A "Hints for Happier Living" Digression.

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:48 pm
we use em for bait to catch groundfish . They are about 6" long abd have aseries of biting mouth parts that can give a pinch.

At least we dont have funnel webs and tai pans and box jellyfish and cone shells. We can handle anything over here and usually make a decent sammich out of it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
we use em for bait to catch groundfish . They are about 6" long abd have aseries of biting mouth parts that can give a pinch.

At least we dont have funnel webs and tai pans and box jellyfish and cone shells. We can handle anything over here and usually make a decent sammich out of it.

You have GRIZZLY BEARS, and bears generally, and rattle snakes, and black widows, and those other weird speiders, and pumas and billions of homicidal maniacs with guns, and president bush.

I rest my case.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
how many people has President Bush bitten and envenomated them with neurotoxins?

Besides that one incident in Texas a couple years ago. Anyway, we love our president , as well as the other homicidal maniacs..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:09 pm
farmerman wrote:
how many people has President Bush bitten and envenomated them with neurotoxins?

Besides that one incident in Texas a couple years ago. Anyway, we love our president , as well as the other homicidal maniacs..

Well, I have never met any of the creatures you animadvert upon neither.

I HAVE accidentally picked up a huge brown snake, and a red back, but they both just looked shocked, and let me put them down gently.

Not at the same time.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:24 pm
dlowan wrote:

lezzles wrote:
Yep, they don't come any wiser or deeper!

What about the mastiff women?

I know it's going back a bit now, but I could not let this go unanswered.

As a still grieving mother of a long departed beagle I feel justified in saying - What else is a beagle if not a very cleverly disguised mastiff?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:36 pm
It's important to know what to wear when walking in the deep woods of America. One should always carry pepper spray and tie some small bells to one's shoes in order to alert the wildlife to your presence.

You should learn to differentiate between the scat of brown bears and the scat of the Grizzly. Brown bear scat is smaller and contains mostly pieces of nut shells and sometimes matted grass.

Grizzly bear scat is much larger, darker and smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it.

Joe(Look, Ed, it's a little baby bear cub. What a cuddly little be.... .)Nation
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:37 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:59 pm
((((lezzles))))

Gracie sends a lick and a "Ruff."

Anyone else still wondering why farmerman needs bait for ground fish?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:03 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
It's important to know what to wear when walking in the deep woods of America. One should always carry pepper spray and tie some small bells to one's shoes in order to alert the wildlife to your presence.

You should learn to differentiate between the scat of brown bears and the scat of the Grizzly. Brown bear scat is smaller and contains mostly pieces of nut shells and sometimes matted grass.

Grizzly bear scat is much larger, darker and smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it.

<Snicker> (no NOT Snickers TM)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:26 pm
farmerman wrote:

Most people here have never seen any of these critters. I've seen the snakes (not taipans) and the funnel webs.

Think US is scarier, though! More guns and people ready to use them!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:44 pm
You want a critter story?

When I lived in Kenya I would go down to Mombasa for a break every now and then. I knew this guy who ran a glass-bottomed boat tour of the reef, and for the price of a slab of Aussie beer I was always welcome on board. We had been exploring the reef and it was time to head back to shore. I was swimming back to the boat and realised two things - 1: I was the last one back and 2: everyone was leaning over the side of the boat urging me on. As I reached the ladder, helping hands came from everywhere and pulled me on board. My friend told me I had had a rather large coral snake swimming at my shoulder all the way from the reef to the boat. He didn't want to warn me because if I knew I might give off panic vibes which could trigger an attack.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:28 pm
lezzles wrote:
dlowan wrote:

lezzles wrote:
Yep, they don't come any wiser or deeper!

What about the mastiff women?

I know it's going back a bit now, but I could not let this go unanswered.

As a still grieving mother of a long departed beagle I feel justified in saying - What else is a beagle if not a very cleverly disguised mastiff?

A medium sized hound with slabs of colour, representatives of which have twice, and utterly without warning, gone for my throat when I ws sitting calmly beside them, stroking them gently, as I had been doing for the previous 30 minutes or so, with them showing every sign of enjoyment and happiness (one had just snuggled itself upon my lap, nearly gone to sleep, and suddenly lunged, very ferociously, at my throat.)?

I view them with great suspicion since then. Damnedest things that have ever happened to me with any animal...and the only animals that have ever attacked me. (Except one that had attacked numerous children, and which bit me because I accidentally startled it....)

Joe Nation wrote:

See? Our bears are cute!

squinney wrote:
((((lezzles))))

Gracie sends a lick and a "Ruff."

Anyone else still wondering why farmerman needs bait for ground fish?

With Farmerman, you just go with the flow.

margo wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Most people here have never seen any of these critters. I've seen the snakes (not taipans) and the funnel webs.

Think US is scarier, though! More guns and people ready to use them!

That's what I said!

Only with more words!!!!

lezzles wrote:
You want a critter story?

