Don't tell me there's any proof for creationism.

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:20 am
Setanta wrote:
I see you are content to ignore the point that the author(s) of Genesis and the authors are later books are not one and the same.

Einstein . . .
Whoever wrote Genesis 1:26 also wrote Genesis 6:2.
Setanta wrote:
Oh yeah, that's right . . . you make some kind of idiotic claim that the bobble is a part of a divinely inspired, inerrant and coherent whole.
It either is or it isn't. The consequence either way is profound.
Setanta wrote:
Wanna buy a bridge?
Tell me about your bridge. . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:31 am
You cannot state with any certainty that the same author is responsible for the first chapter of Genesis and the sixth. Regardless, you've abandoned Job and Deuteronomy now for another chapter of Genesis, in a typical bible-thumper bait and switch game. The reference to sons of god and daughters of men has absolutely no relevance to a discussion of the meaning of "us" in the passage of Genesis which i originally quoted.

As for the profound implications you allege, i doubt it. The rantings of bible-thumpers are only profound to those who buy the whole dog and pony show.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:54 am
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Oh yeah, that's right . . . you make some kind of idiotic claim that the bobble is a part of a divinely inspired, inerrant and coherent whole.

That's funny, I don't see it as being profound either way. If it is divinely inspired and inerrant, then it paints an amazingly pathetic picture of God. And if it's just a collection of old stories retold and retranslated over generations then I am even more unimpressed.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:19 am
Setanta wrote:
You cannot state with any certainty that the same author is responsible for the first chapter of Genesis and the sixth. Regardless, you've abandoned Job and Deuteronomy now for another chapter of Genesis, in a typical bible-thumper bait and switch game. The reference to sons of god and daughters of men has absolutely no relevance to a discussion of the meaning of "us" in the passage of Genesis which i originally quoted.

As for the profound implications you allege, i doubt it. The rantings of bible-thumpers are only profound to those who buy the whole dog and pony show.
Sorry. I cited what I considered to be the most relevant of many passages. That trinitarians eagerly quote chapter 1 and forget the rest is not surprising. That you would cling to it makes me wonder. . .

You're just pulling my chain, right?

As far as the consequence of 2 Timothy 3:16:

If not true, the entire Christian religion is a sham.

If true, the world blender switch is set to puree, waiting for the 'on' command.

Both profound.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:23 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:

That's funny, I don't see it as being profound either way. If it is divinely inspired and inerrant, then it paints an amazingly pathetic picture of God. And if it's just a collection of old stories retold and retranslated over generations then I am even more unimpressed.
What I told Set.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:06 am
What rosborne said about being unimpressed. If god has performed all those miracles some two thousand years ago, he sure screwed up royally when he had man "transcribe" his word into what we see as the bible of today. Accepting both; that is the miracles and the contradictions, errors and omissions of the bible just doesn't compute. Christians often talk about the "loving god," but if you play close attention, it's more about revenge and rebuke. A world flood to kill all humanity except for Noah's family is a contradiction of who god is supposed to be.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:26 am
neologist wrote:

*IF* it's not true.... come on Neo. If you're smart enough to use a keyboard, then you're smart enough to figure this out. You just don't want to.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

*IF* it's not true.... come on Neo. If you're smart enough to use a keyboard, then you're smart enough to figure this out. You just don't want to.
Whatever one finds in the bible, let it not be to satisfy the desire for reward

or license.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What rosborne said about being unimpressed. If god has performed all those miracles some two thousand years ago, he sure screwed up royally when he had man "transcribe" his word into what we see as the bible of today. Accepting both; that is the miracles and the contradictions, errors and omissions of the bible just doesn't compute. Christians often talk about the "loving god," but if you play close attention, it's more about revenge and rebuke. A world flood to kill all humanity except for Noah's family is a contradiction of who god is supposed to be.
Even Noah and his family are now dead, right? In fact, most people who have ever lived are no more.

Does it make any difference how they died?

What if, by playing close attention, you were to find that all those who have died without knowing God could live again with the same promise once lost by Adam and Eve? Might that make it alright?

Well, play close attention.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 03:07 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I see you are content to ignore the point that the author(s) of Genesis and the authors are later books are not one and the same.

Einstein . . .
Whoever wrote Genesis 1:26 also wrote Genesis 6:2.

Not likely.

According to the Documentary Hypothesis even the book of Genesis was written by Multiple authors...

Genesis 1:26 is attributed to P: a writer who added material of major interest to the priesthood, while Genesis 6:2 was written by J: a writer who used Yahweh/Jehovah as the divine name. Click here to see the first ten chapters of Genesis color coded by author.

