have thought about this too. The thing is...if you are good, you won't need college. Acting is about experiencing. School can only teach you so much. What you really learn from is getting the roles and being that character.

True kitkat, but on the otherhand, very few actors are simply "discovered".

If you are lucky, you will get bit parts, for a while, or maybe longer,,, in the meantime, you need to be able to live, and you have to have something to fall back on. A tertiary qualification will help you do that. A tertiary qualification will help you find another life, if you need to.

Remember, even a "Jodie Foster" felt the need to get herself an education, because she knew it would serve her well in her life's journey. If it is good enough for her, then I guess it might be worth you considering Mundane :-)
0 Replies