Bear in the Big Blue House

Tarah

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 02:56 pm
When I watch Bear in the Big Blue House with my baby granddaughter, I see that Bear has a thin cord going from his neck to his paw.

I hope I haven't stumped you with this one because I'd love to know why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:00 pm
I've noticed he's kinda lopsided.

Maybe the person in the Bear suit has one hand up in Bear's head to manipulate his face/ mouth, the other hand is in one arm, and then the cord is a way to manipulate the other arm from up inside Bear's head?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 06:09 pm
This shows the lopsidedness a bit:

http://www.laughingplace.com/files/stories/20050302/bearbluehouse.jpg

OK so imagine that the hump slightly right of center (our view) is someone's head. Someone's right arm is up in Bear's head doing this and that (eyebrows, mouth and Bear's right arm via a cord). Someone's left arm is in Bear's left arm, and that's the expressive arm (with fingers that move individually). Make sense?

(I've only seen that show a few times so might not be true, but I definitely remember thinking hmm, he's lopsided, and wondering why. Didn't notice the cord.)
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 02:34 am
Thank you sozobe. I'm smiling whilst typing as we're talking about something so unimportant - but niggly!

What I should have said was that the cord goes from neck to left paw. I think that's the expressive arm so it gets even more bewildering.

If you watch it again (presumably accompanied by an infant) you'll see it's like a shimmering thread that shows itself more at the beginning of the programme when Bear goes into the house.

How sad am I!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
Maybe the person's arms are really in the costume's arms, and the cord is how the face is manipulated...?

2 arms + cord for controlling 3 areas (left arm, head, right arm) makes sense to me...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:18 am
Not sure about this particular costume but it is probably similar.

In Big Bird, the mouth and head is controlled by one hand inside the costume. One arm is used to control one of the characters arms. The other arm of the costume is tied off in some way. The head is on a system the person wears like a backpack. The controls are run from lower.

By putting the non functioning arm on a string tied to the head it would move with the head or it could be capable of being manipulated with a seperate control inside.

On viewing the opening credits on YouTube, Bear's right arm only moves up and down consistent with a simple pulley system.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:33 am
Oh, my! He's not REAL?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:43 am
my cousin was born with spinal bifada....the cord as you call it is a very expensive and high maintenance prosthetic without which he could not walk upright at all.

He lives in constant pain and to make him the focus of discussion in such a callous way disturbs and disapoints me. Give him a break.
0 Replies

Tuscany

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 03:51 am
squinney wrote:
Oh, my! He's not REAL?

That's what I was going to ask???? Shocked Laughing

He's so cute Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 05:18 am
Bi-Polar Bear

I'm so sorry to have disrespected a member of your family and no wonder you're a little grizzly bear.

However I'd have thought spinal bifida was serious enough without giving him the break you asked for.

Do we all agree that Tutter's a real mouse? Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Tarah wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear

I'm so sorry to have disrespected a member of your family and no wonder you're a little grizzly bear.

However I'd have thought spinal bifida was serious enough without giving him the break you asked for.

Do we all agree that Tutter's a real mouse? Very Happy

madam, I am a polar bear. grizzly indeed <snort>
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:35 pm
You've seen my picture - if you could bear my company and like teddies, perhaps we should get together. Maybe have a picnic.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:54 pm
looks like you might be serving up some of my favorites.....
0 Replies