Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
Pomegrantes are a wonderful, delicious fruit, but their seeds kinda confuse me as it's rather difficult to remove the ripe ruby red flesh from the seeds. Are these seeds edible in some way?

I ask, because I've seen some people put pomegranate kernels in salads, the flesh and the seed. Surely, it would make eating the salad difficult, unless you can consume the seed inside the flesh as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,016 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:02 am
Pomegranates, What do I do with them?
Recipe - Pomegranates, What do I do with them?
By BumbleBeeBoogie

Pomegranates are in season in the fall.

My favorite way to use pomegranate seeds is to toss them into fruit salads. My winter season Waldorf salads always sparkle with tangy ruby pomegranate seeds. They also are great in green and spinach salads, and even soups and stews. Try a leg of lamb with a wine sauce that include pomegranates, you'll love it.

Pomegranates (from the Latin name "Many-seeded apple") are native to the Middle East and thrive in dry, hot climates. The pomegranate of choice is the "Wonderful" ranging in size from a baseball to a small grapefruit, with a tough but thin skin.

When selecting a pomegranate, look for relatively large fruits, especially those that seem heavy for their size, which is an indication of juiciness. A deep red color is fine, but not imperative. A nice luster is good. A dull finish means old fruit. Beware of pomegranates with cuts or splits because they won't store well. Pomegranates store well at home in the refrigerator for at least two to three weeks. Pomegranates are high in potassium and have some vitamin C. Their peak season is October and November.

How do you get to the seeds? The meat of the pomegranate consists of clusters of tiny, edible seeds surrounded by a juicy, sweet-tart, crimson-colored pulp. These clusters are encased in a white, spongy membrane. If you follow the following procedure, you can get at these wonderful seeds easily:

With a sharp knife, slice off both ends and score, north to south, the skin only into orange peel wedges. Fill a large bowl or pot with cold water and let the pomegranate soak there for a few minutes.

Then, while holding it under water, crack open the fruit along the cut scores. With your fingers, flick the seeds out from the membrane. The seeds will sink to the bottom, while the non-edible membrane debris will float to the top. Skim this off, and then drain the water in a colander or sieve.

Not only do you now have the wonderful seeds, but you've avoided the crimson red juice, which is strong enough to stain stainless steel. Is it any wonder that pomegranate juice has been used for centuries to dye fabrics and yarns?

The best and easiest way to enjoy fresh pomegranate juice just like the ancient Persian spice traders did, is as follows:

Roll the pomegranate on a firm surface (kitchen counter top or table. When all of the popping and snapping has ceased, poke a hole in the pomegranate with a sharp knife, insert a straw and sip---or just squeeze the juice into a glass and slurp.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:25 am
Yeah, last Autumn I peeled the pomegranate in the way BBB suggested, letting it sit in the water about 20 minutes before peeling.

It worked really well.

I took me days to eat all the seeds. I'd nibble on them while reading, enjoying the tartness.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:41 am
Chai
Chai wrote:
Yeah, last Autumn I peeled the pomegranate in the way BBB suggested, letting it sit in the water about 20 minutes before peeling.
It worked really well.
I took me days to eat all the seeds. I'd nibble on them while reading, enjoying the tartness.

Glad my method worked for you, Chai. I wouldn't bother trying to get the seeds for cooking if this easier way wasn't discovered.

I planted a pomegranate tree in our yard for my children when they were little kids. Not only did they enjoy the seeds, but the neighborhood birds thought they were in manna heaven.

BBB
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:07 pm
Nobody's answered Wolf's question yet: Yes, you just pop the whole thing in your mouth and crunch it up. The seeds just add a little texture to what is basically a little pouch of pomegranate juice.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:15 pm
I buy my pomegranates in the form of Grenadine, simply pour over crushed ice and add vodka.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:29 pm
Wy wrote:
Nobody's answered Wolf's question yet: Yes, you just pop the whole thing in your mouth and crunch it up. The seeds just add a little texture to what is basically a little pouch of pomegranate juice.

oh yeah, sorry, missed that point.

sometimes I'll eat the seeds, and sometimes not.

If I immediately chew up and swallow, I'll crunch up the seeds with my toofies.

However, if I'm just sort of lazily eating them will reading or working on a craft type project, I find myself crushing them one at a time in my mouth, and discarding the seeds.

once the flesh is gone, the seed by itself is a little too bitter, and beyond providing roughage, I don't think does much for you.

I buy pomagranite juice by itself to drink, sometimes alone, and sometimes I mix with ice water or fizzy water.

Very refreshing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:56 pm
Re: Chai
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Chai wrote:
It worked really well.

I planted a pomegranate tree in our yard for my children when they were little kids. Not only did they enjoy the seeds, but the neighborhood birds thought they were in manna heaven.

BBB

I sure miss that tree. Pomegranates are way to expensive now that they've become a popular health drink. Autumn is not Autumn without eating at least one pomegranate.

I used to pride myself on being able to select that one pome in the bunch that was the largest, sweetest, and juiciest one. Ruined many an outfit with the dreaded pomegranate stain.

The seeds are harmless. They'll just add a little roughage to your morning visit to the throne. Try folding them into your favorite muffin batter or sprinkle a few on the pancakes as they cook.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 03:23 am
Wy wrote:

Yup, the confusing bit is that some people refer to the entire "kernel" as a seed, which makes me wonder whether the hard seed bit was edible or not, or just the flesh bit.

Plus I was stupid enough to wear a white shirt when opening it yesterday. I didn't follow the advice, because I've never actually had pomegranate juice splatter all over me. Nor did I know that pomegranate juice was used a dye. Good thing I immediately soaked it (the stains turned purple, then blue!) and then pretreated it, before washing. Hopefully, it'll come out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 04:59 am
good luck with that.

unforntunately, I can't see pom juice coming out.

when working with one, I always make sure I'm wearing an old housecleaning/cooking shirt that already h as stains on it.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 02:39 am
Chai wrote:
good luck with that.

unforntunately, I can't see pom juice coming out.

when working with one, I always make sure I'm wearing an old housecleaning/cooking shirt that already h as stains on it.

Yes, I learnt my lesson the hard way.
0 Replies