The Andrew Bolt Thread

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:14 pm
I truly despise Andrew Bolt

For those of you unaware of his work he is a Melbourne journo with a (for an Australian) extremely right wing take on everything (think PP Morgan or Piers Akkerman if you're a Sydneysider) . And he's evangelical in espousing his views (which I can only hope he holds onto for money otherwise he must lead a very unhappy life).

I don't read a melbourne paper so I am only exposed to his rants via the ABC's Insiders programme where he is one of a panel of three who discuss 'issues of the day' with the host.

Anyway Bolt completely cheesed me yesterday by agreeing with, and trying to justify, Bush's recent assertion that the american withdrawal from Vietnam caused the rise of Pol Pot in Cambodia. The current US administration has been fabricating (sorry 'making' reality) for 7 years so that wasn't surprising but Bolt's defence of that line strikes me as an unforgivable lie. Therefore I dedicate this thread to collecting his diktats and exposing them for the lies, falsehoods and fabrications they are.

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 04:36 am
aka known as Andrew Blot. Ha!

Looking foward to reading your collection.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:06 pm
Nothing to report on AB this week - he was replaced by the toad (Piers Akkerman).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 01:08 am
Nothing? Sad

What a disappointment!

Replaced temporarily, I presume, not forever? Cool
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:32 pm
They chop and change all the time but there is always one right wing bully boy nazi on the panel for 'balance', isn't wonderful to have a Murdoch lackey on the board of the national broadcaster?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:16 am
hingehead wrote:
They chop and change all the time but there is always one right wing bully boy nazi on the panel for 'balance', isn't wonderful to have a Murdoch lackey on the board of the national broadcaster?

Which particular lackey are you referring to, hinge? I've lost track of the interesting collection of ultra conservative lackeys on the Board. Is there a solitary voice for the left there now, in the name of "balance"? :wink:
Poor Auntie.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:00 am
Oh, I just wrote about this on the next oz election thread, but Janet Albrechtsen is on the ABC Board and is a journo on the Australian - I think there's another new ltd employee on the board too.

The Alan Jones bio was commissioned by the ABC but publication was quashed because of the Murdoch influence.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:33 pm
Courtesy of Media Watch

Brendan Nelson has hand picked three journos to accompany him to Iraq (two have recently been and came back spouting the Bush 'troop surge is working' furphy. Read more about this at Media Watch

Guess who is number three? The ever reliable libsuckhole Andrew Bolt - can't wait to see his take on the experience - then hold it up to a mirror to get an inkling of the truth.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 03:49 pm
Haven't seen much of the knob lately, but he was back last Sunday.

The discussion came around to Peter Costello's princessness about the lib leadership.

One panel member referred to a conversation with senior party member who said Costello 'never had the balls' to challenge for the leadership. Bolt leaps to his defence 'Why should run if he can't win?' Not twelve months after saying the libs were doomed because Costello didn't run for the leadership.

He does hold a candle for Peter. He also holds his peter and uses a candle. Sorry. He is truly a prat. Good to see Malcolm Farr stir him up.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:40 pm
Bolt on the Insiders. "Last year they said the drought was caused by climate change, now they say it's causing the floods". Yes Andrew, climate change predictors said greater extremes of climate phenomena. He can't be as dumb as he sounds, so it is just malevolence.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:19 pm
Have had to put with Bolt on insiders and on 7pm project. Got this pearl of wisdom last night:

Only 65 people were killed in the Chernobyl disaster.

I suspect he was basing it on a report compiled in 2005:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article563041.ece

But he misquoted, misled and missed out - as usual.
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:27 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Only 65 people were killed in the Chernobyl disaster.

So what was his argument?
(I didn't see either program.)
hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:42 pm
@msolga,
It wasn't an argument, it was just a stated fact:

'There were only 65 people killed by the Chernobyl meltdown'

He has gone into attack mode as soon as the Japanese reactors had issues post earthquake, fearing that this would be used as an argument against nuclear reactors in Australia. I'm assuming he's on the payroll of some pro-nuclear organisation.

He dismissed Professor Tilman Ruff of the Nossal Institute, calling him partisan, because he had talked to his own 'expert' Ziggy Twitkowski. How is Bolt so irony challenged?

You have to go to about 2 min 3o secs in to see the nuclear bit:
http://7pmproject.com.au/video.htm?movideo_p=39696&movideo_m=96513
msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:45 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
He has gone into attack mode as soon as the Japanese reactors had issues post earthquake, fearing that this would be used as an argument against nuclear reactors in Australia. I'm assuming he's on the payroll of some pro-nuclear organisation.

He dismissed Professor Tilman Ruff of the Nossal Institute, calling him partisan, because he had talked to his own 'expert' Ziggy Twitkowski. How is Bolt so irony challenged?

Dunno. Beats me!
Ah, so he's part of the pro-nuclear lobby.
I see!
Silly me. Shoulda guessed. Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:06 pm
I didn't realise that Ziggy Switkowski had a degree and doctorate in nuclear physics. I thought he was just your run of the mill dodo businessman.

