pork pie from Staffordshire named tastiest food in U.K.

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:14 am
Pork pie joins the upper crust set
Sep 4 2007
By Rhona Ganguly

It may not be considered the most sophisticated of Britain's delicacies but a Midlands-manufactured pork pie has received the highest accolade at the food industry's "Oscars".

On Monday, a pork pie entered by Birmingham butchers Walter Smith beat more than 4,000 other entries at the Great Taste Awards to win the title of Supreme Champion.

Held at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington, London, the competition saw 490 judges faced with finding the best product on the market out of 4,300 entries. Andrew Ayres, Walter Smith's managing director, said its pork pies were made from free range pork with pastry made to its own recipe and own blend of seasoning.

The recipe was developed at the company's Cannock branch by its regional director Robert Jones.

With 27 branches across the region, the company was established in 1885 and has become the largest privately owned chain of butchers in the country. Mr Ayres said: "Since this is the most prestigious food awards, to win something like this is just incredible.

"It says that ours is the best pork pie in the country and the judges have deemed it to be the best food item in Britain that was entered in the Great Taste Awards.

"We entered some months ago and then we went through various stages of judging."

He said the company's emphasis on using local organic pork had contributed to its win. Our recipe is a secret and the only thing I can tell you is that we only buy free range pigs and it is all locally sourced. They then go a few miles to the abattoir, which is just the other side of Walsall and Cannock.

"It is all free-range pork and is all prepared by hand, filled by hand and it is all our own recipe, with spices for seasoning. Everything is mixed by hand and the meat goes on by hand and then the pie is baked and glazed."

Walter Smith's pork pie win was strongly contested by a balsamic reduction with sherry and fig - which can be poured on deserts or used in a dressing - from En-Place Foods in Ireland and a handmade traditional velvet fudge by Hi-T's in London.

To choose between the three finalists, Guild of Fine Food director and leading industry figure Bob Farrand's panel of judges asked producers questions on sustainability, production values and food ethics.

"After this, it was quite clear who our winner was," he said. "The global food processing industry can con the public with fabulous packaging but you cannot fool the taste buds.

"Once again simple ingredients made with passion win hands down. Even supermarkets are now realising this but not, I hope, at the expense of the small independents." Now in its 14th year, the awards were created by the Guild of Fine Food and judges included journalist Charles Campion, musician, farmer and journalist Alex James, chef and TV star Sophie Michell and Tom Barker-Bowles.

It was described by Alex James, former band member of the group Blur, as "the David versus Goliath of the food world."

In addition to the competition, it is also an accreditation scheme, with products bearing its logo having proven to be of origin, quality and excellence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,538 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:31 am
Chef Talleyrand's Pork Pie recipe
PORK PIE
By Chef Talleyrand

The humble British 'toad in the hole' generated many, many emails from around the world requesting similar dishes. So continuing with this theme and tying in with the previous month's pastry recipes, we are going to make the quintessential British pie; made famous by the Melton Mowbray's pork pies . . . or is it?

France can quite easily lay claim to this dish, because in the Provence region, there is a small village called 'Pezanas', here they have "les petite pate de Pezanas" or the small pastry of Pezanas; which are a small (two bites) pork pies. They were created in 1790 by the personal chef of Lord Clive of India; who stayed there while briefly in exile. Suffering from homesickness and a dislike of the local foods heavily laced with garlic, his chef created them for him and when they left as a show of thanks and appreciation, he presented the village with the recipe. It is now held in such high esteem, they have a culinary society dedicated to it, where on initiation (in blue graduation gowns) candidates must swear to uphold five rules and swear to it on a rolling pin. They are then presented with a medallion in the shape of the miniature pie on a purple ribbon.

Most commercial pork pies however these days should really be termed 'bacon or ham pies' as they are made from cured meats and not true pork. There are many recipes for pork pies and mine is just one of them. But from this basic recipe try adjusting it to suit your own taste, leave out the cheese, omit, reduce or increase the sage etc. The pie can be made as one large pie in a casserole dish, as individual ones in deep muffin moulds or similar or made free form like the French version.

For those non British out there, the term 'pork pie' has another meaning also. People born in London call themselves Cockney's. To be a true Cockney you have to have been born within earshot of the sound of the bells of the Bow Church. Over the years, the Cockneys developed their own language, called Cockney rhyming slang. Where words or phrases are replaced by others that sound or rhyme with the original. So telling lies is known as telling 'pork pies'!

So with these pork pies in the sky rockets of your new whistle and flute, you could get on the dog and bone to your friends, go down the frog and toad using your plates of meat, to the rub-a-dub, for a pigs ear, tell a few pork pies of your own and no one would be any the wiser!

