Beauty of life vs. difficult questions?

cavfancier

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 09:31 pm
eoe, in my profession, I find myself just "pulling it off", even in the face of problems. No need to measure time, it's almost an instinct, which I think is also relevant to the question. Any experiences where one is so "in the groove" that time no longer matters, please share. Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 11:19 pm
there seems 2b a lot of discussion of counting time here;
which is at best a tedious and boring job.
perhaps the best approach is 2 put u're foot down, & reverse the rolls;

make 'time' count!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 08:31 am
Time doesn't matter when you're in the groove of knocking serious boots. That came to mind right away haha.
In my work, I can get lost and look up to see that hours have gone by. I've always been grateful for that. The day would just whisk by, a flurry of productivity and like you cav, putting out fires and saving peoples' professional asses. But I ain't bitter!! Smile
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 08:12 pm
living

counting or not

whatever the moment has brought, needs, or you have the responisibility to do

While all the time hoping that you dont get hit by a truck, or fall off the bar stool and crack your skull but, if you do...you did it all well.

So...I guess Im on the beam.
Balance and all.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 09:55 pm
<in best Barry White tribute voice> eoe...when we're knockin' boots....time...it don't matter...<sings> Oooh, baby baby baby, time it don't matter, when there's loovvve...puttin' out fires, satisfying desires....<speaking low> It's all love, love.....Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:22 pm
Cav; watch it (with that dagger alway near to hand!) Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:40 am
cavfancier wrote:
Counting time to me has a double meaning, both marking time with dire expectations, and also literally measuring time, but I hope to not complicate things here.

I suppose we could focus on the question of: we all have to count time, in order to get through our day, show up "on time", etc., but how is it that we prefer to live? That, and how does one integrate 'keeping time' or 'measuring time' with 'living in the moment'?

One Saturday morning when I was nine, I was sitting in my room with nothing much to do, and noticed the shadow of the sun on the wall opposite a window. The corner of the window made a clear, sharp angle of light on the wall. So I marked the spot with an 'X' with a pencil, and went on playing with my toys.

About half an hour later the patch of light had moved, so I marked the new spot with another 'X' and kept playing. Half hour later, guess what? The sun had moved yet again! So I marked the new spot with another 'X', and continued to do this all day long. Some kids have lots of time.

At the end of the day, the shadow of the window had traced a long U-shaped arc across two big walls and a door, with a whole series of X's, so I drew a line to connect them all. Never told anyone about it, and never really thought about why.

A month later, on another Saturday morning I was playing in my room when I noticed the shadow of the sun on the wall. The corner of the window made a clear, sharp angle, but it *wasn't* on the line that I had previously marked! So I marked it with an 'X', wrote 10am next to it, and kept playing. An hour or so later, sure enough it was another foot over, so I marked it again and wrote the time next to it. At the end of the day I connected all these X's and formed another U-shaped line across two walls, but it was higher than the one before it.

The sun was lower. Winter was coming.

I wrote the dates next to each line, and every month or two I kept doing this for over a year. I started to notice that the U-shaped line was highest in December and lowest in June. But also -- I looked at all the X's that indicated 11am, month after month (not counting daylight savings time). They formed a figure-eight on the wall five feet high!

As the seasons change, the noon-time sun makes a large figure-eight in the sky, until a year later it's back where it was again. I thought that was odd.

But from then on, if I ever wanted to know what time it was, I just had to look at the shadow on the wall. If I knew the date I could tell the time of day to within 5 minutes (by looking along the U-shaped line fifteen feet across). Or if I knew the exact time of day I could tell the day of the year to within three days (by looking along a figure-eight for that time of day). I was interpolating between the data points.

I don't know why. Would a nine-year-old marking X's on the wall qualify as marking time? It was just something I did spontaneously, in the moment, just being there, until I could get a drivers license and a job and move away.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:58 am
That's fascinating, CodeBorg and yeah, I'd say that you were literally "marking" time with your x's on the wall. What did your mom have to say about you writing on walls? Or was she the type to set you free in the confines of your own room?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:10 am
Aww Bo, Barry White was da man :cool: Code, that is a really neat story, you must have been a very smart kid, intuitive and quite the observer.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 08:57 am
aw, code; if i'd known you then i would have bought you a watch for your birthday!Rolling Eyes

(how's that for a typical, societal response! Laughing ) Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:06 am
Now who is holding the dagger? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:23 am
thinking further on codeborg's 'sun trajectory' story, it points out one of the most important aspects of true knowledge on this planet; that being, looking at phenomina from the right viewpoint.
throughout human history, knowledge has made a new leap only when someone finally looks at an old question from a new point of view, and realizes a new truth. The solar centric system, the globe of earth, milkyway galaxy, the relationship of mass to energy, the double helix of DNA, the list is huge, and, hopefully will extend to infinity.
we must impress on our children that many things are not as they seem, and many more things of which we appear certain, may also require a new 'look'.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 05:00 am
I concur entirely, BoGoWo. Happily, children have a wonderful capacity to learn that way. Sadly, it is a difficult task to re-educate adults once they have bought into a dogma. I have been grumpy about my slow flow of work these days, having chosen the insecurity of private catering (and a type of catering a lot of people don't really 'get', niche market) over the more 'adult' (some would say) choice of a hotel or restaurant career, but I followed my heart, and a vision of how catering could be 'different'. Despite the ups and downs, I really do not think I could be happy going back to the 'norm'. :wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 07:01 am
i agree; beside 'norm' is mike's dog (from Canmore; airFarce);
he is "PRETTY BORING"!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 10:03 am
Heh heh...Mike from Canmore...
0 Replies