Vale Ian Porterfield

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:18 pm
I know you don't care, but I do

Sunderland mourn Porterfield
Wednesday 12 Sep 2007

Former Sunderland legend Ian Porterfield has died at the age of 61 after a battle with colon cancer.

Porterfield is best remembered for his winning goal against Leeds United in the 1973 FA Cup final, but following his playing career he forged a formidable reputation as a coach.

He enjoyed spells in charge of Rotherham United, Sheffield United, Aberdeen, Reading and Chelsea, before taking charge of the national teams of Zambia, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Oman, Trinidad & Tobago and most recently Armenia.

Former Sunderland team-mate Jim Montgomery told Sky Sports News: "It's a very sad day.

"I have known him since he first signed for the club and he was just a wonderful man, a gentleman who would do anything for anybody."

Current Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn added: "The word legend can be very much over-used in the modern era of football, but Ian is what I would call a true legend of the game.

"He is part of what can only be described as an institution in the long and proud history of Sunderland - the famous FA Cup-winning team of 1973."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,881 • Replies: 0
No top replies