Recipe Contest: Vegetarian Risotto (rice and pasta)

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 10:39 am
I'm going to post a couple of risotto recipes here, is that ok? They will be free-form style as well.

Fresh-Herb Risotto:

One or two bay leaves
Stripped leaves off of one 3" lengths of rosemary
Stripped leaves off of one 4" length of thyme
Handlful of fresh basil: chopped
About a teaspoon of cilantro (I usually use dried cilantro)

More olive oil than you think is right at least a 1/2 C)
One small onion: chopped
2-3 garlic cloves: minced
1 C Arborio rice
3 C Vegetable broth (I use boullion cubes which have salt in them. If you use an unsalted type, add salt to the oil and bay leaf in step one). Keep this broth warm.

Heat (low-medium) olive oil with bay leaves in a high-sided, heavy-weight, large pan. Grind with mortal and pestal (food processor) the rosemary and thyme leaf with a little pinch of salt for gristle. Add chopped onion to hot oil and let sizzle to a pale or translucent nature and then add the garlic. Don't let the garlic brown. Add uncooked rice, basil and cilantro to pan and sautee for a couple of minutes. Stir the drying mix often, the rice should start to sound different - like beads against the metal of the pan.

Add 1/3 of the broth (a cup in this recipe). Stir the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed. Add the next cup and repeat, and repeat again with the last of the broth, but don't let it all soak up. Ideally, you want the cooked rice to ooze on the plate, rather than stand in a heap.

Serves 3 as a main dish.

*** I don't add wine to my risotto or cheese. Were you to add wine: add a cup of dry white wine before the first cup of broth. If you were to add cheese, mix in a large handlful of shredded pecorino romano after the last cup of broth is nearly absorbed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,558 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:03 pm
And you thought you couldn't write a recipe...Wink The advice about using wine is spot on....I would have said the same thing.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 12:30 pm
Mrs Oak makes a very nice Risotto. She makes it slightly different every time cos she lost the recipe. Nothing new in that neck of the woods. So dinner in our house is a bit of a magical mystery tour.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:14 am
Yum, littlek, that does sound good! Very Happy
Jusy one question: Is there any special reason for the dried cilantro/coriander? Does the taste suit the recipe better than the fresh variety? Or maybe it's for convenience? - fresh is not always possible to get.

Thanks, I'll try it! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:46 am
Cilantro is an her that goes bad FAST, is hard to dry myself and is not reliably found in my grocery store. There's no reason not to use fresh cilantro/coriander.

Thanks all. Should I list all the risotto recipes here? Or start new threads?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:19 am
Almond risotto

1 bay leaf
1 sprig of rosemary (2" long)

2/3 to 3/4 C almond meal (I process almonds in a little coffee grinder)

olive oil: more than a 1/2 C
One small onion: chopped
2-3 garlic cloves: minced
1 C Arborio rice
3 C Vegetable broth (I use boullion cubes which have salt in them. If you use an unsalted type, add salt to the oil and bay leaf in step one). Keep this broth warm.

Heat (low-medium) olive oil with bay leaf in a high-sided, heavy-weight, large pan. Add chopped onion to hot oil and let sizzle to a pale or translucent nature and then add the garlic. Don't let the garlic brown. Add uncooked rice to pan and sautee for a minute. Stir the drying mix often. Add almond meal and mix for a minute. The rice should start to sound different - like beads against the metal of the pan.

Add 1/3 of the broth (a cup in this recipe). Stir the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed. Add the next cup and repeat, and repeat again with the last of the broth, but don't let it all soak up. Ideally, you want the cooked rice to ooze on the plate, rather than stand in a heap.

Serves 3 as a main dish.

*** I don't add wine to my risotto or cheese. Were you to add wine: add a cup of dry white wine before the first cup of broth. If you were to add cheese, mix in a large handlful of shredded pecorino romano after the last cup of broth is nearly absorbed.
0 Replies