I am curious neo as to what you think Genesis 6:2 means.

1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Were these "sons of God" some pre-creation angel critters that were interbreeding or was the term just alluding male superiority where the males were "sons of God" and the females were "daughters of men"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 03:23 pm
mesquite wrote: Were these "sons of God" some pre-creation angel critters that were interbreeding or was the term just alluding male superiority where the males were "sons of God" and the females were "daughters of men"?

Just proves another point; that man's superiority was based on human bigotry towards women as was the common cultural belief system. The bible is full of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 05:57 am
neologist wrote:
Sorry. I cited what I considered to be the most relevant of many passages.

That, of course, ignores the issue of authorship. It also ignores the development of religion among the Jews. Initially, the Jews were very likely not majority Jawists, and it would have behooved anyone attempting to recruit among the majority Baal/Moloch worshipers to acknowledge more than one god. Quite apart from that, there is no reason to assume that the Jawist song and dance has gone unchanged from the beginning. It is seen in many middle eastern religions that the existence of other gods is initially recognized, then that the home-town god is alleged to the the superior god, then the only "true" god, and finally the only god. That exact sequence appears in the Zoroastrian religious development.

Quote:
That trinitarians eagerly quote chapter 1 and forget the rest is not surprising. That you would cling to it makes me wonder. . .

I'm not "clinging" to anything, and that was a snotty shot below the belt. I abandoned Catholicism at age 13, and had only myself then recently read the bobble straight through, twice. I came to the conclusion that Genesis One is about polytheism without reference to anyone's theological doctrines.

Quote:
You're just pulling my chain, right?

With regard to the very high probability that Jews were originally polytheistic, not at all.

Quote:
As far as the consequence of 2 Timothy 3:16:

I'll go a long with that.

Quote:
If true, the world blender switch is set to puree, waiting for the 'on' command.

Both profound.

Oh please, have you ever heard of a religious confession which did not assert that their scripture was divinely inspired? "Uhm . . . we know that our god is the one true god, but we ain't exactly sure about this book here . . . we're pretty sure it's all the straight skinny . . . but, Hey, don't quote us, 'K?"

The only thing i see which is profound is the stubbornness with which the religiously devout defend their beliefs, in the face of any criticism, evidence or scorn.

They then account that a virtue and pat themselves on the back.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
mesquite wrote:
1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Were these "sons of God" some pre-creation angel critters that were interbreeding or was the term just alluding male superiority where the males were "sons of God" and the females were "daughters of men"?
Short explanation:

They were angels, who chose to join Satan. They are referred to In Revelation 12: 7-10.

Of course, it is just another reference to the fact that there were creatures in the heavens at the time humans were created. Just don't tell Set. I wouldn't wish to set fire to his straw man.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 05:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
. . . I'm not "clinging" to anything, and that was a snotty shot below the belt. I abandoned Catholicism at age 13, and had only myself then recently read the bobble straight through, twice. I came to the conclusion that Genesis One is about polytheism without reference to anyone's theological doctrines.
. . .
Snicker.

You hate to lose your point.

Hang on

Hang on

We abandoned Catholicism at the same age, though. I'll give you that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:08 pm
What a creep you are. Keep your goofy religious delusions to yourself, Neo, i've gotten sick and tired or your idiot posts. Don't address me again on this, or any other subject.

Creep.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:13 pm
neologist wrote:
Short explanation:

They were angels, who chose to join Satan.

Did they have wings? With nice sparkly white feathers on them?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
What a creep you are. Keep your goofy religious delusions to yourself, Neo, i've gotten sick and tired or your idiot posts. Don't address me again on this, or any other subject.

Creep.
Sorry, Set.

It's been fun. I'll say that much

I hate to see you give up.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:54 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Short explanation:

They were angels, who chose to join Satan.

Did they have wings? With nice sparkly white feathers on them?
Have you seen any with wings or sparkly feathers?

Tell the truth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:17 pm
neo
Quote:

Yeah but Set took the obvious direction that is commensurate with an advanced education, You, became a Jehovas Witness. Thats almost unbelievable, you go from one dogma dreiven line of crap to another, even more deeply dogmatic and Fundamental.

Holy ****, Im speechless Shocked
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:51 am
farmerman wrote:
neo
Quote:

Yeah but Set took the obvious direction that is commensurate with an advanced education, You, became a Jehovas Witness. Thats almost unbelievable, you go from one dogma dreiven line of crap to another, even more deeply dogmatic and Fundamental.

Holy ****, Im speechless Shocked
Yeah. Go figure.

Must be some really good reason.
0 Replies