http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/1,28757,1658545,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,033 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:41 am
The Leyland P76 is a standout in Australia.

Ultimately, the P76 was a good car that suffered from a poor image. Perhaps the marketing team should have given the car a more significant name, so that it could effectively compete with the Kingswood, Falcon and Valiant. But more important in the public's perception of the car was the poor assembly quality, and problems with reliability and parts supply. The Leyland showrooms became deserted - and BMC made the decision to cease production

Today it is something of a "cult car" collectable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:59 am
I saw that JD Powers listed the RAnge Rover as Todays worst made car with like 300+ defects per 1000 vehicles (most of these serious). They also listed the Hummer as "most improved". I like that , with the Hummer, GM is now the Dick Cheney of the auto manufacturers
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:22 am
I'm especially fond of the Flyer ("parkbench on wheels") from that list. I think it's a splendid idea! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
http://img.timeinc.net/time/2007/50_cars/dymaxion.jpg

oh, and this one, too, seems like a stroke of a genius!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:06 am
Happy to see some of my personal choices made the list. Pacer and Crosley, in particular.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:19 pm
About 1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III: " Not finished ruining the lines, Jag plumped up the fenders, spoiling the smooth, aero-sleek contours of the original. The piece de resistance,
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:21 pm
Oh, I see.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
The name Dagmar Bumpers (and Dagmars) was a direct reference to Dagmar (born Virginia Ruth Egnor), the early 1950s television personality who was as well known for her pronounced cleavage as she was for her dumb blond character on the program Broadway Open House. Dagmar's physical attributes were further enhanced by low-cut gowns and the shape of her bra cups, which were somewhat conical. Egnor was amused by the tribute.

Confused
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:39 pm
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:45 pm
Damn

My AMC Hornet didn't make the list..

lucky you edgar, your Pacer got in. Do you know anyone who had a Gremlin

Hey, did your Pacer have the "desert only" feature on the air conditioner?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 01:06 pm
I didn't have a Pacer, but, I did buy a Gremlin. I loved the way it handled on the road, and thought the engine was essentially good. The things that went wrong? A fan blade snapped off and punched a hole in the radiator, as I cruised down the freeway at 70 mph. Had to get the valves ground. Back window hinge snapped. Had the carbuerator worked on after a year. The mechanic at the dealership wired the choke open and had me believe he had rebuilt it. Came back next day to find the mechanic no longer worked there. The pull handle to the driver's door broke off. Mostly, I enjoyed that car.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:04 pm
Iknow some people who still have an MG twin Cam in their garages. Pitiful really. Here are these people , approaching 65 still hanging on to dreams that they can once again get these POS to actually run again, and it wasd all because of the carbs. Thats why anyone who wanted to retain their old MGB's or MGC's would hastily recarb their little cars.

Why wasnt the ISetta on that list?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 02:10 pm
1973 Capri V6 (Lincoln Mercury) Wow..what a POS, which cost me 2 yrs savings. things just kept on breaking. Of course, the crappy mechanic I had didn't help out much .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 03:11 pm
Fiat Mulptipla.... all I can say is that it's a privilege to belong to the club of its owners. My sister had one. The thing was comfy and fun, even though things were falling off of it. Owners greet each other on the highways. They know that the 'outside' folk consider Multiplas butt ugly, but the owners they know better. There is beauty in this irradiated tadpole. I loved the thing, it was so ugly it made you love and cherish it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 06:45 am
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 06:58 am
I have to say that I am enjoying seeing all of these 'american made' cars on the list.
Ford, GM, Chrystler ........

Love it. Laughing
0 Replies