Makes sense to have a nuclear physicist running the country's telecommunications. And he did so well, too!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:27 pm
Glenn Beck TV Show to End:
http://able2know.org/topic/170389-1

Channel Ten confirms new Sunday morning show hosted by Andrew Bolt:
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/channel-ten-confirms-new-sunday-morning-show-hosted-by-andrew-bolt/story-e6frfmyi-1226035388680#ixzz1It2Gfa4F

Neutral

`
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 06:46 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Nothing black and white about Bolt's case and right to free speech
April 1, 2011/the AGE

Sometimes Melbourne gets all the fun. The race discrimination case taken by a group of indigenous Australians against the Herald and Weekly Times and its populist columnist, Andrew Bolt, is transfixing much of the town. Fortunately, some of the excitement is trickling up to the intellectually starved citizens north of the Murray.

There are some well-known names in this action, including the academics Larissa Behrendt, Anita Heiss and Mark McMillan, the Queensland Labor candidate Leeanne Enoch, the former ATSIC chairman Geoff Clark and the artist Bindi Cole. None of the applicants is seeking damages.

Possibly the case is transfixing because so many people, while being ardent right-to-free-speechers, cannot stand Bolt and his bumptiousness and they not-so-secretly hope he goes down in a screaming heap.

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/04/01/2273954/bolt-420x0.jpg
Andrew Bolt at the Australian Federal Court. Photo: Michael Claton-Jones

This is a fascinating issue, with some important principles at stake. Frankly, I felt like having a long, hot shower after reading Bolt's articles. They comprised a nasty, personal rant against fair-skinned part-Aboriginal people who identify as indigenous Australians. He contends that they could have chosen other parts of their racial make-up with which to identify. ''This self-identification as Aboriginal strikes me as self-obsessed, and driven more by politics than by any racial reality,'' he wrote in an online column ''White is the new black''. Arbitrary identification by white Aborigines advances their careers and deprives blacker Aborigines of opportunities, he said.

Aboriginality is a topic worthy of decent analysis and commentary but in Bolt's hands it turned into a crude sneer, replete with errors. What makes it all so touching is that this disher of hyperventilated opinions was most indignant in the witness box that he had been smeared by the applicants' lawyers and there really should be an apology to him....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/nothing-black-and-white-about-bolts-case-and-right-to-free-speech-20110331-1cn8l.html
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 07:26 pm
@msolga,
That's great news Olgs - it means I won't see that empty head on Insiders any more!

Clearly Ten didn't pay much attention to commenters on the 7pm Project web site - who swore they wouldn't watch the show while Bolt spewed his crap.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 08:12 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
That's great news Olgs - it means I won't see that empty head on Insiders any more!

While I can fully appreciate your relief & joy about this, hinge (what Insiders fans won't be delighted? Wink ) I am a wee bit nervous about Bolt gaining even further fame & populist influence via a commercial network. Having observed the Fox-influenced political shenanigans in the US from a long way away, I really don't want to see similar here. For pretty obvious reasons. (Also I'm noting the Sydney shock jocks' role in the recent ugly anti-carbon tax/anti "JuLIAR" ( Rolling Eyes ) rallies in Sydney. It really worries me that we might see similar US-style political polarizations here.

If I'm to believe the media reports, Bolt's new program on channel ten was Gina Rinehart's suggestion.:

Quote:
In the 2010 BRW Rich 200 she was described as "Australia's richest woman", with an estimated net worth at A$4.75 bn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Rinehart

Also she is a part-owner of channel 10, an admirer of Bolt's, & she definitely has a political agenda, as you'd be well aware. Think back to those mining tax protests which screwed Labor (& us tax payers & ordinary non-millionaire citizens) royally! :
Quote:
AUSTRALIA'S richest woman, Gina Rinehart, shouted herself hoarse on the back of a flat-bed truck yesterday in an extraordinary display of emotion from the reclusive iron ore magnate.....

...Yesterday's protest lasted less than 30 minutes but the spectacle was managed by the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies for maximum impact.

AMEC promoted the rally on its website with a version of Edmund Burke's words about the triumph of evil: "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Workers from Twiggy Forrest's FMG walked to the rally from their nearby city office, while others came in a bus provided by mining services company Ausdrill. ......

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/resource-magnates-rally-to-their-protest-against-tax/story-e6frgczf-1225877654062

Please tell me I am just being paranoid & we have nothing at all to worry about. Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:17 pm
@msolga,
From today's AGE.:
Quote:
Bolt show for Channel Ten

The Bolt Report will air for 30 minutes each Sunday at 10am, starting on May 8. The timeslot avoids a clash with the controversial columnist's former program, Insiders, between 9am and 10am on the ABC. Instead, The Bolt Report will square off against Business Insiders. .....

More on Gina Rinehart's involvement.:
Quote:
''I have no idea what Rinehart hopes now to do to Ten, if anything,'' Bolt wrote in his Herald Sun column last November soon after the West Australian mining magnate bought a 10 per cent stake in the company for $168 million. ''Nor could I guess what chances she'd have of turning it into, say, an Australian Fox News, even if she wanted to … But I do have an idea of what worries Rinehart about our future.''

Interesting reader responses, too! Wink

http://www.theage.com.au/national/bolt-show-for-channel-ten-20110407-1d66c.html?comments=93#comments