Increasing child support without lawyers help.

fishin

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:10 pm
martybarker wrote:
My kids aren't spoiled by all means. A car is not a need but a convenience for both myself and the kids. What I'm wondering is if my kids are getting what is fair in regards to the fact that my ex's salary exceeds $200,000/year with perks.

Throw the concept of "fair" out the window. There is no "fair".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:19 pm
fishin wrote:
martybarker wrote:
But what about the case of someone making a lot of money. I don't understand this.

In other words, if you think the amount paid should exceed the maximum listed in the table (based on total income exceeding the $7,000/month limit in the table) you have to document the reasons - i.e. you need to keep your reciepts and track every expense and show them to the court.

<snip>

But basically what it all boils down to is that the State of WA has determined that the maximum cost to raise 2 children in your state is $1,892/month. That amount is split between both parents based on the proportion of their net incomes. If you think child support should exceed that amount then it is up to you to prove it with valid needs (and documentation of those needs!). Once you provide that documenattion to the courts, the judge decides if the numbers are legitimate and reasonable.

The level of your former spouse's income is less important now than your ability to document what your children need and what that costs.

Paper paper paper.

You've got to document everything.

Then the judge can determine what is appropriate, and whether your former spouse should be contributing more to the upkeep of the children.

(and don't forget to paper your requests for his W2's)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 02:26 pm
OK, I'll admit that I haven't been keeping any receipts. I will definitely do this starting now and see what I come up with after a year.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
Yeah, you'll be needing those reciepts and going to court without them, I believe, would be a waste of time.

Save everything, Marty!
0 Replies