Art Associations or galleries

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 04:37 pm
Does anyone here know of any art associations or galleries that I may be able to join? I live just outside of Houston and, as much as it likes to boast, Houston really is not an 'art' city.

All of the places I have looked in to (the few I could find) were for the bored house wives of local oil barons who slap some paint on a canvas and add a Japanese character in the middle and call it deep and fine art Rolling Eyes . Besides, unless you have a four carat diamond ring on your finger they don't want to talk to you.

If not that then it's a gallery that charges you three grand a month with a hefty commission on top and you get an area the size of a coffee table.

I will be moving to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area soon (by the end of October) and I am hopeful that they have a bit more variety. I have met with a couple of people from the area that do art and I at least have a glimmer of hope that it will be better. I was just hoping that any of y'all might have a heads up for me on who to approach and maybe who to stay away from.

I work in a variety of media and genre. Wildlife is a great amount of what I do, but I also do a lot of comic book work and portraiture. All over the place really. I will draw whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

Any input is appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,476 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:32 pm
I don't know Houston, so I'm not much help. I joined the local art association back in my last home town in California, and had my work hung in a few of their, um, hodgepodge shows. Never sold anything through them.

I did follow what was going on at my local museum, and entered judged shows, and had paintings in the museum off and on because of that.

On galleries, go talk to them in person, in your city or other Texas cities. Have a disc or set of slides with you. If your work is not huge, have some packed in the car. When I had a gallery, we always liked to see the original work, certainly before agreeing to a show. If your work is large, invite gallery people to your studio.

I haven't joined the art association in my new city since it seems to meet way across this pretty large city.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 06:57 pm
Thanks for replying! I have given up on Houston as I well soon be living in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in a couple of months. I was just hoping to hear from anyone who might be familiar with the art scene in that area.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 05:12 pm
@Aldistar,
Do they have First Friday in Texas? They have that all over NY. Have you ever considered joining any art guilds?
0 Replies