X files is it the biggest load of rubbish ever

lovejoy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:51 pm
I just watched the X files after 10 years or so and it is still as big a load of rubbish as it was 16 years ago

What is the point to this drivel?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,866 • Replies: 34
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:16 am
People like spooky stuff, plus plots about the government knows all sorts of extraordinary phenomena that it's not letting on.

The setting was also modern, in the sense the hero and heroine were not larger than life figures, but two people trying to get the job done on one hand, and trying to avoid flak from the boss on the other.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:43 am
It was just FUN to watch. Not everything has to be intellectually stimulating...does it? Well...not for everyone...I am what I am I guess.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
I loved it then; still love the re-runs.

Chacun a son gout.
0 Replies

jnkie

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:36 am
The first season or two of X-files were great. They had variety and were a perfect distraction from the mundane. But when they started focussing on the whole "The Aliens are responsible for everything and the government knows and is covering it up" thing, I kinda lost interest. I still watch it though, but I make a point not to enjoy it as much Laughing

Its supposed to be relaxing. If you want deep and stimulating read a book.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:31 am
You are right Jinkie...the whole Government Conpiracy with Aliens and all...got old quick. I LOVED the ones that had creepym unexplainable things in them though...some were just gross...Do you remember the family of inbreeds that kept their Mother under the bed and procreated with her? SO WIERD! That's not one of my favorite, but strangely it is the only one I can remember.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:34 am
Sit down lovejoy, for what Im about to tell you may rock your world. Professional wrestling isnt real.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:39 am
Yeah, the early X-Files were the best, though the early intimations of the government/alien whatever were cool... the first time you saw the eyes get all black, etc. Then they painted themselves into a corner and it became anti-climactic.

I loved Chupacabra, and the Feejee Mermaid -- I think the latter is the one where Scully chomped a cockroach, and that wasn't a special effect! She did it! (I adore Gillian Anderson and think she and Duchovny had great chemistry, BEFORE they were supposed to fall in love anyway -- they were much more believable as platonic soul mates/ foils. You could sense that they had giggle fits before and after any love scenes.)
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:43 am
Ewww... YEA Chupacabra. And the one where that man could get into drawers. All you saw were the eyes in a little drawer...holy cow...so good! And one of the earlier ones where the victims kept showing up in the background of pictures taken by polaroids? That was good too! Yea...I have to say I love the X-files.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:45 am
Yes, I loved the earlier seasons, the creepier the better.

The one with the cute little evil genius twin girls was one of the creepiest for me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
I believe that "The Twilight Zone" was also made up, but Ill get back to you on that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:48 am
Im having trouble, is Google down this AM?
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 10:52 am
farmerman wrote:
Sit down lovejoy, for what Im about to tell you may rock your world. Professional wrestling isnt real.

You have stunned me Farmerman, it will take me some time to come to terms with this revelation, I don't know where to start Sad
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:30 pm
Unlike others, I think the show was good right on up to the last episode… which I happened to watch just this evening.

If others think the show corny, so be it, but the show will be seen within a decade or so as on par with the likes of classic TV shows such as the Lucy Show for continuous quality of writing, directing, and acting.

I would place the episodes "Home," "'Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (which earned Emmy awards for writing and Peter Boyle's acting), "Musing of a cigarette smoking man" ( the psychological anatomy of a thoughtful assassin) "Beyond the Sea" (with a stellar guest spot by Brad Dourif), and the twofer of "Duane Barry/Ascension" equal to any standard tv program. The "monster-of-the-week," from the liver-eating elasticman Tooms, the human Seafluke, and the vampire with decades of patience (in season 8) were as cool as they come.

Even the funny programs, like "Post-Modern Prometheus," the Unnatural" (about a baseball loving alien disguised as a 1947 home-run hitting Negro) and the freak show episode, "Humbug," were better than anything on the tube throughout the 90's.

The male-female team of Mulder and Scully also broke new ground by elevating the female part of M/F TV teams to equal status and competence to the male. I may have lost count but Scully saved Mulder life 5-6 times while Mulder saved hers (including the x files film) 7 or 8 times. So for young female viewers Scully was a role model of competence, and not a typical damsel in distress.

Nine years in television is akin to infinity minus one for that type of art work; here today and gone tomorrow, but week after week the x files delivered a well written, well acted, whodunit that ranged from alien bounty hunters running around Washington DC stabbing people in the back of the neck to sulfurous spores in the Cascades that turned people's lungs into stone, to camouflaged cannibalistic Indians in the Okefenokee swamps of Florida… and of course the Jersey Devil.

Some shows were written by notable authors; William Gibson "Kill Switch, "First Person Shooter" and Steven King "Chinga."

And a nod to "The Lone Gunmen," RIP. Only a geek can appreciate another geek.

Of my top five TV programs it is up there at the top with "The West Wing, "The Sopranos," "Mash," and "The Twilight Zone."

Where else could a dialogue like this make such sense and be just as laughable for being spoken so nonchalantly.

From "Terms of Endearment" (year 6)

Classic case of demon fetal harvest?

Only on the X files.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 05:02 am
I read somewhere that Gillian Anderson had a heckuva time getting the role of Scully -- she was supposed to be a bit more babealicious. But she really fought for it, and I think Duchovny fought for her too, and ended up having a huge influence on the character.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
I'll take your word for that sozobe, what is certain beyond all doubt is that without the charisma of the two principal players the X files would never have made it
0 Replies

LaneyS

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:29 pm
You know, that's one of the main ones I remember too! it was awful. About like Texas Chain saw Massacre - once is too much.

mismi40 wrote:
You are right Jinkie...the whole Government Conpiracy with Aliens and all...got old quick. I LOVED the ones that had creepym unexplainable things in them though...some were just gross...Do you remember the family of inbreeds that kept their Mother under the bed and procreated with her? SO WIERD! That's not one of my favorite, but strangely it is the only one I can remember.
Laughing
0 Replies

justcallmeblue

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 06:50 am
mismi40 wrote:
It was just FUN to watch. Not everything has to be intellectually stimulating...does it? Well...not for everyone...I am what I am I guess.

hun. if television ws meant to be intellectually simulating, crap shows like the real world, pimp my ride and the flavor of love would have been canceled a long time ago.

we need more shows like modern marvels and how its made.
0 Replies

justcallmeblue

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:00 am
i remember one of those episodes scared the living sh** out of me!
there was this freaky little kid from a third world counrty with no legs, who would ride around on the litttle dollies mechanics use to roll under cars. The little kid would crawl up inside people and kill them and use them as human flash puppets. (he had a brownish reddish orange tint to his skin as a result of the bloodstains) and only children could see past his disguises. the only warning you had before he killed you was a mysterious *squeak squeak squeak* I can never go into a public bathroom now, without being a little paranoid that that damn kid is going roll under the stall divider. I'm going to hide under my desk now and try to make the bad thoughts go away.

my aunt loved this show so much she named her dog skully.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:29 pm
That wasn't the creepy kid in the next stall, it was the creepy Senator Craig.
0 Replies