• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:45 am
Quote:
Lewis's telethon raised $63.7 million (U.S.) for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, up $3 million from last year.

The Star
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:55 am
I love Jerry Lewis.
Did anyone complain about the 'illiterate' comment?

I think he is of a different generation.

His apology was very professional and grown up, an example we could all learn by.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:06 am
material girl wrote:
I love Jerry Lewis.
Did anyone complain about the 'illiterate' comment?

I think he is of a different generation.

His apology was very professional and grown up, an example we could all learn by.

I agree - this doesn't excuse the comment of course, but he is of a different generation where such words were "acceptable" in comedy. Also, his apology was immediate and he took full responsbility and gave no excuses for himself. Everyone makes mistakes, it is how you handle yourself after the mistake and how you make amends that is the difference.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:12 am
Quote:
"We want to sit down with him, help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor," Giuliano said.

I am the first one to bristle at a homophobic slur. In this case though, as was mentioned, Lewis is an elderly man, and a comic from another era. He caught himself and apologized. Why can these groups understand, and just let it go???
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:12 am
If we didn't have Jerry, we wouldn't have the millions donated to neuro-muscular research.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
"We want to sit down with him, help him understand why these words are so hurtful, and give him an opportunity to raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor," Giuliano said.

I am the first one to bristle at a homophobic slur. In this case though, as was mentioned, Lewis is an elderly man, and a comic from another era. He caught himself and apologized. Why can these groups understand, and just let it go???

I don't think he needs to "... raise public awareness about the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs, even more so in attempted humor." They're doing well enough on their own.

I agree that his apology should be enough.

And frankly, why aren't people allowed to dislike the gay lifestyle? Why do we all have to be the same? I don't agree with advertising the fact in public, but if that's how you feel, that's how you feel, and what you say in private is your business.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:21 pm
There's a 5-7 sec delay in TV and radio transmission and it's the
responsiblity of the station to bleep out the undesirable words.
Sounds like someone was asleep on the job...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 08:15 pm
The shtick wasn't even funny, to me. I only liked him with Dean Martin anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtick
Miller

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 02:07 am
@Foofie,
I've always liked Jerry and I'll be sure to watch him this coming Labor day.
0 Replies