When I lived in Kenya I would go down to Mombasa for a break every now and then. I knew this guy who ran a glass-bottomed boat tour of the reef, and for the price of a slab of Aussie beer I was always welcome on board. We had been exploring the reef and it was time to head back to shore. I was swimming back to the boat and realised two things - 1: I was the last one back and 2: everyone was leaning over the side of the boat urging me on. As I reached the ladder, helping hands came from everywhere and pulled me on board. My friend told me I had had a rather large coral snake swimming at my shoulder all the way from the reef to the boat. He didn't want to warn me because if I knew I might give off panic vibes which could trigger an attack.

Don't coral snakes ever just want a little cuddle?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:49 am
Setanta wrote:
Never eat anything bigger than your head. (I disremember whose advice that was.)

Similar to Miss Piggy's advice: Never eat more than you can lift!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:30 am
As Bill Bryson said "In a Sunburned Country", and I paraphrase of course,

"What the Australians have become accustomed to is that almost anything in that country can kill you with large gobs of toxc venom"

Jeez Louize squinney, a GROUNDFISH is just a group name for xcod and halibut, pollock etc. These are deep marine bottom feeders.

GRIZZLY BEARs are overrated asa danger. Over 90% of the American acreage DOES NOT contain grizzly bears. SO, when walking or hiking in the other 10%, its good to go in larger groups and make lots of noise. A 50 calibre doesnt hurt either.

Black bears can be more a problem because theyve been suburbanized and will stalk you (especially if youre carrying a SNickers bar, they love Snickers bars). SO there may be a lesson in that.

But, we dont have to worry about bears hiding in our shoes and dosing us with a lethal jolt of poison.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:15 am
msolga wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Never eat anything bigger than your head. (I disremember whose advice that was.)

Similar to Miss Piggy's advice: Never eat more than you can lift!

And, contrarywise, never lift more than you can eat.

farmerman wrote:
As Bill Bryson said "In a Sunburned Country", and I paraphrase of course,

"What the Australians have become accustomed to is that almost anything in that country can kill you with large gobs of toxc venom"

Jeez Louize squinney, a GROUNDFISH is just a group name for xcod and halibut, pollock etc. These are deep marine bottom feeders.

GRIZZLY BEARs are overrated asa danger. Over 90% of the American acreage DOES NOT contain grizzly bears. SO, when walking or hiking in the other 10%, its good to go in larger groups and make lots of noise. A 50 calibre doesnt hurt either.

Black bears can be more a problem because theyve been suburbanized and will stalk you (especially if youre carrying a SNickers bar, they love Snickers bars). SO there may be a lesson in that.

But, we dont have to worry about bears hiding in our shoes and dosing us with a lethal jolt of poison.

Listen, rural doofus person, the poisonous critters in Oz generally keep quietly and decently to themselves (except the male funnelweb on the prowl, and white tail spiders, which have a penchant for laundry...but nobody knows if they are really venemous, or an urban myth)....

They don't rampage into your tent at night, and dismember you and eat you (except the odd crocodile, whom you don't camp near, and at least they drown you first) or drive by and shoot you randomly.

They have a "we don't shoot first" policy (the Ozzian poisonous critters).....the whole dangerous fauna thing is a beat up.

Youse Americans are wusses.

Letting a few little (mainly outback) critters make you all toey.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:28 am
When you go sparring in the ring, ALWAYS remember to take your nose ring out beforehand.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:02 pm
Oh, yeah! Nipple rings, too. Don't forget those! Crying or Very sad

(Snicker - I made farmerman say "Jeez Louise,squinney!" No one has said to me in a long time. Brought back memories.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:57 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe bubbele, Grizzly bears are brown bears. I think Mr. Nation meant to compare grizzlies to black bears, the smaller member of the U.S. ursine clan.

And--on topic--if you don't want to know how you look in something, don't ask me.

Msolag, if somebody serves me slop, I won't eat it. I won't say something unkind. I'll just eat around it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:07 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
When you go sparring in the ring, ALWAYS remember to take your nose ring out beforehand.

Ow, yes.....and earrings?

squinney wrote:
Oh, yeah! Nipple rings, too. Don't forget those! Crying or Very sad

(Snicker - I made farmerman say "Jeez Louise,squinney!" No one has said to me in a long time. Brought back memories.)

Nipple rings............eeeeeek.

Roberta wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe bubbele, Grizzly bears are brown bears. I think Mr. Nation meant to compare grizzlies to black bears, the smaller member of the U.S. ursine clan.

And--on topic--if you don't want to know how you look in something, don't ask me.

Msolag, if somebody serves me slop, I won't eat it. I won't say something unkind. I'll just eat around it.

Yay! A woman with gonads!

You must have, you called Msolga Msolag>....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:45 pm
Saw the mistake too late. You already posted, deb.

Maybe she'll forgive me.

msolga, forgive me. Anybody can make a typo. Shoulda proofread, but didn't. Can I play on your sympathies and say that I'm having an especially bad day? I am. (Don't ask.) Mea culpa.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 09:35:41