Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 05:49 pm
Was out replanting and rearranging planters on my balcony yesterday and discovered some of my planters are infested with dozens of baby slugs!

I'm on the second floor for heavens sake! Where are they coming from? It isn't the soil, it is sterile houseplant soil and none of my houseplants are infested.

Is it possible that the bird droppings from the birdies feeding at my bird feeders are full of little sluggetts?

I'm off to go buy some slug and snail bait. Geez, those things have got to be some of the ugliest creatures on earth!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,857 • Replies: 14
No top replies

LibertyD

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
I have a problem with the little buggers eating my hostas. I haven't tried the bait yet, you'll have to let us know if it works. I've been spraying my hostas with soapy water, which works but has to be done after rain or after watering them, if you soak the leaves.

Good luck! and thanks for posting the lovely photo -- it's always good to be reminded how nasty they are... Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 05:34 am
Yep, it's prolly bird droppings that are the source of the - ugh - infestation.

Snail bait? Isn't the method of choice beer and/or salt?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 05:49 am
please don't use slug pellets as they poison the birds.

slugs love beer - if you sink a little container of beer so the top is level with the soil surface they will drink, fall in intoxicated and drown - seriously! Very Happy
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 06:28 am
The slugs probably fell out of a bird's beak, or there were eggs in the compost when you bought it. Yuck, they are horrible. Reminds me of a holiday home I once stayed in where, every night, slugs crawled under the back door into the kitchen Shocked We had to put a thick line of salt along the back door, that dealt with them Smile
They definitely thrive in the rain. This year I tried a new method of controlling them in the garden. Apparently they hate the taste of copper, so I put copper tape around the vegetable patch. Not a single lettuce ravaged by slugs!! Which was funny, because the lettuces were also part of my slug control plan. I read that if you dot your vegetable patch with little gem lettuces, they slugs will eat those, and leave your precious crops alone! Too bad I don't like Little Gems (this crop is way too bitter)!
Sprinkle salt on the slugs on your balcony!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 08:20 am
beer
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 10:13 pm
Ammonia works on snails, drop, drop, but I don't know about slugs.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 10:20 pm
I got the buggers with salt. Went out and drenched the planter with water so they'd all run (slither) for the hills and then dashed em with a salty shower.

Afterwards, I went inside and vomited... Gah! That was disgusting!
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:09 am
i remember when i was young, me and my frind used to collect snails and paint their shells and everything...

we used to have contests on how meny we could attatch to out faces..

it makes me ill now that i remember...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:17 am
tekana wrote:
i remember when i was young, me and my frind used to collect snails and paint their shells and everything...

we used to have contests on how meny we could attatch to out faces..

it makes me ill now that i remember...
Shocked
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:29 am
i grew up in germany...

we all have sick minds over there Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:03 pm
Snails were my buddies and secret weapon against my younger brother when he got big enough to win our fights more often then I cared to let him. He'd be beating the stuffing out of me and all I'd have to do is walk out into the garden, pick up a snail, peel off the shell and show it to my brother. It worked better then a restraining order! Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:32 pm
I use salt and pellets.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:35 pm
Butrflynet -- great weapon! I wonder if that would work against hubby when he pisses me off???

c.i. -- man, dousing them with salt is even more gross than looking at them in their healthy state! But, it does work <Liberty feeling nauseus>.
0 Replies

helen 123

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 02:14 am
they are appearing on my balcony. I got rid of the potted soil and threw the planters out but about once a week I see one on the balcony of our second floor apartment....Can they live under a bbq that has not been used for a yeat?? Where are they coming from?
0 Replies