student Jackson 5 suspended

dov1953

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
Shocked I don't know exactly where to put this question so I'll put it here. I don't feel it is best answered with debate. The Constitution clearly states that people have a near absolute right to freedom of speech. Now why is it that speech as defined by political correctness has had such success in thwarting that right as to alter it in fact to really say, as an amendment, that freedom of speech is our right as long as we don't offend anyone? I am motivated to ask this question because of the recent news that 5 University students were suspended because they, in a amateur talent contest, they put black makeup on their faces to stimulate a performance of the Jackson 5. Now, the Constitution does not say about freedom of speech that it is guarenteed as long as you don't offend anyone. No one is against the inoffensive. I just do not understand this legal transformation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,795 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 11:54 am
dov,

I'm not famaliar with this story at all but this could easily fit right into the "Legal' forum as opposed to "Reference". If you'd like I'll move it. Say the word!

In the mean time let me see if I can find anything on the story...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm
Legal might be good....I heard about this story, and thought it a bit ridiculous, really. What I found more ridiculous was Spike Lee's 'Bamboozled' and his lawsuit against 'Spike TV', which appears to be settled, that pretentious bastard...
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 11:21 pm
Rolling Eyes Mr. Fishin', If you need my okey-doekey to move this, then go ahead. Sometimes I don't know where to put things.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 05:12 am
OK, it's moved. I like to ask people before I just up and move things. No need to ruffle feathers unnecessarily. Wink

Do you have any links for the story you lead of with? I found a few from a year or two ago about complaints over college kids putting on blackface for Halloween but no mention of the Jackson 5 or anything recent.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 10:37 am
Confused I could well imagine in a case such as this a judge saying to the prosecution, "what the hell is this doing in my courtroom? Haven't any of you people heard of the 1st Amendment? If it offends anyone, then boo-hoo. Get over it". I don't suppose judges talk like that though unfortunately.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 10:49 am
My aunt does, on occasion Laughing Judges aren't subject to client privilege, so she has told some stories about just getting fed up with stupid cases, and telling the participants where to go, in the nicest possible legalese, of course.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
When is someone going to tell dov that this has nothing to do with free speech except as a concept.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 03:46 pm
I think you just did.

I've been waiting to see if it even happened. Any links, dov?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 07:55 pm
http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/article.php/7844
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 09:05 am
That link is almost 10 months old Cav! Smile I was hoping there was some new story.

I found the UT and the Auburn stories on the WWW but in all of those cases the students were re-instated and no disciplinary action was taken. I haven't seen one yet where the students were actually punished in any way. In the UT case the school told the black fratenity (they inititated the complaints) that the free speech rights of the students that donned the black-face over-rode their right not to be offended.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:58 pm
Fishin', Are you actually telling me that black students have a right NOT to be offended? Where in the Constitution does it say that?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 06:04 pm
fishin, yep, old link, and it does seem that the issue has been buried. Hmm...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 06:24 pm
Dov when you asked by PM I tried to explain it to you but apparently that didn't work.

Contitutional rights do not translate into every aspect of life.

Free Speech doesn't mean moms can't spank their kids if they scream vulgarities at their parents.

Free Speech does not mean you can say what you want in high school.

Etc etc.

I happen to think the punishment a bit ridiculous but this has nothing to do with the constitution.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:04 pm
dov1953 wrote:
Fishin', Are you actually telling me that black students have a right NOT to be offended? Where in the Constitution does it say that?

Tell me.. What is the basis of the Constitution? Is it not law? In fact, it is the SUPREME law in the US and the basis for all other laws in the US.

What do we do when someone OFFENDS one of those laws? Do we not arrest them, confine them, bring them to trial and, very possibly, imprison them?

The entire concept of law is based on the idea that the accused has offended the rules society has laid out and that sociecty has the right to seek retribution and/or compensation for those offenses.

If the collective "we" have a right to imprison people for offending society as a whole, a pretty strong argument could be made that there is an equeal individual right not to be offended. In fact as a part of our system of laws we do have laws protect people from being offended. We have laws against defamation of character and slander for example. Civil law is rife with other protections at the individual level.

The Constitution is not the final arbitrator of what is or isn't a right. The Constuitution is a document that lists several rights that are protected but it is not, and never has been, all-inclusive. I think you'd have a hard time pressing the idea that no one has any right to not be offended.
0 Replies