Don't tell me there's any proof for creationism.

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:42 am
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
Quote:
Using a different calculation
...that I can't get any SANE ASTRONOMER to agree with Laughing

Feel free to provide your own, TCR. I'd be very interested to hear what you think.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:47 am
I think that I figured out how all those iron meteorites were found without impact craters. They fell 3,000 years ago and hit poor unsuspecting dinosaurs which broke their fall, but did the dinos no good at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:55 pm
real life wrote:
parados,

I've said that I don't know how old the earth is. I think the jury's still out on that.

I tend to favor thousands rather than billions of years because the dating schemes used to come up with billions of years are notoriously contradictory and based on unproven and usually unprovable assumptions. Wonder why I'm skeptical?

So you ONLY want to talk about how old the earth is, eh? (Can't blame you, based on your poor performance talking about the origin of life.)

from the link I posted:

Quote:

So , we'll take this one step at a time for you.

Do you agree that the rotation of the earth is slowing down?

Oh boy, this should be fun. Wake me up when Lord Kelvin's calculations take into account the formation of the moon, a myriad of other impacts, General Relativity instead of Newtonian mechanics and plate tectonics.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:15 pm
This is the part that really cracks me up:

Quote:
I tend to favor thousands rather than billions of years because the dating schemes used to come up with billions of years are notoriously contradictory and based on unproven and usually unprovable assumptions. Wonder why I'm skeptical?

Of course, a young earth creationist point of view is based upon the unassailable "evidence" of the Bobble.

Does any one wonder why i'm skeptical?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:20 pm
By the way, William Thomson, aka "Lord Kelvin," took Thomas Edison's line, and condemned alternating current and Tesla's bi-phase, asynchronous generator, which Tesla and Westinghouse were to build at Niagara Falls.

Yeah . . . there's a reliable source.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:22 pm
real life wrote:
I tend to favor thousands rather than billions of years because the dating schemes used to come up with billions of years are notoriously contradictory and based on unproven and usually unprovable assumptions.

Actually they are not contradictory not unproven and not unprovable. You just enjoy saying that.

(also your definition of 'proof' is not the scientific definition of proof)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, William Thomson, aka "Lord Kelvin," took Thomas Edison's line, and condemned alternating current and Tesla's bi-phase, asynchronous generator, which Tesla and Westinghouse were to build at Niagara Falls.

Yeah . . . there's a reliable source.

But of course Kelvin was a great proponent of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and his calculations INCLUDED the energy transfer from the sun. Umm.. real life? Doesn't that mean that Kelvin applied the 2nd law of thermodynamics incorrectly?

Kelvin's calculations of the age of the earth were based on a steadily cooling earth. They had nothing to do with rotational slowing.

I can find absolutely nothing about Kelvin ever figuring the age based on the rotation of the earth. He calculated that the earth started as molten rock and gradually cooled. He was not aware of radioactivity causing heat. His calculations were made without information and even at that rate he calculated a 400 million year old earth.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:05 pm
The best part I have seen about Kelvin's calculations is he figured the heat of the sun was caused by meteors hitting it.

Hey real life.. if the temperature of the sun is caused by meteors hitting it how do you get objects hitting the earth being several miles high? We all know the temperature on the sun melts meteors.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:19 pm
parados wrote:
The best part I have seen about Kelvin's calculations is he figured the heat of the sun was caused by meteors hitting it.

Hey real life.. if the temperature of the sun is caused by meteors hitting it how do you get objects hitting the earth being several miles high? We all know the temperature on the sun melts meteors.

Anything is possible in Wonderland.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:00 am
parados wrote:

But of course Kelvin was a great proponent of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and his calculations INCLUDED the energy transfer from the sun. Umm.. real life? Doesn't that mean that Kelvin applied the 2nd law of thermodynamics incorrectly?

More distortions from you, eh parados?

If he applied the 2nd Law to the 'open system' of the Earth, he was correct.

The position that I have consistently criticized is those who claim that the 2nd Law ONLY applies to 'closed systems', and then cannot name even ONE naturally occurring 'closed system'.

