Best and Worst Tourist Attractions

Roberta

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 03:57 pm
The Louvre was a disappointment? THE LOUVRE? Okey dokey. I went there four times in the ten days I was in Paris. A disappointment? Not to me.

Re Times Square, I never understood why a street was of interest to anybody. But I'm a jaded Noo Yawker who has seen this street hundreds of times. Yawn.

Re the Statue of Liberty, Seeing it by boat from the harbor made me think of the millions of immigrants who saw it when they arrived here. Thought about what they thought about. I found it moving. On the other hand, going up in it was not a treat. It roused two phobias--fear of heights and fear of small places. Who knew?

The Eiffel Tower was eh. A great symbol, but not much to look at.

A big disappointment to me was the Fountain of Trevi in Rome. It's stuck on the back of a building. Not what I pictured. I threw in my coins and made my wishes anyway.
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:00 pm
here you go c.i. :
DRIVING TO ELLA'S

we've always found it's best to go when there is a crowd waiting to get in .
you may have to wait 30-40 minutes , but you know the food is fresh - at least that's what we've always found .
we've only be there in march and november - maybe it's not as good during the tourist season .
we always order BROILED , never fried - gladly pay the extra buck !
as far as the wait staff goes , we've usually found that if we are friendly to them , realize that at times they are under pressure , not made unresonable demands , they'll look after us .
(of course , leaving a good tip the first time usually assures good service on subsequent visits - and a few nice words while ordering , such as : "came all the way from canada :wink: for ella's seafood " , goes a long way to get good service ) .
hbg(it's really cruel of you to get me salivating AGAIN - have you no mercy ?)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:02 pm
There seems to be nobody complaining about the Hofbraeuhaus - good or bad! Laughing
0 Replies

Shapeless

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:07 pm
I agree with Linkat about expectations. I don't actively dislike Times Square (from a certain level of abstraction I even find the area beautiful, especially at night), but I've never thought of it as a "tourist attraction." So to out-of-towners coming to New York thinking that Times Square is an attraction, I can see how it would be disappointing.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 17 Aug, 2007 05:35 pm
Shapeless wrote:
I agree with Linkat about expectations. I don't actively dislike Times Square (from a certain level of abstraction I even find the area beautiful, especially at night), but I've never thought of it as a "tourist attraction." So to out-of-towners coming to New York thinking that Times Square is an attraction, I can see how it would be disappointing.

They've cleaned up Times Square quite abit. It used to have real "flavor". Laughing
0 Replies

Shapeless

Sat 18 Aug, 2007 12:11 pm
The good ol' days:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/broadway/hello/images/42nd_pic5.jpg

http://shoutingthomas.typepad.com/photos/new_york_city/peeplarge.gif

http://web.pcu.net/jalexand/gallery/us/nyc/00754.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:39 pm
One of my biggest letdown was my first visit to Paris. It was in the late fifties, and by then I had heard so much about the City of Light. But once there, we really didn't see all that much that was supposed to be so chic and sophisticated.

The only thing that has stuck with me from that first visit was when I ordered my steak well done, it came back medium rare. Been ordering steaks medium rare ever since. Our mother cooked steaks until they were over done.

My subsequent visits to Paris has been much more fulfilling, because of the different districts, the museums, using the Metro, and being more familiar with Paris.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
Shapeless wrote:

That was my thought when I saw it for the first time - what's the big deal!
0 Replies

roger

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 12:05 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Not exactly in the same class with the Eiffel Tower, "South of the Border" is a hotel, restaurant and junkshop complex on route 95. It is halfway between the northeast of the US and Florida, so is a tourist spot for snowbirds. For a few hundred miles, "S.O.B." has billboards practically every mile proclaiming its existence. Yeech!

