Define the difference between instinct and innate knowledge

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:45 pm
You've never had innate knowledge of a relationship before?
Or just followed your instinct when it comes to marriage?

I must have misunderstood the word "axiomatic",
especially as used by my insane girlfriend with a hatchet.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 08:46 am
I found her kind of dull;
u were refering 2 Lizzy Boredom?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:09 am
Redhorn

I'd like to revive this thread if I may offer an opinion. We are born with a certain number of brain cells (neurons) No one seems to know if its in the realm of 10 billion of 100 billion----no matter. We are also born with a certain number of instincts---the most important of which is to survive.

There is no innate knowledge because to imply that there is would be to say that we are born with some memory because that is all knowledge is---memory of some experience. So I must believe that we start with a blank slate. But now comes the most interesting part. We have a genetic template that determines the amount of CURIOSITY. It is the amount of curiosity that will determine how far your intellect will develop because it determines how interested you are in your surroundings. This applies to animals as well as humans. Another reason I say this is because of the fact that every person with a very high IQ have one thing in common---an insatiable curiosity.

So IMO we are born with a certain amount of curiosity which is determined by the genetic template----we are born with certain instincts(mostly unknown). It is the level of curiosity which will determine how quickly we gain knowledge.

Anyone agree?
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:34 am
The development of mathematics and language is innate!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:25 pm
Redhorn

I disagree and I don't believe you can prove to be so. It is more like the last couple of sentences from your link:

Quote: It has been said that 'Nature has not given knowledge, but the seeds of knowledge.' From the above argument, a more accurate analogy would be 'Nature has not given the seeds of knowledge, but an area of fertile soil, and instructions on how to grow it.' Except cross out --"the instructions on how to grow it. Just say "Nature has given an area of fertile soil" Period

Most of us are given all the tools to gain the knowledge required for mathematics and language and this can begin at a very early age but innate at birth no. I don't think so!
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:09 pm
Prove it!
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:17 pm
Pie is I R squared.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:19 pm
Interesting! Cool
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:52 pm
Nah----you prove it's not true Very Happy
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:56 pm
There are automatic brain functions existing within our brain that easily enable us to start verbalizing whether it be in non verbal hand signals or talking. The ability to organize and divide things into increments was a brain process in which produced the field of mathematics!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 05:16 am
Redhorn

Is this your proof? Just because you say it is so, does not make it so.

It could be explained this way---after birth the brain immediately begins the process of making the billions of connections necessary for survival. The brain immediately becomes aware of the need to communicate to get food and to orgainize effort to survive. This initial burst of brain connections is complete by age 3. What you are saying is innate--is merely the blazing burst of connections the brain is capable of for survival. Those that continue making connections in the field of mathematics become the physicists of the world. This is my opinion ----I can't prove it either.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:41 pm
Funny thing, If you look it up it can be proven even though your theory has more of a logical basis!
0 Replies

chaiyah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:07 am
Instinct Versus Innate Knowledge
Instinct is in the endocrine glands: estrus is an instinct. Hunger is an instinct. Thirst is an instinct.

Innate knowledge is carried in the DNA--in the cells's hereditary component. This is why twins have innate knowledge of each other's habits, because they share the same dna, even if they are not sharing the same physiological stasis.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:09 am
Hey Red, I forgot to ask...did you look at those Chomsky links?
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 02:10 pm
What chomsky links!
0 Replies

Santuzza

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 04:25 pm
Innate ~ knowing without definition or experience. A sense.

Instinct ~ natures' survival skills.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 06:53 pm
sounds reasonable!
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:59 pm
Well, when die neither do us much good, so in a way they are similar.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 08:02 pm
What?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:18 pm
chaiyah;

been a while Laughing

i would say oestrus, hunger, and thirst are physiological states; and, what the animal does about each is guided by instinct, or specific 'hardwiring' in the brain reinforced by eons of genetic success.
The instinct simply "says" mate, eat, or drink; then there is also a 'learned' component of how to go about satisfying the various appetites, which comes from familial training, and/or experience.

Instinct is not 'in' the dna, it is in the brain mass, the growth of which has been directed by the dna.

While i would not say i was totally disagreeing with you, sometimes the 'truth' is in the details!
0 Replies