Hell's Kitchen

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 11:31 pm
Is anyone else completely obsessed with this show? My husband and I have become addicted! I watch a lot of reality television, but my husband usually refuses to watch it. He can never wait until Monday's, now! I give this one two thumbs up....and a wink! Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,807 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:24 pm
There's something about that madman, Gordon Ramsey, that never fails to entertain. Smile

I especially love it when some customer comes up to complain about their dinner taking too long, and he insults them -- in that special way that only he can.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:23 am
If you like that show, then read Kitchen Confidential.

that book is excellent!
You will never eat brunch again.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:16 am
Why, shewolfn?

I like Gordon Ramsay Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:38 pm
I do too.

It is the things he has to SAY in that book that make you realize just what it is that you are paying for when your order 'brunch' or fish specials..

Not to mention the lay outs of restaurants..

it is creepy, sickening, and just a f-n hoot to read.
I loved it.

It was one of the only books I have read in the past ten years that was bent in half to be tucked into my pocket so that any time I had a minute to read, no matter where I was, I could read that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:08 pm
I am currently working in a restaurant and I would love to know what he says. Can you give me a hint? I 've always had my own reasons for being a picky eater, but after working in a restaurant, I have even more!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:25 pm
I get my copy back in about 2 days from my friend.

Let me have the book in hand so that I can actually quote ( because it isnt so funny/gross/interesting when I say it. Laughing .) and I will probably PM you so that I dont dish out a real spoiler or two.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:34 pm
You're on! I love getting the skinny on the inside stuff Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:02 am
Mame,

While you're waiting for the Wolf lady's book to be returned, you can get a glimpse of it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_Confidential

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Adventures-Culinary-Underbelly/dp/0060934913
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:03 am
Gordon and FOX have a new show this Fall based upon the Kitchen Confidential book.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:06 am
Shocked

and I dont have TV

waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
Thanks, Butrflynet! The book looks good Smile Shewolfn, never mind! We'll regale you with tales from the show Smile

They don't bleep out the cuss words up here, and boy, what a mouth that Ramsay has - heh heh! Every other word is F**k!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Yeah, I've heard on his new show, he's even wilder than he is on Hell's Kitchen. That should be good stuff!

I've heard of Kitchen Confidential, and I've got it on my list of books to read. But after reading shewolf's review, I'm going to read it right away!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
Kitchen Confidential is by Anthony Bourdain, not Gordon Ramsay.

They're kinda different guys, though they both have a coupla t.v. programs on the go.

Love Bourdain, can tolerate Ramsay in Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - can't handle the staginess of Hell's Kitchen.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
We have two conversations going on here: one is on the book, and the other is about Gordon Ramsay.

I agree with your comments, ehBeth, about his shows. I've seen nothing of Bourdain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Mame - Bourdain was in Vancouver for a book reading not too long ago (he seems to be there about ever y6 - 10 months). A few of my foodie friends went out for it - said he was even more enlightening in person than in his books.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:49 am
I'd go and see Ramsay Smile

What do you think of Bobby Flay, as a cook? I saw a documentary on him on Chefology... he started really young. My husband calls him Johnny-One-Note but he doesn't realize a) that everybody specializes in something, and b) he can cook other styles very well. I'm ambivalent about him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:59 am
Mame - a couple of the posters seem to have the two mixed together

Butrflynet wrote:
Gordon and FOX have a new show this Fall based upon the Kitchen Confidential book.

(the Kitchen Confidential/Bourdain show was proposed for the Fall 2005 schedule on Fox)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:02 am
I'm not too impressed with Ramsay's recipes, so I don't think I'd bother with him or any of his cookbooks.

Bobby Flay's got some interesting recipes. I don't find him that interesting of a speaker/personality (based on the programming I've seen). So, Flay - maybe the cookbooks.

Mario Batali and Ming Tsai are two of the chefs I'd go see - and whose recipes I like.

I'm working through Ricardo Larrivee's Weekend Cooking as part of my online food group's yearlong project - another cook/chef I'd be interested in seeing in person.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:03 pm
I agree about Flay's personality. Don't know much about Batali - only seen him a couple of times on Iron Chef America and I've never heard of Ming Tsai or Larrivee.

I'd be interested in trying a couple of Lyn Crawford's recipes, as well as the David fellow who has been on Restaurant Makeover. He likes his food fresh, tasty and simple, as do I. Wish I could remember his last name.
0 Replies