colin leslie dean meaninglessness is powerful stuff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:12 am
yup. You hit the nail right on the head.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
colin leslie dean has done what no man in the history of humanity has done
colin leslie dean has done what no god has been able to do
colin leslie dean has got rid of death in the world
colin leslie dean has chased the grim reaper out of the universe
you now have two choices
believe in death still - but why would one want to believe in that
or now feel free of the fear of death
colin leslie deans meaninglessness is powerful stuff -it has rid the universe of death
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Have you taken your medication today?
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
Quote:
Have you taken your medication today?

unless you can tell us what life is-and no one has been able to do that
then deans achievment must stand-the end of death
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:25 pm
Re: How can you talk of death when no one knows what life is
nightrider wrote:
How can you say some one is dead- lacks life- when no one knows what life is

This works on paper... right up until the moment when someone you love dies.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:26 pm
who is colin dean?

male or female?

profession?

educational background?

(these questions have been keeping me awake every night)
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:30 pm
Quote:
who is colin dean?

male or female?

profession?

educational background?

(these questions have been keeping me awake every night)

from the net
he is male
an erotic poet /philosopher
has 9 degrees including 4 master degrees
in many leading university library ie yale harvard etc
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:31 pm
nightrider wrote:
then deans achievment must stand-the end of death

An "if-then" proposition, huh? I thought analytical philosophy was meaningless.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:37 pm
Quote:
An "if-then" proposition, huh? I thought analytical philosophy was meaningless.

it is meaningless bilge
so tell us what does analytical philosophy say life is -or can it only tell us semantically not ontologically
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:45 pm
nightrider wrote:
it is meaningless bilge

If it is meaningless bilge, then why do you rely on it so frequently? You're so intent on demonstrating that everything necessarily leads to meaninglessness, never recognizing that that very necessity is only possible via the logic you're trying to discredit.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:08 pm
Quote:
everything necessarily leads to meaninglessness, never recognizing that that very necessity is only possible via the logic you're trying to discredit.

meaninglessness come from the very logic you think is an epistemic condition
dean only uses your logic to show your logic ends in meaninglesness
so long us you use language and logic your views wikll end in meaninglessness
but
to get back to the post
tell us what AP says life is - you see the really important questions are just to big for AP which twaddles around with trite- all very safe you want be shot for any AP philosophies
if you cant then deans achievments stands
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:14 pm
nightrider wrote:
dean only uses your logic to show your logic ends in meaninglesness
so long us you use language and logic your views wikll end in meaninglessness

Hmm... Dean uses logic to show that using logic is meaningless, which is to say that Dean is debunking his own method. Rest assured that everyone here is in hearty agreement with that.

Quote:
tell us what AP says life is - you see the really important questions are just to big for AP which twaddles around with trite-

Oxygen and water don't have anything to say about life either, but if you would like to consider either of them twaddling trite, go right ahead. It won't stop you from using them, just as the belief that logic is bilge hasn't stopped you from relying on it either.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:37 pm
Quote:
It won't stop you from using them, just as the belief that logic is bilge hasn't stopped you from being reliant on it either.

i am only useing YOUR logic against you
all i say is logic by its own standards is itself meaningless - i just point these thing out to the uses of these epistemics

so water is a live and the o2 in the test tube is alive -that means the o2 in a decaying body makes it alive -soyou agree with dean death is eradicated from the universe
thanks for agreeing
gee AP is wonderful stuff
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:52 pm
nightrider wrote:
i am only useing YOUR logic against you

No, Dean, you're not. You're also using it in support of yourself. You wrote:

Quote:
then deans achievment must stand

which is a conditional proposition. If you're really rejecting logic, then it does not follow (since you purport not to believe in "following") that Dean is correct about death if we cannot define life.

Calling it "my" logic ain't gonna help, either. You're trying to show that I'm contradicting myself, but you adamantly hold to the belief that contradictions are not a deterrent to truth. If you want to reject logic, then you're going to have to give up the belief that contradictions are problematic, in which case you have no grounds for disagreeing with me in the first place.

You've put yourself in a pretty tough spot, Dean... you want to do away with the notion of proof but you also want to prove yourself right. Fortunately, the consequences of your theory are so trivial that it won't ever matter.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:10 pm
Quote:
Calling it "my" logic ain't gonna help, either. You're trying to show that I'm contradicting myself, but you adamantly hold to the belief that contradictions are not a deterrent to truth. If you want to reject logic, then you're going to have to give up the belief that contradictions are problematic, in which case you have no grounds for disagreeing with me in the first place.

contradictions are problemetical for YOU for in your system any thing that contradicts it self cant be true-dean just points this out to you

Quote:
which is a conditional proposition. If you're really rejecting logic, then it does not follow (since you purport not to believe in "following") that Dean is correct about death if we cannot define life.

i am not saying dean is correct about death and either is dean
he is just showing in your logic that if you cant tell us what life is then you cant say any one is dead-it is YOUR logic he is ramming down your throat

so once again
put up or shut up
either you tell us what life is or
deans conclusion from your logic is you cant tell us if any one is dead thus death has been eradicated-in terms of YOUR logic
is that cleare for an APt
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:52 am
nightrider wrote:
deans conclusion from your logic is you cant tell us if any one is dead thus death has been eradicated-in terms of YOUR logic

What a bunch of semantic gymnastics. You want to debunk logic on the grounds that it cannot explain life. Do you also reject penicillin because it can't fix your carburetor? What your "achievement" amounts to is that you've shown us that there are some things we know through means other than propositional logic. Congratulations--people have known that for centuries.

Like any metaphysicist, you happily posit anything you want because you don't deign to test your claims against reality. It's what makes people like Dean beautifully appealing and utterly inconsequential. There are those who believe the universe is some alien's science experiment, or that our entire lives are really dreams. Your claims have exactly as much validity, and exactly as much utility, and I predict Dean will have exactly as much impact on intellectual life at large.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
put up or shut up
deans conclusion from your logic is you cant tell us if any one is dead thus
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:39 pm
nightrider wrote:
deans conclusion from your logic is you cant tell us if any one is dead thus

Why not test your theory, Dean? Your conclusion from our logic is that we can't tell if someone is dead. To see if your conclusion is correct, shoot someone in the head, and then poll 10 random people to see if they can tell if that someone is dead or not. You might be surprised at the accuracy of the results.
0 Replies

nightrider

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:56 pm
looks like Analytical philosophy cant tell us what life is -another example of its basic uselessness- apart from its meaninglessness- for anything really important that concerns humanity-just for safe little nerds in their cushy universities back slapping each other
0 Replies