Anyone following the PGA?

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:53 pm
I want Woods to win this time <holds breath>.

I've a soft spot for Verplank too.

When I was a teen, I went with my dad to some tourneys at Rancho Park in LA. Was part of Arnie's Army and a bunch of other people's as well.

Haven't really followed golf all these years, except peripherally. Did enjoy John McPhee's article on Oakmont in the New Yorker recently.

Link to NYTimes article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,987 • Replies: 15
No top replies

lmur

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:39 pm
Golf-nut here, following along. Tiger just continues to amaze.

I liked this story Arnie tells about his dedicated "army" of fans. As his golfing-powers waned, he became less competitive. One of the side-effects of this was that he had to start his rounds earlier at the weekends (the order of play for the final two rounds of a golf tournament is result-based, with those leading the tournament teeing-off last).

At one particular tournament, Arnie qualified for the weekend, but in last place, meaning he'd be first to tee-off on Saturday morning. He arrived on the tee box - the sun not yet risen - to find his fans waiting, dressed in night-caps and gowns and carrying candles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:57 pm
That's quite a vision...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:02 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6942496.stm

Looks like we lost Verplank...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:33 pm
I repeat Furio's comment on the Sopranos
"Golf"!
"Stupid f o k i n game"
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:11 pm
farmerman wrote:
I repeat Furio's comment on the Sopranos
"Golf"!
"Stupid f o k i n game"

And obscene amounts of prize money. sponsors should have to give 12 the prize money to an african nation before being allowed to sponsor a Tornament.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:17 pm
So you guys are not so good at golf, huh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:42 pm
bunch of tinkerbelles and they strut around like some body gves a ****. If golf were to be banned tomorrow, Id never know it till I read it on the front sports page.

Awful waste of irrigation water. Even in the east coast. More water is evaporated and lost by shallow losses than can go into recharge. Then they add all these damn chemicals to the irrigation so they have these sterile greens and fairways.
I say we load all golf courses with hungry hyenas and turn em loose. No handicaps for missing limbs, play or die. Now that Id watch.
I think Id rather watch Texas Hold=em, or even bowling , than a golf match.

Sorry osso, some people hate golf. I played it twice in my life and both times I was shitfaxced drunk so it didnt much matter. Id have had just as much fun smackin weasels with my putter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
I agree with you on golf courses, farmer, agree quite heartily.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:15 am
there's something about watching Woods on the last round of a major that transcends golf's stupidity....three hours til tee time...I'll be watching!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:12 pm
Hmmm, drive a nail through my head or watch golf. I gotta say, I think Im gonna go for the nail in my head.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:22 pm
What size nail would you like with that "order?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:57 pm
Two people, Austin and Els, are -6 while Woods is at -8. He has six holes left to play, they have either 4 or 5, as of a few minutes ago, ESPN. Getting a little interesting....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:13 pm
Uh oh, now Woods is -7 and they're -6...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 04:25 pm
There's been some improvement. Woods is at 15th now... and they're at least two away from him...

(talking to myself, thinking I should go do something useful)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 05:17 pm
She says to self, ok, he did it, good.
0 Replies