Cub Scouts and religion

fishin

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 06:50 am
rosborne979 wrote:
It's all kind of a matter of degree. If the Scout troop they were in was a bizarre militant fundamentalist cult, then I would say "get them out of there". But if it's just an average Scout troop, then just give them a dose of balance at home and they will probably be fine.

I'm going to tag on to this comment just for others that might come along and read this thread in the future because it raises a VERY good point.

Every scout troop out there has it's own "flavor". It's influenced by the troop leaders and the community they are operating in and they vary widely even with one town or city and this applies to even more than just any religious aspect.

Some troops are merit badge factories - that's all they focus on. Others are "fun" troops that only care about going camping. Some push more towards hiking than camping, others tend to be mini vocational schools. I know that when I had my own troop our big focus was on campfire cooking. Yeah, my kids occassionaly got lost on hikes but they could cook a 7 course meal in dutch ovens over an open flame and they ate like kings when we went camping. (We used to make donuts, french toast, waffles and pancakes every morning and sell them to other troops at camp-outs. Razz )

If you don't like the focus of your local troop then check out the neighboring troops.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
dadpad wrote:
As a soldier, BP rose to public prominence during the war against the Boers in Africa at the end of the 1800's. Most noteworthy was BP's leadership of the defending force in the seige of the South African town of Mafeking. Baden-Powell returned to England as a national hero in 1899 having successfully defended the town against the Boers.

so the oaths might just be a flowery version of that good old british "god and country" theme, rather than intended as a haven for religious nuts.
0 Replies