Films on Race Relations

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
The sneeches are probably for a younger set than those I'll be teaching.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
Acutally Gus - I gave you the wrong contact. The one I gave you is an overdose victim - the real contact is Sylvester McMonkey McBean.

Here he is supplying the needy.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JD9ZR7NZL._SS400_.jpg
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:25 pm
littlek wrote:
Quote:
Quick. Pop quiz. And no cheating. No Googling. No calling the NAACP.

Are there more black men in college or in jail?

Janks Morton, a new movie director, is willing to bet you got the wrong answer. You who have been fed negative images of black men for so many years.

Although he thinks the very nature of the question is an "abomination," he wonders: Would that same question be asked so often of any other race in America? The very premise of the question, he says, leads to faulty science. But the question is insidious, like the images that have seeped into the public psyche so deep that many black people themselves don't get the answer right.

To spoil the results, there are more Black men in college than in jail. I would have guessed this, but I was shocked to see that the numbers were close!

How many of the blacks in jail are also enrolled in community college courses?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
Linkat wrote:
Also, because in Germany, during Hilter's rein he, they would use eye color to determine who would be killed and who would not be killed.

Yikes! Didn't Hilter know that many Jews are blue eyed?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:44 pm
You wouldn't happen to have anything of interest to add related to the premise of this thread, would you Miller?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:57 pm
Miller wrote:

How many of the blacks in jail are also enrolled in community college courses?

How many of the 'whites' in jail are also enrolled in community college courses?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
What the hell does this matter for?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:05 pm
I have no idea. Waiting for Miller to tell us.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:43 pm
Amigo - which?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:00 pm
I'd suggest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Victory
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:11 pm
Thanks Blaise, that does look interesting.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:20 pm
You're quite welcome.

I don't know how appropriate this is for elementary kids, it's been quite some time since I've seen it, but I offer up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_Man_(film)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:32 pm
Isn't THAT one interesting!!!
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 11:06 pm
Yes. Our Mr. Van Peebles strikes again.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 02:59 pm
A powerful film about a man who, during the occupation, exploits the suffering French Jews and eventually makes a grand decision.
Mr. Klein (1975)
Also known as : "Monsieur Klein".
Alain Delon stars as the eponymous protagonist in Joseph Losey's first French film, MR. KLEIN. Living a posh life amid the chaos and turmoil of Nazi-occupied Paris, Mr. Klein makes his living buying art at cutthroat rates from desperate Jews fleeing the country. When a Jewish newspaper is mistakenly addressed to him, Klein learns of the existence of another, Jewish Mr. Klein. Klein reports the irregularity to the police, only to find himself further implicated in intrigue and danger. Embarking on a desperate search for his namesake, Klein visits his apartment and intercepts a secret invitation, bringing him into contact with the other Klein's world--and lover (played by Jeanne Moreau). Sinking into a paranoid fervor, Klein becomes a detective, searching for any evidence of the other Klein's whereabouts. As the Nazis close in and his double continues to elude him, the very name Mr. Klein, echoing sinisterly throughout the film, becomes a talisman of fear and panicked guilt. The secret societies and poisoned atmosphere of Vichy France come to life as Mr. Klein's Kafkaesque nightmare leads him unwittingly into a startled appreciation of the plight of the persecuted. Losey's restrained direction matched with Delon's emotive presence combine to create a powerful psychological and moral thriller.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mr_klein/about.php
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:51 pm
eoe wrote:
"Eyes on the Prize". Excellent choice.

Thats the first one I thought of too - excellent serious introduction. Mind you, we were shown it as university students - not as 10 year olds :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:57 pm
littlek wrote:
Spike Lee never did it for me so much. I should give them a fair shake.

I'm admittedly a big Spike Lee fan..

But if one reason you think his films are a bit much is the whole race riot angle of Do The Right Thing (or cops vs hood perspective of Clockers or the like), then a good alternative should be Get On The Bus. Serious and reflective thought-provoking stuff. (Though again more something for 16 year olds than 10 year olds probably).

(On an aside re Thomas, I loved Boyz N The Hood too..)
0 Replies

Sleidia

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 05:45 am
I would recommend

The War
( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111667/ )

because main characters are black and white kids who live in quite a racist environment and learn a few things about life.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 03:07 am
just about anything from noman jewison, "the heat of the night", "hurricane," but he's canadian so what does he know? Rolling Eyes

then there's jules dessan's "black like me." a film banned in several cities in the south in the early '60's
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 06:43 am
After seeing part of this film on TV, I am eager to see it in a theatre. It is so intense.
La Haine. The film that predicted the French riots.
Nov. 11, 2005,
Mathieu Kassovitz's acclaimed 1995 film La Haine (Hate), which examines the lives of three young men from a housing project outside Paris, begins with its narrator telling the old joke about a guy who, falling from a tall building, repeats to himself, "So far so good … so far so good." The joke refers to the explosive conditions that were building in France's suburban housing projects at the time.
http://www.slate.com/id/2130073
0 Replies