Help with German-English translation: Music text

Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Here's another one:

"Uh a lay lay" ist ein scherzender Ruf mit freien lautmalerischen Singsilben.

Sorry, that's the entire context.

"Uh a lay lay" is a joking call with free, (or "freely" without the comma) onomatopoetic, sung syllables.

Ah! "Onomatopeia" clearly is not common enough to be included in my German-English dictionary. Thanks much!

Oh, the word has nothing to do with poetry? I put the "t" in there because I considered the lack of it a typo.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:05 am
As for the dictionary, I use http://dict.leo.org for translations between English and German. It's free, very extensive, and accessible from any internet computer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:09 am
If 'leo' doesn't work - wikipedia is great, too: write the word you look into the German resp. English edition .... and hope that there's a link to the other language.

And re 'leo': a lot is to be found on the discussion boards as well: the linnk is always at the bottom of the translations.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:09 am
My favorite Wortbuch and one of my first links...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:12 am
Well, otherwise I would be lost in France ... ehem... French as well. Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:18 am
Very handy indeed, Walter!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:19 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
If 'leo' doesn't work - wikipedia is great, too: write the word you look into the German resp. English edition .... and hope that there's a link to the other language.

And re 'leo': a lot is to be found on the discussion boards as well: the linnk is always at the bottom of the translations.

Leo looks good (thanks, Thomas). I got some help from the German Wikipedia on "Gestaltung," which this text uses a lot and which really appears to be just educational jargon. The Wiki entry did a nice job of explaining its meaning, including this helpful hint:
Quote:
Im Deutschen wird der Begriff Gestaltung zunehmend vom englischen Wort Design verdrängt.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:23 pm
This may be more of a music question than a translation question:

Durch eine Begleitung mit Stabspielen (siehe Begleit-Pattern für Stabspiele) und Rhythmusinstrumenten sowie eine kreative Bewegungsgestaltung kann ein ausdrucksvolles Improvisationsstück entstehen.

I know "Stab" is German for a musical "staff," but I have no idea what a "Stabspiel" might be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
"Stabspieke" are wooden instruments like marimba, xylophone ... or metall like lyra, vibraphone, or .... empty bottles, when used as instrument.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm
Oh, like melodic percussion instruments? That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Walter!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 01:09 pm
Yeap, that's it: percussion instruments which can play melodies and harmonies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 03:03 pm
And this http://www.dict.cc/?s= is even better than LEO.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:08 am
CalamityJane wrote:
And this http://www.dict.cc/?s= is even better than LEO.

Thanks, CJ.
0 Replies