is god perfect?

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:30 am
Are there any "flaws" in the universe that can be explained only if it was created?

i think if god wanted to prove to us he was the creator he "could" create intentional flaws for us to find right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,054 • Replies: 70
No top replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:30 am
the facts: Wink

potentially: potentially yes, *if* it/s/he exists. not necessarily.
actually: unknown/unknowable.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
He has been sued in court Laughing
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jqCsP7OChy5Q8AFcTeiB58cfy6Uw
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:40 am
i'm not sure there are any flaws (or features) you could find in the universe that need a god to explain them.

some metaphysical things might be explained better if there's a force or forces that act in a way some might call godlike, but i'm not insisting that it's required, or always helpful.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 12:38 pm
I can't imagine an objective definition of "perfection." It can only be approached with reference to some ideal state of things (or some thing). What can ideal mean if not a subjective preference held by the definer?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:53 pm
I would say god is perfect. Whatever god does seems to define perfection.

If you believe in the god of the bible, I think you have to accept this reasoning.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:04 pm
To say that God is perfect BY DEFINITION is to say something not about a god but about its definer.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 01:57 am
could god , for example, shed his perfection, to show us that he is there?

to me evil is proof of this. why would a perfect being create a place that isnt perfect? why would he make life so tough? why would pain exist at all?

Because if you live your life aware of nothing but light from the moment you gain conciousness, how would you know?

you would need a shadow.

but this is mere metaphorical talk.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:23 pm
There are some who think that George Bush is perfect. Man's perception is of no consequence. What is perfect to man may be something entirely different to God.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:09 pm
Yes, god is, by definition, perfect. Now try to imagine a thing that could fit such a description, and you will have a good idea of what god is. I have a pretty good idea myself, but it is only meaningful to me.

Oh, and also, this post should be viewed in light of JLNobody's last post.

(Hi JL. It's been a long time. Nice to see you're still active. I have taken an involuntary break from expressing myself. Personal growth is no picnic.. Smile )
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:16 pm
The only perfect thing I can fathom in this universe is the art & beauty of my back workouts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:23 am
Slappy

Watch out for Burt Bacharach's back attack Smile

But on the topic:
I have recently bought a translation of the original text of the Bhagavadgita, also known as "the song of the celestial one". I would encourage everyone who wishes to understand what it means that god is perfect to read the Gita.

In it the supreme god is referred to as Krishna, and the text itself is a dialogue between Krishna and the human prince Arjuna. It takes place on a large battlefield, right before the battle is about to begin. Arjuna is gripped by reluctance to fight since he knows that to win the battle he will have to kill his kin. Krishna tells him to pick up the bow and arrows he has thrown to the ground, and to not be afraid of what he has to do. And from there it gets really interesting.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:00 pm
JLNobody wrote:
To say that God is perfect BY DEFINITION is to say something not about a god but about its definer.

Yes. What is perfection? Try to remember a moment in your life when you felt really happy -- maybe you were in love, something really good happened to you, you were high, having sex, whatever. At that moment, how did the world seem to you? It probably seemed like a pretty good place at that moment. If you felt completely happy and at peace, the world would seem perfect just as it is. Perfection is a state of mind.
0 Replies

IFeelFree

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:01 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I have recently bought a translation of the original text of the Bhagavadgita, also known as "the song of the celestial one". I would encourage everyone who wishes to understand what it means that god is perfect to read the Gita.

In it the supreme god is referred to as Krishna, and the text itself is a dialogue between Krishna and the human prince Arjuna. It takes place on a large battlefield, right before the battle is about to begin. Arjuna is gripped by reluctance to fight since he knows that to win the battle he will have to kill his kin. Krishna tells him to pick up the bow and arrows he has thrown to the ground, and to not be afraid of what he has to do. And from there it gets really interesting.

Interesting that God is not a pacifist.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:25 pm
Interesting that you would expect it to be..
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
the only time i am truly happy is when my mind is completely free, when i am lucid dreaming which i have lost much of my ability to do ever since i began working graveyard.

which oddly coincides with a small bout of depression and almost a complete lack of dreams altogether. :/
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 02:38 am
It might help to see the sun rise before you go to sleep in the morning.

Then again, it might not.

Anyway, I hope you will be able to reclaim your dreaming heart.. Smile
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 03:06 am
God created mosquitoes.

Therefore god is not perfect. Not even close.

Q.E.D.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:03 am
I believe God is perfect.
Religion doesn't though.
They think He's the devil.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:35 am
Reflect upon the superlative avatar.
0 Replies