I Just Discovered Jalepeno Jelly !

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:34 am
At Wine Club the other night, one of the residents brought some little muffins topped with her mother's homemade jalepeno jelly and a little square of cream cheese. The "muffin" base was kinda sweet. OMG! Delicious!

This is the closest recipe I could find:

Hot Pepper Jelly Muffins
From Betty Crocker Holiday Appetizers

1 package corn bread and muffin mix (recipe calls for Betty Crocker brand)
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
1 egg
2 tbsp canned chopped green chilies
3 tbsp (or more as needed) red hot pepper or green jalapeno jelly

Heat oven to 400. Place mini-muffin paper baking cups into each of 15 small muffin cups (1 3/4 x 1 inch)

Prepare muffin mix as directed on package, using milk, margarine and egg. Stir chilies into batter. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Top each with 1/4 teaspoon jelly- press jelly lightly into batter.

Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately from pan. Top each muffin with additional 1/4 teaspoon jelly. Serve warm.

The difference is that she did not have the green chili's, and topped with the baby square of cream cheese.

I also bought a pork roast yesterday and plan to try the jalepeno jelly glaze on that.

Do you have any great ways to enjoy jalepeno jelly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:37 am
Yes, mix it with a little butter and brandy and it makes an excellent glaze for cornish game hens - yummy!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:02 am
Squinney
Squinney, try coating your favorite meat loaf with the jelly.

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
Just straight - nothing else BBB? I'm seeing glaze recipes, but I'm guessing you are saying that isn't necessary?

Mame - I have never done cornish hens for the family. I've considered them cost prohibitive due to family size. Might be a good one to try for a special occasion.

I may have erred in getting the "Mild." I love hot!

Speaking of hot lovers... I bet Dys can contribute something here.

(Calling out, "Oh, Dyyy-iiis... ")
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 10:18 am
Recipe for Elegant Meatloaf by BumbleBeeBoogie
Squinney, I created this recipe several years ago. You can eliminate the filling if you want to simplify the recipe.

This is the meat loaf to make when you want something special.

LOAF MIXTURE:

2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup red wine
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
1/2 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon allspice
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste

FILLING:

1/2 pound smoked mozzarella cheese or 1/2 pound smoked gouda cheese
1/2 pound roasted (charred) sweet Italian peppers or 1 jar (equaling 8 ounces) roasted sweet Italian peppers
1 cup sauted thin mushroom slices.

GLAZE: 1 small jar of red pepper jelly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees; place rack in the center of the oven.

Combine in a large bowl all but the "filling" and "glaze" ingredients and blend well with both hands.

Spread the mixture to cover a 9" x 12" sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Leave 1-inch around the edges of the paper or plastic wrap so the filling will not escape when being rolled up.

Slice the cheese into thin slices. Distribute the slices of cheese over the mixture leaving 1 inch uncovered along the edges. Spread the peppers and mushrooms over the cheese.

Using the waxed paper or plastic wrap as a rolling aid, slowly roll the filled mixture into a jelly roll form, removing the paper or plastic wrap from the mixture as you roll it up. Using a large spatula to lift the loaf, place it (seam-side down) in a baking dish or pan large enough to leave at least 1-inch clear on all sides to allow complete browning of the surface. Pinch the ends of the rolled mixture together to seal in the filling.

Spoon 1/2 jar of the red pepper jelly over the top of the loaf.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the meat juices run clear. Spoon the remaining 1/2 jar of red pepper jelly over the hot meat loaf. Allow the meat loaf to cool for at least 1/2 hour before slicing into 1-inch servings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 10:27 am
<Clunk!>

There IS a heaven!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:07 pm
Re: Recipe for Elegant Meatloaf by BumbleBeeBoogie
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Squinney, I created this recipe several years ago. You can eliminate the filling if you want to simplify the recipe.

This is the meat loaf to make when you want something special.

LOAF MIXTURE:

2 pounds ground beef chuck
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup red wine
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
1/2 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1/2 teaspoon allspice
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste

FILLING:

1/2 pound smoked mozzarella cheese or 1/2 pound smoked gouda cheese
1/2 pound roasted (charred) sweet Italian peppers or 1 jar (equaling 8 ounces) roasted sweet Italian peppers
1 cup sauted thin mushroom slices.

GLAZE: 1 small jar of red pepper jelly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees; place rack in the center of the oven.

Combine in a large bowl all but the "filling" and "glaze" ingredients and blend well with both hands.

