Holy Cow... RIP Phil Rizzuto, 89...

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:27 am
Phil Rizzuto, Yankees Shortstop, Dies at 89

Phil Rizzuto, the sure-handed Hall of Fame Yankees shortstop nicknamed The Scooter, who punctuated his extended Yankee life as a broadcaster with birthday wishes to nuns and exclamations of "Holy cow!" died today. He was 89. His death was confirmed by the Yankees. Rizzuto played for the Yankees from 1941 to 1956. His departure was abrupt. No longer willing to carry an aging, seldom-used infielder, the team cut him on Old-Timers' Day. Soon after, he began calling Yankee games for WPIX-TV/Channel 11 and did not leave that role until 1996.
(from the NYT)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,239 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
Rizzuto was an "unconventional" broadcaster. Funny, unfocused, but knowledgable. I enjoyed listening to him, Red Barber, and Mel Allen back in the sixties.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 04:04 pm

it seemed like his voice was everywhere when i was growing up -- yankee games, commercials, meatloaf albums...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:38 pm
I've never watched sports...but I remember Phil as been the spokesman for "The Money Store"

This is Phil Rizzuto for The Money Store
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:54 pm
I watched the Yankees when I was a kid, with early tv, in NY, late 1949-50, and in Chicago area, still a kid, late 1950-1955. Don't remember him sportscasting...

Rest in Peace.
0 Replies