Email me if you can't work it out and would like a full translation!

I am more than happy to share with you my personal favourites, but prefer to hear from readers as to what recipes you would like to see appear each week. So don't be shy . . . email me and let me know.

Ingredients for Pork Pie

hot water paste 1 kg
onion 1 pc
pork shoulder meat 700 gm
chopped sage 2 tbs
pork sausage meat 300 gm
eggs 3 pc
milk 100 ml
Wensleydale cheese 100 gm
light chicken stock 1 lt
powdered gelatine

How to make Pork Pie
Basic preparation

Preheat the oven to 190ºC
Finely chop the onion
Cut the pork shoulder into 1/2 - 1cm dice or roughly mince
Lightly grease mould(s)

Heat chicken stock to a simmer and sprinkle in the gelatine while stirring until thoroughly dissolved, set aside

Pie mixture

Cook the finely chopped onion in a little oil without colour.

Add the pork and sage, cook quickly for 5minutes.

Allow to cool and add the sausage meat, combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.

Add the beaten eggs and milk and combine.

Creating the pie

Line mould(s) with the hot water paste* (keeping 1/4 of it for the tops).
Spoon in the mixture to 3/4's from the top. Sprinkle with the Wensleydale cheese (or combine this with the pie mixture). Moisten edges of pastry case with water, place a pastry lid on top and crimp sides to seal. Brush pastry lid with some beaten egg.

Put mould(s) on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to go cold in the moulds.

Cut a small hole in the tops of the pastry. Insert a piping tube into the each hole and pour in the stock until it starts to overflow. Place in the refrigerator until set.

Chef's Tip for Pork Pie

Serve chilled with 'Branston' or Ploughman's pickle, crusty bread, a thick slice of English Cheddar, a tossed side salad and a glass of beer for a true English Ploughman's lunch!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
Or you can oder the authentic Melton Mowbray Pork Pie
Or you can oder the authentic Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

http://www.meltonmowbrayporkpies.com/themeltonmowbrayporkpie.html
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 04:04 am
Re: Chef Talleyrand's Pork Pie recipe
PORK PIE .......South East London styleee....

So with these pork pies[pork pie=singular(lie),porky pies=plural](lies)in the sky rockets(pockets) of your new whistle and flute(suit), you could get on the dog and bone(phone) to your friends, go down the frog and toad(road) using your plates of meat(feet), to the rub-a-dub(pub), for a pigs ear(beer), tell a few pork(y) pies(lies) of your own and no one would "(be any the wiser!)" =(twig) Very Happy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:57 am
Re: Chef Talleyrand's Pork Pie recipe
barrythemod wrote:
PORK PIE .......South East London styleee....

So with these pork pies[pork pie=singular(lie),porky pies=plural](lies)in the sky rockets(pockets) of your new whistle and flute(suit), you could get on the dog and bone(phone) to your friends, go down the frog and toad(road) using your plates of meat(feet), to the rub-a-dub(pub), for a pigs ear(beer), tell a few pork(y) pies(lies) of your own and no one would "(be any the wiser!)" =(twig) Very Happy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:52 am
BBB,

I don't know how much of the UK you are familiar with, but no Brit that I know would go out of their way to visit Stafford (pies or no pies) !

If its pies and ambience you want I can heartily recommend the Yorkshire town of Skipton in the Dales (Bill Bryson and Patrick Stewart [Star Trek's Picard] territory). "The Famous Pie Shop" is just by Skipton Castle, and there's a thriving market three days a week where you buy anything from local cheese to Chinese pyjamas. If you are over 50 you can even crash out in the "Drop In Centre" on the main street where you can get a mug of Yorkshire tea and a toasted teacake for £1.00 !
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:58 am
fresco
fresco wrote:
BBB, I don't know how much of the UK you are familiar with, but no Brit that I know would go out of their way to visit Stafford (pies or no pies) ! If its pies and ambience you want I can heartily recommend the Yorkshire town of Skipton in the Dales (Bill Bryson and Patrick Stewart [Star Trek's Picard] territory). "The Famous Pie Shop" is just by Skipton Castle, and there's a thriving market three days a week where you buy anything from local cheese to Chinese pyjamas. If you are over 50 you can even crash out in the "Drop In Centre" on the main street where you can get a mug of Yorkshire tea and a toasted teacake for £1.00 !

I'm most familiar with "The Lake District" of the UK.

Are you going to send me a box of pies?

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:11 am
BBB.

No point....best eaten hot from the shop (watch out for the juice !)

The Lakes are pretty, but full of tourists. Try the Dales, or the Derbyshire Peak District as less crowded alternatives.
0 Replies