TV channels - a la cart ?

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:53 am
I hear a lot of people, including myself, who express that they would like to just subscribe to the specific TV channels they want, and not have to get the package deals with all the channels. I personally would probably want about 6 channels, and nothing else. I don't have "cable" at all because I don't want to pay out the nose just to get the few channels I want. Of course, not all the channels I want are available in the cheapest package deal, I'd have to get the most expensive deal just to get all 6.

I heard that the TV companies like comcast and dishnetwork, etc, were considering this option - to give people the option of only getting a few channels. I don't know if this is true or not. I'm hoping to find out here if there are many other people who would want this.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,462 • Replies: 11
No top replies

mismi

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:57 am
I would love it if they would. All we watch is children's programming, sports and news....so all the other stuff is just excess. It would be nice. I will be surprised if most cable companies do it...Wouldn't it mean less money for the cable companies?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:26 am
I think we can safely assume that if it's something that we want, they won't do it. :wink:
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:16 am
mismi40 wrote:
I would love it if they would. All we watch is children's programming, sports and news....so all the other stuff is just excess. It would be nice. I will be surprised if most cable companies do it...Wouldn't it mean less money for the cable companies?

Well, use me for an example. I'm not a customer, but I would become one if I could just get the few channels I want. So imagine all the people in my situation that would suddenly become customers.

They could have a minimum cost, like the first channel being $15, and each other one would be a few bucks on top of that. Or the first 2 channels are $15, and each additional would be $5, or something. There are lots of ways to do it. If one company does it, others will follow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
That's how most of the satellite services I'm familiar with work.

You pick the channels, or groups of channels, you want. There is a basic tier that starts the service, then the rest is up to you. I quite like that approach.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 03:24 am
Honestly, I miss the channels I like. I'd like to watch TV again, but I won't until they offer something like this.
0 Replies

Oleander

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 01:22 am
Poll :: How would you choose to get the TV channels you want
I subscribe to as much as my budget allows. Can another choice be added for that?
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:38 am
Re: Poll :: How would you choose to get the TV channels you
Oleander wrote:
I subscribe to as much as my budget allows. Can another choice be added for that?

The second choice would fit that, I think.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:45 am
I get the basic cable, standard channels, plus the digital and HD stations. Years ago, we paid extra for HBO, but there was so much junk on that channel that we dropped it. I never watch sports, and Mr. P. watches it rarely, so the sports channels are not even a consideration.

I subscribe to Blockbuster Online, so I can get a movie that I want to see when I want it, and see it when I want.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:54 pm
I want maximum number of Hi Definition TV channels.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:28 am
I would prefer NOT to have to get an entire basic package, plus additional tiers that include a whole 'nother group.

I'd like the option to pick channel by channel.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:53 am
The FCC recently decided not to uphold a 1984 decision to regulate cable companies once they reached a 70% subscriber base. If that were to have gone into effect than cable companies would have had to offer channels a la carte.

The FCC decided to let them off the hook because they figure competition from phone companies converting their infrastructure to offer TV service...and satellite TV will bring prices inline.
0 Replies