justalurker wrote: Gary Slusser wrote:
You missed these
I didn't miss a thing...
Yes you did....
I didn't make up the definition. If you don't like the definition then you can take that up with www.thefreedictionary.com
As Sean Connery said in the Untouchables... "here endeth the lesson".
Yeah you certainly live in movie land make believe all right...
I didn't make up the definitions I posted either, if you don't like them look them up at:
Here is the rest of what your link says, which you must have missed (note there are other definitions than the 6th one you use? Try 4 a & b.
a. Employment in duties or work for another, as for a government: has been in the company's service for 15 years.
b. A government branch or department and its employees: the diplomatic service.
a. The armed forces of a nation: joined the service right after college.
b. A branch of the armed forces of a nation.
3. The performance of work or duties for a superior or as a servant: found the butler's service to be excellent.
a. Work done for others as an occupation or business: has done service for us as a consultant.
b. An act or a variety of work done for others, especially for pay: offers a superior service to that of his competitors; provides full catering services.
5. A department or branch of a hospital staff that provides specified patient care: the anesthesiology service.
6. Installation, maintenance, or repairs provided or guaranteed by a dealer or manufacturer: a dealer with full parts and service.
7. A facility providing the public with the use of something, such as water or transportation.
a. Assistance; help: was of great service to him during his illness.
b. An act of assistance or benefit; a favor: My friend did me a service in fixing the door.
a. Active devotion to God, as through good works or prayer.
b. A religious rite.
a. The serving of food or the manner in which it is served.
b. A set of dishes or utensils: a silver tea service.
11. Sports The act, manner, or right of serving in many court games; a serve.
12. Copulation with a female animal. Used of male animals, especially studs.
13. Law The serving of a writ or summons.
14. The material, such as cord, used in binding or wrapping rope.
15. An answering service.
tr.v. ser·viced, ser·vic·ing, ser·vic·es
1. To make fit for use; adjust, repair, or maintain: service a car.
2. To provide services to.
3. To make interest payments on (a debt).
a. To copulate with (a female animal). Used of a male animal, especially studs.
b. Slang To have sex with.
1. Of or relating to the armed forces of a country.
2. Intended for use in supplying or serving: a service elevator; the service entrance.
3. Offering repairs or maintenance: a service guarantee; a road service area.
4. Offering services to the public in response to need or demand: a service industry.
at (someone's) service
Ready to help or be of use.
be of service
To be ready to help or be useful.