9 month old axle breaks!

churrl

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 11:54 am
I had both axles on my '94 Integra fixed by a great mechanic in California... driver's side in January and passenger's side a year ago.

We've moved to Ohio now and last week the car was at a shop for a week getting the relay replaced after a long, drawn out process with that mechanic and it didn't end well.

When I picked up the car, I noticed a clicking noise that happened intermittenly... in low gears or when downshifting or turning. It seemed pretty random. At one point there was a WHIRRR! sound also. The next day we planned on taking it to a new shop, but the driver's side axle broke after about 15 miles on the road.

The new shop has it now and showed me the damage. The driver's side axle is completely separated and he also showed me that the outer boot on the passenger's side is tearing also. He said it looked like the driver's side axle broke, which tore the boot... I know usually the boot tears first and dirt gets in there which wears down the joint.

I've read that usually people have that clicking noise for a little while before the axle actually separates...I only heard a little clicking and 25 miles later the axle was broken! And it was only 9 months old! Could this be a case of defective boots? I hate to say it, but I almost suspect the bad shop of tearing them. What else would cause that to happen so quickly to a new axle?

Also, from what I understand it's better to just go ahead and replace the entire passenger side axle rather than just the boot, huh? It's not too much more money and the boot seal will be better.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 753 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:04 am
Bump.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:34 am
Re: 9 month old axle breaks!
churrl wrote:
The new shop has it now and showed me the damage. The driver's side axle is completely separated and he also showed me that the outer boot on the passenger's side is tearing also. He said it looked like the driver's side axle broke, which tore the boot... I know usually the boot tears first and dirt gets in there which wears down the joint.

I've read that usually people have that clicking noise for a little while before the axle actually separates...I only heard a little clicking and 25 miles later the axle was broken! And it was only 9 months old! Could this be a case of defective boots? I hate to say it, but I almost suspect the bad shop of tearing them. What else would cause that to happen so quickly to a new axle?

"Normal" wear and tear is that the rubber boot breaks down, dirt/sand/water gets into the CV joint and the joint itself goes - not the axle.

In your case it appears that the axle went and took the CV joint boot with it. Two completely different scenarieos that end with the same result.

The axle could have been defective to start with or your previous mechanic could have donme sonmething wrong when he installed it.

Quote:

Also, from what I understand it's better to just go ahead and replace the entire passenger side axle rather than just the boot, huh? It's not too much more money and the boot seal will be better.

I've yet to hear of a situation where it isn't cheaper to just replace the whole thing. The parts will cost slightly more but there is significantly less labor involved so you end up saving on labor costs in the long run.
0 Replies