what should i get 4 my 1st car??

ruby91

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
i hav a road test this saturday n my mom said that if i passed i can try to ask my dad to buy me a car. so i was thinking what kind of car should i get? i think i want to get a used car since im gonna borrow my dads money to get it. Is there any nice, descent car thats not so expansive? cuz i dun wanna drive a crappy old car to school...and i am not sure about the budget yet..any suggestion? website? thx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 943 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:41 am
Consumer reports has an annual report on used cars. Maintenance records, comparisons, etc. Combine that with a blue book to get an idea of what you can afford.

Don't expect to buy a car and that to be the end of the expense. Maintenance, especially on an older car, is very important. Tires, oil, transmission, parts, registration, inspection, etc. will be a recurring cost.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:50 am
Get a Volkswagen Beetle, that's a sturdy reliable car that can take a lot
of beating. I can vouch for it!! l Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:53 am
I forgot insurance.... This will definitely be less if you buy a used car.
0 Replies

PWags28

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:18 am
I am also about to get a new car. i have my mom's old infinity right now but its on the verge of death.
After comparing alot of prices and gas efficiency i've come to the conclusion that the best car to get is either the toyota carolla or the toyota yaris. I'd like to get a camry but it's a little too expensive.
Nissan altima and maxima are also pretty good cars to get as a first. decent prices and pretty good gas milage.
0 Replies

PWags28

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:22 am
just to make clear, the toyota yaris SEDAN! the toyota yaris is ugly. i wouldnt want to be driving that to school.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Budget is a little important...

Can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda.

Or a 1984 Yugo. NICE.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:49 am
Compare insurance rates on a few cars - run the budget on gas/maintenance/parking - then figure out what you can reasonably afford.

Check with your parents if they will consider adding you to one of their existing vehicles on their insurance policy, prior to you getting your own car and insurance policy - having an insurance history can make an enormous difference in the pricing on your first policy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:56 pm
PWags28 wrote:
i've come to the conclusion that the best car to get is either the toyota carolla or the toyota yaris.

I love my Carolla, and our Honda Civic. Civic's been better both in terms of maintenance and mileage, but we bought it new and have maintened it well.

I've never heard of a Yaris.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:59 pm
PWags28 wrote:
just to make clear, the toyota yaris SEDAN! the toyota yaris is ugly. i wouldnt want to be driving that to school.

Just took a look; looks like a balloon with wheels.

Nevertheless, it's a car. And a Toyota.
0 Replies