Plastic Walls for Future Homes? No, It Isn't Sci-Fi.

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 08:38 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/07/garden/07WRAP.html

Check it out! A couple of architects have come up with "SmartWrap" - a plastic material for outer walls of buildings.
Quote:
SmartWrap not only goes up quickly and is hundreds of times lighter than traditional brick and mortar, but it also has no seams that can leak. The skin incorporates ultrathin solar panels to collect energy and flat chemical batteries to store it. So-called phase change materials, already used in skiing socks and some forms of drywall, can help control temperature. Organic light-emitting diodes (O.L.E.D.'s) that illuminate and change color are part of the SmartWrap package, too.

Quote:
Adapting a building to its site will take on new meaning when its walls can turn orange to match fall foliage.

Quote:
Products like SmartWrap could be commercially available within five or 10 years, Ms. McQuaid believes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,787 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 09:43 pm
Cool!

(I keep reading this as "Hmm, how about plastic walls for future homes? Nah, that's not Sci-Fi enough..." Razz)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 09:44 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 09:53 pm
I'm getting ready to paint my house. What a pain. I've been putting it off for ages. This might be good for procrastinators like me! Just make a adjustment for color change!

I like the solar panel idea. I wonder if it will use recycled materials.

But really, plastic- I don't know. I think toxic fumes. And heebie jeebies. I like things au natural.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 09:56 pm
And how about walls melting in a hot summer.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 10:01 pm
The article says that it's the same kind of plastic that soda bottles are made of, so I guess it might be recycled materials, or partially recycled. I don't know about the melting point of that stuff...
0 Replies

Beelzel

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 11:13 am
There was an article, somewhere in a real estate publication... cannot find right now, that discussed in length the problems and legal ramifications of a "spray-on" stucco-like exterior coating used in the 70-80's. Seems that it sealed in too much moisture ... thus support wood rotted.

So, just wonder if this would be a problem with this "seam-less" plastic wall.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:29 pm
http://www.mb2010.com/SmartWrap/
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 01:33 pm
Quote:
This ensuing film has the capacity to change color and appearance, as well as to provide shelter, control interior climates, and offer light and electricity.

I've often thought shingles should be colored with a paint that changes colors with temp and sunshine. Like hotwheels cars used to be.
0 Replies