Bad Chemistry -- Couples Who Were Unconvincing

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:15 pm
A BBC pole revealed these screen couples with a romance that was implausible. In other words, the chemistry of mixing oil with water.
The one I think is "duh, I missed the point," is Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in "Eyes Wide Shut." The major idea in the film is that they are a married couple whose chemistry has taken not just a strange mix but a dive over the cliff. The strange irony is that is exactly what happened in real life. Perhaps Kubrick coaxed out of them in performing together the transitory wash-out in their own relationship?

Star Wars duo 'least convincing'
Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen
The pair played Senator Padme Amidala and Anakin Skywalker
Star Wars couple Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen have been voted as having the least plausible on-screen chemistry by film fans.

The pair beat Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez for their performance in Gigli into second place, which was made when they were a real life couple.

Former duo Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman also made the list with Eyes Wide Shut.

British pairing Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom were thought "too stiff upper lip" in Pirates of the Caribbean.

The 3,000 movie-goers who were surveyed for Pearl and Dean said their screen relationship was punctuated with too much old-fashioned romance and "not enough lust".

LEAST CONVINCING SCREEN PARTNERSHIPS
1 Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
2 Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez - Gigli
3 Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom - Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
4 Madonna and Adriano Giannini - Swept Away
5 Catherine Zeta Jones and Sir Sean Connery - Entrapment
Source: Pearl and Dean

Catherine Zeta Jones and Sir Sean Connery's performance opposite one another in 1999's Entrapment landed in fifth place.

There was a 39-year age difference between the couple.

Affleck landed inside the top 10 for a second time, with his chemistry with Kate Beckinsale in Pearl Harbor failing to convince audiences.

Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell's relationship in romantic comedy Four Weddings and A Funeral finished sixth in the list.

The gay romance between Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain was more convincing, with only 5% of respondents saying it failed to win them over.

Madonna also featured highly in the poll, with her dramatic relationship with Italian actor Adriano Giannini in Swept Away not managing to draw in viewers.

The pop star made the 2002 film with director husband Guy Richie, with the release proving to be a box office flop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,678 • Replies: 17
No top replies

happycat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
Regarding Madonna - she can't act. There is nothing genuine about the woman and it shows on the screen.
The same with Ben Affleck. He has no personality, so if you pair him with JLo, who can't act, then you get a big nothing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:29 pm
Madonna was great with no script and just singing in "Evita," portraying a convincing Eva Peron, but can't think of one other film I was drawn to the character she was playing. I think Ben needs to loose more of the boyish charm that only shows that he is young and get a meaty part of an older man. It might be in him.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
Quote:
Catherine Zeta Jones and Sir Sean Connery's performance opposite one another in 1999's Entrapment landed in fifth place.

Well, that's no excuse. Remember in White Palace when Susan Sarandon
was having an affair with young James Spader - they had great
chemistry together despite their age difference.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:02 pm
Well, 24 years difference in age is not quite the same but it wasn't just the age difference. The script for "Entrapment" was not developing any characterization whatsoever except what was required for an action flick, so the chemistry was dead out of the gate. "Mr. and Mrs. Jones" out of the same genrea was more on target and look what happened there.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:10 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:

Susan Sarandon could have chemistry with a cartoon character. She's Susan Sarandon! Cool :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:55 pm
I just watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I wasn't feeling the chemistry between the leads at all. I think John Corbett is cute and often plays sweet characters, but he's missing some warmth or something.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:01 pm
Yes happycat, Susan Sarandon is an actress who knows her craft very
well. Doesn't happen too often these days with the younger ones...

Littlek, I thought they did have chemistry, that's what made the movie
so cute in the first place.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:05 pm
I think the whole greek family had chemistry, in a family way.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:13 pm
The Greeks all do. We had a Greek intern once, so charming, what a dish!
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:50 pm
My ultimate unconvincing couple - Joan Allen as John Travolta's wife in Face Off.
It wasn't that big of a part, but I just never got it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:02 pm
Harrison Ford and Anne Heche in that stinker they did together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:04 pm
Dirk Bogarde and Capucine, but that was years ago...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:58 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:

That's 'cause Spader gives off that debauchery vibe so well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:49 am
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:08 am
Re: Bad Chemistry -- Couples Who Were Unconvincing
Lightwizard wrote:
A
British pairing Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom were thought "too stiff upper lip" in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I highly agree with this one - I always thought there was more romantic chemistry between Keira Knightley and Johnny Depp.

Most of these movies I haven't even seen - are they also bad movies as a result or perhaps both.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:19 am
I can't find where I stated that but in the midst of those fantasy action adventure movies, there isn't a lot of room for romance. It makes it difficult to take seriously. All three films would work as animated.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:11 pm
Yep, I was expecting Affleck to be a regular on the list. Also the role he had with Liv Tyler. Yuch.
0 Replies