The 25 greatest cars of all time

noinipo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
This should start a free-for-all that will never end.
The 25 greatest cars of all time
Automobile Magazine unveiled in its September 2007 issue its list of the "25 Greatest Cars of All Time."
"This feature is certain to get people talking at water coolers, kitchens, garages and bars," said Gavin Conway, editor in chief of Automobile.
After assembling "the best brains the magazine has," Conway said that the final list is "as intriguing as it is eclectic." He added that rather than looking at numbers and statistics, the editorial team evaluated cars from the perspective of drivability, aesthetics and historical significance. Conway said, "The results are predictable in part, but intriguing in their breadth." While the Jaguar E-type makes an appearance, so does the 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen, a car with considerably less renown.
The winners, which cover both the 19th and 20th centuries, break down into five segments:
Driving Enthusiast Cars: BMW (E30) M3, Ferrari F430, Lotus Elan, Porsche 911 Carrera RS and Volkswagen Rabbit GTI.
Technologically Innovative Cars: Audi Quattro, Benz Patent Motorwagen, Citroen Traction Avant, BMC Mini and Bugatti Veyron 16.4

Supercars: McLaren F1, Lamborghini Miura, Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Ferrari F40 and Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B

Racing Cars: Lotus 49, Auto Union, Miller 91, Porsche 917 and Dodge Charger Daytona

Icons: Military Jeep, Volkswagen Beetle, Chevrolet Corvette, Jaguar E-Type and Ford Model T.
http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070814.wh-automag25-0814/GAStory/specialGlobeAuto/

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/2007_all_stars/0702_2007_volkswagen_gti/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,588 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:08 pm
Will check this out...

It seems a little biased on the later end of spectrum, but that would make sense, as to some extent, cars got better...
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:46 pm
The Italians impress me with their designers.......and good old Ferdinand Porsche had flair too. In the dying days of WW2 Hitler was dreaming of a super weapon that could save his sorry ass. He asked Porsche to design a tank the size of an apartment block.
After Ferdinand asked for time to come up with that miracle tank, he went home and laughed for an hour. Then he waited for the madman to kill himself, which happened a few days later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:53 pm
I saw an italian car show in Pasadena in the early eighties, with lots of the oldies. I wish I'd gotten some data list from that... mostly what I remember is how beautiful they were. (I'm quite stupid about the technology).
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:10 pm
The 1959 Volkswagon transporter http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/VW_Type2_T1c_Kombi.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:49 pm
Lada Samara 1986, developed and sold within the former Soviet block

http://www.autosoldalak.hu/sajat_oldalak/fotok/GG/GG070020_1.jpg

Perhaps not the most efficient car.... but certainly the most entertaining one we had. Lots of family bonding around that one. First thing to fall off was the rear view mirror. Then it was the door. Yes, the whole door fell out when my poor mother tried to get in. Radio was stolen at least five times, as it was real easy to get in. It wouldn't run when it was too cold (had to push).... It wouldn't run when it was too hot (also had to push)...but god, did we love that dreadful thing!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:52 pm
Man, whata crappy car.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:14 pm
Hey, but it drew attention. Just after the Curtain fell, we drove across Austria and Germany to Amsterdam. The first trip to the WEST for me... We were quite an attraction on the highways. The car was robbed and fell apart in Amsterdam. We literally had to duct tape it together. Luckily it's built for that, so the trip home was no problem.
0 Replies