Do you misquote me on purpose, or do you just have difficulty remembering what I said?

Try using the 'Search' function if you unsure.

Better yet, just use the 'Search' function always. History shows you are usually incorrect quoting me.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:13 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:

The position that I have consistently criticized is those who claim that the 2nd Law ONLY applies to 'closed systems', and then cannot name even ONE naturally occurring 'closed system'.

Do you misquote me on purpose, or do you just have difficulty remembering what I said?
Can you show me where I quoted you in that statement? I don't see it anywhere. I asked you if that means Kelvin applied it incorrectly. Does it mean that or not?

Quote:

Better yet, just use the 'Search' function always. History shows you are usually incorrect quoting me.

Perhaps YOU should use the search function. You would find that math that proves evolution doesn't violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics. The same math you have not been able to dispute.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:21 am
Based on Kelvin's statements he would have applied it as the earth being a system getting energy from another system which would be the sun.

Is that a correct usage or not?

Quote:
No cyclic process is possible whose result is the flow of heat from a single heat reservoir and the performance of an equivalent amount of work on a work reservoir. Energy interchanges can take place in any direction between any pair of work reservoirs, but energy exchange between a work reservoir and a single heat reservoir, with no outstanding changes in other systems, can proceed in one direction only -- that in which the work reservoir does work and the heat reservoir absorbs heat.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Numbers are not like words.

Get enough of them lined up and you get a Law of Science.

Joe(unless you shut your eyes and hold your ears)Nation
0 Replies

real life

parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:

Can you show me where I quoted you in that statement? I don't see it anywhere. I asked you if that means Kelvin applied it incorrectly. Does it mean that or not?

Quote:

Perhaps YOU should use the search function. You would find that math that proves evolution doesn't violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics. The same math you have not been able to dispute.

I've never disputed the math.

I've objected to the way the law is selectively applied by many evolutionists.

More distortions from you.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
Mary had a little lamb; its fleece was white as snow.
But even it wasn't stupid enough to go where RL wanted to go.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:27 am
parados wrote:
Based on Kelvin's statements he would have applied it as the earth being a system getting energy from another system which would be the sun.

Go back and read what I wrote.

Do you understand what I wrote?

Why must I repeat it if you do?

Why should I repeat it if you don't?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:52 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:

I've never disputed the math.

I've objected to the way the law is selectively applied by many evolutionists.

More distortions from you.

So it is a distortion to state you have ever claimed that evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics? Anyone that does that would be misquoting you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:56 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:

Go back and read what I wrote.

Do you understand what I wrote?

Why must I repeat it if you do?

Why should I repeat it if you don't?

LOL.. oh. no you don't have to repeat it. You can attempt to obfuscate as usual..
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
I tend to favor thousands rather than billions of years because the dating schemes used to come up with billions of years are notoriously contradictory and based on unproven and usually unprovable assumptions.

Actually they are not contradictory not unproven and not unprovable. You just enjoy saying that.

(also your definition of 'proof' is not the scientific definition of proof)

When several dating schemes produce 'dates' that differ by tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of years, do you consider that accurate?

Or are you satisfied that the definition of 'within the limits of accuracy' is stretched to accomodate anything and everything that one desires to acommodate?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:40 am
real life wrote:
When several dating schemes produce 'dates' that differ by tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of years, do you consider that accurate?

I consider the convergence of data from appropriately applied tests to be valid evidence of age.

If you want to test the temperature of boiling water with a baby thermometer and it gives you an invalid measurement, then that's your problem for using a test which isn't designed for the conditions being tested.

real life wrote:
Or are you satisfied that the definition of 'within the limits of accuracy' is stretched to accomodate anything and everything that one desires to acommodate?

Limits are not stretched inappropriately if testing processes are used on the conditions for which their function was intended.

Tests on minerals don't directly return 'dates' or 'ages'. They typically return atomic ratios. Actual dates and ages are inferred by our understanding of what the ratios mean, and that understanding lies in several other areas of science.

Do you want to question our understaning of chemistry and particle physics now?
0 Replies