Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:14 pm
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the word "Israel" in the index of the Bible? Any Bible? I was flabbergasted to see that there is no mention made of Israel - why is this?

Thanks,

Bathsheba
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,128 • Replies: 60
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 11:19 pm
A Google search for concordance and a concordance search for Israel turned this LINK
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 11:46 pm
Thanks for the link. I BM'd it.

Do you know why Israel is mentioned in the Bible so much, but not in any Bible index? I looked in my King James in the back - nothing. Kind of weird.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 03:07 pm
I am not sure, but isn't the whole Bible about Israel? Why would they need to put it in the index? There would be too many references.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 03:19 pm
Your choice of a username is interesting Bathsheba -- considering your first post is about biblical names..

Would you care to explain why you chose it?
0 Replies

eternjc

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 05:53 pm
Interesting. I checked out my bible, it doesn't index it either. The bible isn't ALL about Israel, but Celo's right. The word's used 2576 times in the KJV, it wouldn't be worth mentioning it in a small index - it would just take too much space!

(Thanks neologist for the bible reference link!)
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 10:50 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Your choice of a username is interesting Bathsheba -- considering your first post is about biblical names..

Would you care to explain why you chose it?

It's an interesting name. I don't really have any other explanation!
0 Replies

danny boy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
Re: Where?
bathsheba wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the word "Israel" in the index of the Bible? Any Bible? I was flabbergasted to see that there is no mention made of Israel - why is this?

Thanks,

Bathsheba

If you look in the most ancient manuscripts many things are not there......
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:37 pm
danny_boy wrote:
bathsheba wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum.

Thanks,

Bathsheba

?? What ancient manuscripts are you referring to? And what 'things' aren't there? Curious statement, danny boy!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:26 am
bathsheba wrote:
danny_boy wrote:
bathsheba wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum.

Thanks,

Bathsheba

?? What ancient manuscripts are you referring to? And what 'things' aren't there? Curious statement, danny boy!
Danny Boy is right. I searched the ancient manuscripts and have yet to find anything about how to fix the power window in my old Chevy. Those old fogies didn't know no-thin'.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:07 pm
Laughing You mean I won't find instructions on how to run my PC either? Very Happy
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 11:57 pm
Not the modern versions of the computer anyways.

You guys have a good sense of humor. Do some a2kers actually meet occasionally...really?
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:15 pm
Being new here I don't know that answer. Sorry!

Bathsheba
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 01:07 pm
Anybody mention the part of how Jacob got to be known as Israel? It became his name long before the nation of Israel. It was through his twelve sons that the family became a nation, literally the nation that came from Jacob or Israel. (See Genesis 32:24-28)
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 01:36 pm
it's interesting to study the prophecies mentioned on Israel. many people today believe God is done with the jews but that isn't true. there are so many prophecies on God redeeming a remnant of israel in the endtimes. a remnant that will call Christ their Messiah.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:38 pm
Are you talking about the spiritual Israelites, those whose circumcision is of the heart and for whom God's laws are written in their hearts? (Romans 2:29)

The house of the natural Jews has been abondoned to them. (Matthew 23:38)
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:09 pm
Israel is no where as the old testament was written in ancient hebrew, its just the translation
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:27 pm
God is done with the jews
Kate, neologist has a good point. Becoming a nation once again just puts them (Israel/Jews) in line with all the other nations. They are a part of the world. All nations that exist today are in line for serious trouble soon to come upon them. (Daniel 2:44; John 17:15, 16)
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:25 am
neo you forgot to add vs 39 in matthew 22..." and i say to you, you shall see me no more til you say " Blesssed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."
and when will this happen. as prophecied in zecheriah, malachi,haggai and revelation. the physical line of israel will be saved ( a remnant) during the end times. and those israelites will actually see Christ coming out of the clouds and mourn bc they realize he is the one they pierced and they will repent and follow him. if you want some actual scriptures i can give those. but there are so many and they are within the books i stated. also read romans paul talks of physical israel and their coming salvation (chp 11) and he ends with this...11:25,26 " For i do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery lest you should be wise in your opinion, that blindness in part has happened to ISRAEL UNTIL the fullness of the gentiles has come and so all israel will be saved as it is written..." (all israel means a remnant ) those that will be left after the tribulation) the ones that will be refined as malachi states. paul also says in 11:28 " Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning election they are beloved for the sake of the father.

God made a covenant with israel thousands of yrs ago. Even though they have broke their part, he never breaks his part. and according to scripture, one day a remnant of israel will be saved bc they will repent and believe in Christ. There are so many prophecies that talk of israel(not the spiritual israel) being restored and they will.
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:14 pm
God made a covenant with israel thousands of yrs ago.
Which covenant are you referring to, since there was more than one?
Abrahamic Covenant (Gen 12:2, 3) or Law Covenant (among others)?

Paul stated that the Law Cov was "temporary" and that the Abrahamic Cov would bring lasting benefits to ALL nations through Christ. (Gal 3:14-19) Also, the new covenant of Jer 31:31.

The new covenant was not made with fleshly Israel but with spiritual Israel, consisting of Jews and non-Jews, for Paul wrote: "Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham's seed, heirs with reference to a promise." (Gal 3:29)
0 Replies