Musical Director...?

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:08 am
what training and qualifications are required to become a musical director?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:35 am
Tanyar--

Welcome to A2K?

What sort of Musical Director? Professional theatre? Educational theatre? Community theatre?
0 Replies

peterset

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:44 pm
some advice
Hey, you must like music very much, right? Me too, although it's one of my favorate hobbies, I am still not very good at it. I still can give you some advice. I think you should read some books about how to become a musical director if you want to. I usually read some music books in my spare time in case I want to do some big things on it. Recently I was reading a book "So, You're the New Musical Director". It is aimed at the person who has music training but little or no experience with musical theatre, the high school choral director with a degree in music education, or the actor participating in community theatre productions. It details the duties involved in directing a Broadway musical, including overseeing singer and orchestra rehearsals and conducting the musical itself. The chapters follow the actual progression of a musical from a discussion of the production team's responsibilities to the final bow. Filled with photos, illustrations, and examples, So, You're the New Musical Director! is a comprehensive guide that no one involved in musical theatre should be without. I bought it online for $32 instead of $50. It's very useful for me, and I am sure it will be suitable for you too. Maybe you want to look it up, click it to check
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=59761
Hope it helps
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:04 am
Hello tanyar,

I have a musical director friend, a general music graduate, whose "success" (e.g. working with Loyd Weber/teaching at the Royal College of Music) seems to be a function of 1. His musical versality playing several instruments 2. His ability to transpose keys instantly and 3. His part time school teaching experience which gave him authority in a group situation. (He can direct a group without looking at the keyboard he is playing).
0 Replies