The Age of Rembrandt: Dutch Painting at the Met

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:47 am
Mame, I think our reactions to art are too personal to be categorized. You don't like sculpture, then, hell, you don't like it.

There are two great Vermeers at one of my favorite New York Places--the Frick. It also contains my absolutely favorite Rembrandt self-portrait.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:58 am
You're so lucky ... here in Vancouver we get Emily Carr, Emily Carr, and more Emily Carr.

Seriously, though... never the Greats. We've had and currently have a Georgia O'Keefe exhibition (I think the last was an installation), and we've had a few Impressionist and Group of Seven shows, but really, nothing else awe-inspiring (to me, of course).

I went to the MOMA in San Fran because I heard there were two Modigliani's but sadly they were not up! Waah.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:03 am
Yup, if you like art, then da Big Apple is a good place to be. I used to spend long college lunch hours at the Frick. I had college art history assignments--go see these three paintings at the Metropolitan. Then report on ...

Tres lucky to be here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:17 am
The David is in the galleria dell'Accademia; was originally in the piazza della Signoria...

I haven't seen it. Bad girl. I like some sculpture, don't like some sculpture.
Here's one I like - Cellini's Perseus and Medusa (http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/lanzi/lanzi.html)

Also loved the Frick, the one time I got to see it.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:44 am
Mame wrote:

I don't think much of the Mona Lisa, myself.

Me neither.

The first time I went to Paris, I got lost in the Louvre looking for the bathroom. I found Mona instead, and thought: is that it?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:52 pm
Mame, did'ja see the Rodin sculptures in the Vancouver Art Gallery in
the summer of 2005.....I lingered so long I got a huge parking fine......grrrrrrrrr!!!!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:58 pm
No, shepaints - I don't think I was here for that. My sister is the Rodin lover, anyway.

Where did you park, you poor thing? I hope you didn't pay it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:13 pm
Cellini's Perseus..

I also like whatsisname..
Donatello's David. That one I did see, in the Bargello.

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earlyrenaissance/donatello-david/donatello-david-a.jpg

I've liked some sculpture at the museum this thread is supposed to be about (who cares, I like just talking). Back with links.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 06:25 pm
It was one of those covered indoor city parking lots, Mame, quite near the
gallery. I had a rental car, and my permit had expired...I later paid the
fine.

As I recall, there was also some very interesting contemporary art work on view.....trying to remember names.
0 Replies