Weird Washing Machine Problems - HELP

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 06:45 pm
Hi everyone

I have a 2006 Sears Kenmore Oasis washing machine - model 110.27042601

Over at least the past month, it has leaked 3 times, however, not while it's running!! I will do a load (or two, or three) and have literally watched it during all loads and no water leakage. However, when I find it is the next morning and it's all over the floor. The first time, it went onto my brand new hardwood floors from the utility room and caused them to warp/crack. That is a whole other issue but I mention it to give you an idea it's not a dribble - it's a fair amount of water.

I just called Sears and described everything to him. Here is a summary:

The water exits the machine near the top, therefore, there must be a pump in the unit. It then goes to a stand pipe where it drains. The standpiipe is in the wall. Home is brand new construction. There is no damage to the baseboard or wall and I just checked the crawl space and no damage to the subflorring (thank goodness). The rubber tubes coming off the hot & cold valves are even dusty. It isn't dripping or coming from there - the Sears guy told me it had to be b/c if it doesn't leak during the time it's running, there is no way it will after.

SO, when I moved the machine out from the wall, I noticed slushing. There IS water still in the machine!! Now, it's NOT in the actual tub where the clothes go - that area is completely dry. But there is water in there somewhere b/c when I move the tub around it makes a sloshing noise and you can certainly hear water.

That is why I came here - does anyone know the workings of a washing machine (or my particular one) enough to tell me HOW water could be in there and where it is resting?

I don't understand why it leaks intermittently though. I can do laundry on a Monday and then go in Tuesday morning and there will be water all over. Then do another load on Wednesday and not have any water. In fact, I can go a week or two or whatever and no water and then out of the blue, it will leak again. I do not know if maybe it has to do with HOW MANY loads I do in a night? Maybe it's when I do like 3 loads in a night that it leaks or stores water. I dunno. Either way it shouldn't be!!

Can anyone offer help or suggestions? I want to make sure it gets taken care of the FIRST time the tech comes out. My neighbor has had sears come out NUMEROUS times to her place to fix an ice maker and dishwasher (Again, her place is brand new too, and brand new appliances - our places came with Kenmore) and I don't want to go through all the issues she has with Sears. They sound horrible to deal with.

I want them (and feel they should) to fix my floor too. It was the first time that it caused the damage b/c I had no idea. The next two times I was prepared b/c I had blankets down on the floor to catch the water for when it DID decide to leak. Any one have any experience on that topic?

Thanks a ton! Thought I would try to nip this in the bud before it escalates versus coming on here after it has been an issue. Thanks again!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,813 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:08 am
Bump.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 03:58 am
idahoadventurer wrote:
I don't understand why it leaks intermittently though. I can do laundry on a Monday and then go in Tuesday morning and there will be water all over. Then do another load on Wednesday and not have any water. In fact, I can go a week or two or whatever and no water and then out of the blue, it will leak again. I do not know if maybe it has to do with HOW MANY loads I do in a night? Maybe it's when I do like 3 loads in a night that it leaks or stores water. I dunno. Either way it shouldn't be!!

Sounds like a slow leak. Hmm it can also be in the pipe coming out of the machine as opposed to the machine itself (we had that), but given the sloshing sound, I bet it's in the machine. Any damage to the exterior?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:09 am
It could be a faulty pump or exit pipe seal seal.

Water usually remains in the exit pipe after a wash. This can be several litres depending on the height/length of the exit pipe.

Water standing in the exit pipe after a wash will exert pressure on the connected pipework and pump and may leak slowly over a couple of hours.

My best bet is a faulty pump seal.

I dont know the machine at all but can you take the front or side panel off and get a look inside?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:31 am
dadpad wrote:
It could be a faulty pump or exit pipe seal seal.

Water usually remains in the exit pipe after a wash. This can be several litres depending on the height/length of the exit pipe.

Water standing in the exit pipe after a wash will exert pressure on the connected pipework and pump and may leak slowly over a couple of hours.

My best bet is a faulty pump seal.

I dont know the machine at all but can you take the front or side panel off and get a look inside?

Precisely!

The ejector pump sits below the level of the tub so that when the washer gets to a cycle where the tub drains the ejector pump kicks on and forces the water up the drain tube to the stand pipe.

There should be a check valve on the output side of the pump to prevent any remaining water in the tube from coming back into the pump. Sometimes that valve is built into the pump itself but either way, it doesn't sound like it is functioning.

After the washer is used, the tube to the standpipe still has water in it. With no check valve (or a leak in the tube after the check valve) the water will find the lowest possible point to settle. It isn't under pressure (other than the force of gravity) so if it can leak out it will do so slowly and you'll see it in a day or two.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:44 am
The stand pipe height is important. the pump in most washing machines is only small and damage overheating can opccor from overheating when trying to lift water obove a certain height.

Other things to check blockages from pins buttons lint either pre pump post pump or within the pump. From your other thread "whites not white" I would be suspicious of a blockage or non clearance of wash water.

Possibly syphoning back from the stand pipe. This would depend on a sealed connection at the stand pipe.
0 Replies

idahoadventurer

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:51 pm
Great input all!! I greatly appreciate it... Thought this one was going to be a lost cause as it appeared it was stumping everyone... so VERY glad to see some educated guesses!! I will make sure to share with the tech who is coming out this Saturday. I won't go into it b/c I don't want to void the warranty or anything so will let that up to the professional. Thanks again!

JIM
0 Replies

Snyder

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 01:45 pm
I have a similar problem, but my washer elite doesn't leak it bounces all around the floor. There is water sloshing around somewhere in the tub but I can't see any water, also found water inside the liner. Can anyone help me?
0 Replies