Spread the mixture to cover a 9" x 12" sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Leave 1-inch around the edges of the paper or plastic wrap so the filling will not escape when being rolled up.

Slice the cheese into thin slices. Distribute the slices of cheese over the mixture leaving 1 inch uncovered along the edges. Spread the peppers and mushrooms over the cheese.

Using the waxed paper or plastic wrap as a rolling aid, slowly roll the filled mixture into a jelly roll form, removing the paper or plastic wrap from the mixture as you roll it up. Using a large spatula to lift the loaf, place it (seam-side down) in a baking dish or pan large enough to leave at least 1-inch clear on all sides to allow complete browning of the surface. Pinch the ends of the rolled mixture together to seal in the filling.

Spoon 1/2 jar of the red pepper jelly over the top of the loaf.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the meat juices run clear. Spoon the remaining 1/2 jar of red pepper jelly over the hot meat loaf. Allow the meat loaf to cool for at least 1/2 hour before slicing into 1-inch servings.

Having grown up in the UK,I have always heard of Meat Loaf via American TV shows or movies and have never found an English equivalent.Looking forward to giving this a try in the next couple of weeks.Will have to "wing it" on the red pepper jelly as we don't have that either.
One question.....how dry does it serve up? Does it need a gravy/sauce,and what vegetables would you suggest for this "classic" American dish?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:04 am
barrythemod
barrythemod, the usual vegetables served with traditional meatloaf is mashed potatoes and gravy and a vegetable.

My recipe is different from the usual and does not need a gravy. I probably would serve it with fresh asparagus spears sprinkled with olive oil and freshly ground pepper---or zucchini summer squash, or fresh green beans, cooked with canned diced tomatoes and onions. A green tossed spinach salad goes well with this. Top it off with a dessert of a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

To order red pepper jelly, this of one of many sites:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=gourmet-index&field-keywords=red%20pepper%20jelly&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_gourmet-index_11348794_2&results-process=default

BBB
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:53 am
I love cream cheese and pepper jelly with ritz crackers. Yummy. A great thing to take to a party!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:11 am
Re: barrythemod
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
barrythemod, the usual vegetables served with traditional meatloaf is mashed potatoes and gravy and a vegetable.

My recipe is different from the usual and does not need a gravy. I probably would serve it with fresh asparagus spears sprinkled with olive oil and freshly ground pepper---or zucchini summer squash, or fresh green beans, cooked with canned diced tomatoes and onions. A green tossed spinach salad goes well with this. Top it off with a dessert of a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

To order red pepper jelly, this of one of many sites:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=gourmet-index&field-keywords=red%20pepper%20jelly&results-process=default&dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_aw_tops-1_gourmet-index_11348794_2&results-process=default

BBB

Thanks for that BBB.I've found a supplier of red pepper jelly this side of the pond.Can't wait to give this a try.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 04:55 pm
I bought some egg rolls the other day. Just realized i forgot to get duck sauce.

OMG! You have to try the jalapeno jelly as a dipping sauce for egg rolls!!!

I need more egg rolls... Sad

At least the Ritz were on sale, buy one get one. Another great combo.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:02 pm
I make my own chile jelly. Red, green, it's all good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:52 pm
What types of peppers do you use, cj?

I'm looking for a recipe to make a Thai-style sweet chili jelly. I can find all sorts of hot pepper jellies (aktbird57 from abuzz/a2k used to sell it, may still do so), but I'm on to searching for a hot/sweet variant.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:26 pm
ehBeth
ehBeth, you may find the recipe you are looking for here:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:R8pvU4UddgEJ:www.khiewchanta.com/Recipe-Browser/thai-cuisine.html+Thai-style+sweet+chili+jelly+recipe&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:30 pm
Thanks, BBB, but not quite what I had in mind (though there are some good recipes in there, which may get some attention later Very Happy ).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:27 am
Not exactly sure what you are looking for. Most hot chile jelly recipes also call for sweet peppers to get the color up. My jalapenos were so mild this year I used them exclusively - just sugar, vinegar, peppers, and pectin. That's it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
Hi cjhsa. You know Thai Chili Chicken? I'm trying to create/find a pepper jelly that heads that direction - sweet and hot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 10:45 am
(picturing cjhsa in kitchen, wearing apron, canning... with rifle on the counter.)

Laughing

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Were the peppers milder due to excess rain?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:20 pm
No, due to overwatering on my part and the UofT and their genetically engineered "mild" jalapenos - the bane of hot pepper gardeners everywhere.
0 Replies