kev

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 07:08 am
I got this recipe from a californian who apparently won some chili cook off competition with it.

I haven't tried it yet because I cant find anyone that sells "masa cornflour" perhaps cavfancier could give it the onceover and give us the benefit of his expertise.

3 lbs. chuck steak, cut into 1 inch squares. WARNING: DO NOT USE PREMIUM CUTS OF BEEF SUCH AS SIRLOIN! Use only fatty, cheap cuts. If you don't, the meat will become dried out and tough.

1/3 cup good chili powder. In the USA, Schilling, McCormack, Mrs. Renfro's, Spice Hunter or Spice Islands are good brands.

Masa (Mexican corn flour)

1 Bunch fresh Cilantro

3, med. White onlions, chopped coarse.

3 tbs. fresh garlic, chopped fine.

3 large fresh limes

cooking oil (olive, corn, whatever)

1-8 oz. can of tomato sauce, not spiced tomato sauce, not tomato sauce with Porcini mushrooms, not tomato sauce made in a small monastery in the Alps of Italy, just plain old tomato sauce.

Ground Cayenne Pepper

Salt

Into a large, cast iron skillet, pour enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat until almost smoking.

Add beef to oil and brown. Remove the beef and set aside. In the same pot with the oil and beef juices, sautee onion until clear. Add garlic and the browned beef and the juice of the limes. Add the can of tomato sauce and two cans of tap water. Stir in the chili powder and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes. Check it and stir every once in a while to make sure it's not sticking to the bottom of the pan. If it is, add a tbs. or two of water.

Make a thin paste of the Masa and slowly stir into the chili.

Add salt and Cayenne TO YOUR OWN TASTE!

Let cool and when cool enough, put it in the fridge until the next day.

(DAY TWO)

Heat it up until it bubbles. DO NOT TAKE THE FAT OFF THE TOP! STIR IT RIGHT BACK INTO THE CHILI!

Chop Cilantro, coarse.

Serve in bowls or over rice and/or with hot Pinto or Kidney beans.

For an added kick, garnish with slices of Jalapeno peppers.

Sprinkle chopped Cilantro over individual servings.

The real secret to this chili is in using cheap cuts of meat and in the addition of the Masa, which imparts a real, Mexican flavor.
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,216 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 08:23 am
What you should look for is 'Masa Harina', a special cornmeal used frequently in Mexican recipes.

If you can't find it locally, you can order it from Quaker online:

http://www.asiamex.com/tayabas/quakmashar44.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 08:23 am
Oh, and 'ditto' on the beef advice. Wink
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 12:37 pm
Hi cav,

unless chuck steak is different at your side of the pond, how does it get tender in only 45 minutes of cooking???

Also, from your professional point of view does this recipe look like a winner??
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 12:51 pm
I would lean towards the 1 1/2 hour mark for cooking time....it's not bad, but in my opinion, not a winner, although at least it is a true 'Texas Red'...no beans. I'll post one I like quite a bit later.
0 Replies