It is DEFINITELY one of the world's worst!

http://www.pedroland.com/

Oh c'mon! Pedro's Arsenal is known as a destination all over the South. For really awesome, you should visit the Four Corners Monument in - now get this - NM, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. The sensation of seeing the actual four lines, which most of us thought were imaginary, leaves many people speechless.
Miller

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:05 am
Quote:
TOP TEN BEST GLOBAL SIGHTS
1. The Treasury at Petra, Jordan
2. The Grand Canal, Venice
3. The Masai Mara, Kenya
4. Sydney Harbour Bridge
5. Taroko Gorge, Taiwan
6. Kings Canyon, Northern Territory, Australia
7. Cappadoccia caves, Turkey
8. Lake Titicaca, Peru and Bolivia
9. Cable Beach, Broome, Western Australia
10. Jungfraujoch railway, Switzerland

Who cares? Tell 'em to stay home, if they don't like us.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:33 am
@Equus,
Equus wrote:
I nominated as bottom ten worst the World's Largest Prairie Dog in Oakley, Kansas. It is a painted concrete bad sculpture rising an impressive 15 feet off the prairie. Thousands of bored drivers trying to drive through from Kansas City to Denver have been amazed by this miracle of modern science.

http://www.popculturecorn.com/butter/issues/jun00/article-placetobe1.html

I second that nomination.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 10 Mar, 2011 10:33 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
... For really awesome, you should visit the Four Corners Monument in - now get this - NM, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. The sensation of seeing the actual four lines, which most of us thought were imaginary, leaves many people speechless.

We did that during our trip when we passed through your town 2 years ago, Roger. The kids enjoyed it.

(BTW, it took me an hour do drive through Farmington ... remind me not to attempt that again.)
0 Replies

withoutpeers

Fri 20 May, 2011 07:40 am
1. The Eiffel Tower, Paris
...... The most beautiful and interesting man-made structure in the world.

2. The Louvre, Paris
...... This museum is the guardian of the Ultimate Secret of the Universe: The Mona Lisa. If you understand DaVinci's painting you understand God.

3. Times Square, New York
...... Only at night and standing on the top step of the ruby-red TKTS glass staircase behind 47th Street can Times Square be totally illuminating to the soul.

4. Las Ramblas, Barcelona
5. Statue of Liberty, New York
...... Walking up the spiral staircase to finally reach the windows in her crown and become the eyes of liberty shining out is one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had.

6. Spanish Steps, Rome
...... Just hanging out with others sitting on those steps is amazing.

7. The White House, Washington DC
...... Sad disappointment lately. The place is hunkered down was so much security you have to ask yourself why. If George Washington came back today and saw America he would probably break down and cry.

8. The Pyramids, Egypt
9. The Brandenburg Gate, Berlin
...... It's not about the Gate. It's about who is standing there. I took a picture of a German girl when I was there. It is one of my fondest memories.

10.The Leaning Tower of Pisa
...... Running up the leaning steps was so much fun! And leaning over the edge of the leaning tower was scary. How many buildings have you been in that are leaning?! So much fun!
0 Replies

dadpad

Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:58 pm
excellent
0 Replies

carolgreen616

Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:08 pm
@Shapeless,
France is really a travelling country ,you have a lot of choices
cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Aug, 2012 05:06 pm
@carolgreen616,
A tourist attraction at Yellowstone National Park.

View My Video
0 Replies

Jeff Lee

Thu 4 Apr, 2013 04:39 am
@Shapeless,
Hello Friends,

The Acropolis. The Eiffel Tower. The Great Wall of China. Sometimes, following the well-worn path really is the best way to appreciate a destination. Sure, we roused your ire with our recent coverage of the World's Worst Tourist Traps, but we also know there are some sights you just can't miss. You may still end up waiting in long lines, but there's a reason why our best tourist attractions are worth the wait.

Thanks and Regards,
Jeff Lee

0 Replies

robertcrowden11

Sat 10 Oct, 2015 05:14 am
According to me its Albany in Georgia, Last time I am going with my family , enjoy lots of things in Albany with great and specious memories.
0 Replies

robertcrowden11

Tue 20 Oct, 2015 10:05 pm
According to me best attraction is Montgomery in Alabama . I have visit last year with my family , enjoy lots , I have never to forget those memories .
0 Replies

robertcrowden11

Mon 26 Oct, 2015 05:37 am
According to me these are best place
Niagara Falls
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Times Square IN New York City
Epcot Buena Vista, FL
Seattle Space Needle Seattle, WA
Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Boston, MA